EDC for Self Defence for a Woman

Status
Not open for further replies.

lednight

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for an EDC for a woman for self defense, with bright strobe and easy to carry, any help would be appreciated!!

Raysbeam

Enlightened
I am looking for an EDC for a woman for self defense, with bright strobe and easy to carry, any help would be appreciated!!

Hello from Edmonton, how wide are your hands? Do you wear loose or tight clothing? How much output do you want? Do you plan to use it for extended periods or just occasionally?

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlights are not self-defense tools. They are tools for awareness, which is key in self-defense, but they aren't to be relied upon for actual defensive action. In the event you improvise it as a weapon, what you actually need is training to wield it effectively. By all means, get a light for her, but also get her training in something like krav-maga, pepper spray, or if applicable proper training and a firearm.

So I would focus more on finding a good light, and less on it being a defensive tool. If you want ultimate reliability, Marco's suggestions are great.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

Tools are useless without training. I would suggest you take a self defense class with your friend. Work out with her, concentrate on running a fast mile. As for the flashlight, Surefire Defender.

kelmo

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on what is meant by self-defense. If you just need to somehow distract the attacker for a split second and run away, then any of these lights will do. If damage to the attacker is implied, then the strobe will not help, here is a large flashlight, to use it as a yavara. In this case, it is advisable to take a few self-defense lessons. At this place, I found a very good selection of literature on this subject, including a brochure from one of the pioneers of yavara in US.

https://www.tirodtactical.com/yawara-stick-videos-info

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol self defence flashlight, only with a gun attached to it. otherwise you are fooling yourself, and putting in even more danger.

matt4350

Enlightened
Hurrah, in before lock.

But I will attempt to add value.... strobe is not a means of self-defence, despite what the marketing department would have you believe.

+1 on dotCPF's comment - awareness is what the light is for.

Flashlights are not self-defense tools. They are tools for awareness, which is key in self-defense, but they aren't to be relied upon for actual defensive action. In the event you improvise it as a weapon, what you actually need is training to wield it effectively. By all means, get a light for her, but also get her training in something like krav-maga, pepper spray, or if applicable proper training and a firearm.

This. Terrible choice for self defence. Pepper spray has got to be by far the best choice, outside of a firearm. Physical self defense, like any martial art, requires years of training to be really effective, especially if the woman is not man sized and of man strength. Pepper spray is a great equalizer.

PartyPete

Enlightened
Well, obviously avoid any dark, desolate areas. Although, due to their job that may not always be feasible for many women (and men alike).

A flashlight is a fine tool but I wouldn't could on it primarily for defensive purpose. Larger Maglites are the gold standard in this scenario but realistically most of us aren't going to carry a light that large every night, especially if this is a situation where you are simply walking from your work place to your car late at night.

So a flashlight would be handy nonetheless but consider a good pair of running shoes and some pepper spray first.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hurrah, in before lock.

But I will attempt to add value.... strobe is not a means of self-defence, despite what the marketing department would have you believe.

+1 on dotCPF's comment - awareness is what the light is for.

Absolutely, however there can be some value to having a strobe option. I would never rely on a strobe inducing any kind of effect on anyone threatening me but they have had some effect on some people. I believe that strobes on flashlights have had a disorienting effect on intoxicated people but even that is no guarantee.

I tend to respond to straight forward requests like the OP stated as though they have some idea what they are doing and are just looking for recommendations rather than assuming that they are newbies without a clue.

I could be wrong but the fact that the OP didn't comment on her job or where she worked or what hours and the type of people she might be encountering leads me to believe that they understand that a flashlight all by itself isn't going to be sufficient. But since this is a flashlight forum, why bring up any of the other aspects of self defense? They came here for advice about flashlights because maybe they don't have as much knowledge in that respect and want to hear about things they may not be aware of due to their own personal experience.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
OK, now that everyone who has an interest has added their two cents, I think we actually need some clarification from the OP as to what specific aspects are being inquired about.

lednight, please don't take this pile-on personally; CPF does have a longstanding discussion (& tradition) on this topic, you've just stirred the waters a little bit by dropping by. :)

Best regards,

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my 2 cents.

Depends on where like what country you are. Environment you're in and if would be attackers are violent, drugged up, or intoxicated.

Not talking bout pepper spray or tasers though one light has a built in taser but the ideal scenario is to get away before you're close enough for a taser and like the uk you ll be prosecuted not your attacker.

Led lights have come a long way.
Don't get too warm and I d barely recommend neutral. If it's warm and pleasant to you then it will be pleasant to your enemy even if their mind or brain is altered somewhat.

