East Coast USA...Charge your cells

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Just a friendly reminder for anyone in Florida like me or the rest of the East coast up to the Carolina's, now would be a good time to charge your cells with Dorian headed our way. I have started charging my (25) 18650 cells now. Never know how bad or where this one will strike. (Now it looks like central Florida right where I am, but subject to change obviously).

It was supposed to be a minimum CAT 1 at East Coast landfall a day or 2 ago, now upgraded to a possible CAT 4 at landfall.

Be safe everyone.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reminder, I live in Prescott Az, and sometimes the surface of the earth can be hostile here, too. Sometimes, you never know when that is going to suddenly happen, either.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Miami will probably be spared, but that doesn't mean gas stations don't run out, or power ceases.

I gassed up today and lines were already forming and Race Trac was already out of middle/premium/ethanol free gasoline, but that's fine, since my Montero takes regular.

Topping off batteries now and have food and water.

Chris

Last edited:

mcm308

Enlightened
I knew it would be a cat 4 yesterday at lunchtime when local news said a cat 1. After PR, there was nothing to stop intensification. Would not surprise me if it hits cat5. Get ready down there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Candlepowerforums mobile app

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG-20170908-123716.jpg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
That's shaping up to be one perfectly-formed donut-hole hurricane, and the current plot shows it driving straight up the coast so it hits the maximum amount of coastline. Be safe out there, make sure the battery powered radio is ready..

delaware74b

Newly Enlightened
It's now officially at category 4 with 130mph sustained winds. I have friends and family in central Florida....

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well they have had plenty of warning so hopefully those in the path are at a safe location and those that are near them are buttoned up and ready. Good luck to all.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Yes, it is going up the coast now and going to destroy everything from my house to North Carolina, close to the shore it looks like. Going to be very bad if it does that. I will be fine but millions will be in a bad way I am afraid.

WDR65

Enlightened
I haven't started charging batteries yet. Probably will tomorrow. I have bought plenty of gas for my generators and chainsaws. I'm in the cone, twenty miles inland. It might be blasphemy but I'd rather not have to use any of it this year. Last year we were without power from Florence for 7.5 days.

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm going to move this to the Cafe given the title and direction it's taken. I'll leave a re-direct so everyone can find it. Stay safe and please continue to check in...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