Intensity is the key but you want something intense, effective, blinding as much as realistic, between neutral to cool tint but not too cool as you then lose some visibility and depth perception and colors blend together or they do for me.
Malkoff hound dog is a great one but no strobe if I m correct. HDS 325 NLT excellent choice. I would recommend the Tactical Rotary unless you can find a high noon which do come up for sale occasionally 1 or 2 on here now if I m correct. Elzetta is another good one.
Regarding a tight beam or wide beam the ones I've mentioned have a nice tight beam and intense with good throw. What would be more beneficial in my opinion is a tight beam to blind, disorient so one can get away quickly. Keep in mind when it's dark and night vision is adapted a sudden blast of intense light isn't pleasant at all.

If I m wrong in what I ve said I apologize but this is from my own experience. I have not had the experience of close hand to hand combat but I ve had plenty of experience walking to the house late at night when the not so nice people are up and stirring.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only way a flashlight for self-defense will work is if the Actor believes the woman also has a firearm and can use it. A 200+ lumen flashlight will demonstrate to the Actor that the potential victim is prepared for confrontation as ordinary people do not carry 200+ lumen flashlights around. The potential victim also has to be well trained in verbal commands that a person with a firearm would typically use in a confrontation. For example, while shining the flashlight at the Actor the potential victim in a commanding voice will say "stop, do not come any closer"... "show me your hands"..."turn around and walk away". She could also say "police" which could be interpreted as either she is the police or she is calling for the police. She will want the Actor to think the former.

So, in terms of a flash light you will need one with over 200 lumens, that very easy to operate - as in press the on button from the rear of the light and the light turns on to 200+ lumens, that is very dependable, and one that she will carry all the time when in dark or dimly lit areas. I recommend the HDS 250 lumen Executive model.

If this women lives in part of the World that does not allow people to carry firearms a flash light is not going to help. Teach her skills such as situational awareness and avoidance.

The strobe feature is not going to help.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only way a flashlight for self-defense will work is if the Actor believes the woman also has a firearm and can use it. A 200+ lumen flashlight will demonstrate to the Actor that the potential victim is prepared for confrontation as ordinary people do not carry 200+ lumen flashlights around. The potential victim also has to be well trained in verbal commands that a person with a firearm would typically use in a confrontation. For example, while shining the flashlight at the Actor the potential victim in a commanding voice will say "stop, do not come any closer"... "show me your hands"..."turn around and walk away". She could also say "police" which could be interpreted as either she is the police or she is calling for the police. She will want the Actor to think the former.

So, in terms of a flash light you will need one with over 200 lumens, that very easy to operate - as in press the on button from the rear of the light and the light turns on to 200+ lumens, that is very dependable, and one that she will carry all the time when in dark or dimly lit areas. I recommend the HDS 250 lumen Executive model.

If this women lives in part of the World that does not allow people to carry firearms a flash light is not going to help. Teach her skills such as situational awareness and avoidance.

cool story, lol,

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend the HDS 250 lumen Executive model.

Having a high output flashlight in any part of the world is better than having nothing. I refer to the spineless law makers and enforcers in the UK where it's a sin to even think of "protecting" yourself and bad guys are rewarded rather than dealt with unless it's against the system.

The objective is deterrence and either fight or flight in this case flight. I have had my iPhone stolen out of my hand, dragged down the road by the car and unfortunately didn't have my light with me. If I did I could have gotten the license plate.

The streets of many places in the UK and other parts of the world are full of very bad and violent people. Acting as a police Officer will likely get you worse than robbed and bluffing often isn't an option. There are places I won't even go.
I ve had situations that when walking down a dark alley the HDS was my best defense, and it has saved me simply by the wow factor and intimidation as well as the Surefire E2DL 200 and 500 lumen model (no strobe).

Regarding the 250, depends on what tint you prefer as there is a variance among the coolness and most are too cool for much use outside of blinding someone however they are intense and unpleasant on the receiving end. If you're lucky you can find one that is not "too" cool but it's rare.
325 NLT has a more useful tint but not too warm and not too cool... very bright.

The High Noon is 200 lumens, like looking at the sun at noon hence the name and all three of these have a very similar beam reach at over 140 meters plus.

The Clicky or executive gives you limited function 3 level choices with maximum over ride if I remember correctly at any given time where the Rotary Tactical gives you max momentary, momentary strobe, and various other levels of constant on. You have 3 presets. With the "Rotary " you have 4 presets.

Elzetta are a company where you can choose various options and Malkoff you can choose tint in believe.

There are many many others but as mentioned above many factors have to be weighed including price...

I forgot to mention that with a decent flashlight you also increase your awareness around you and therefore can respond to any danger more quickly.

The other thing to think about is you get what you pay for... and when the device is for self protection you can't really put a price on that.

Great quality flashlights have saved my life in several different scenarios from walking in the dark late at night to working in busy traffic as well as riding a bicycle where the roads are skinny and cars don't care to crowd you.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
well god bless america then, at least some of us, in some states are lucky to be able to carry, and i'm not talking about flashlights

Kestrel

Flashaholic
My apologies to the OP, but any more OT & the thread is closed - not going to babysit here.
There have already been some good suggestions made, and much constructive discussion that has covered the topic rather well.
Best regards,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.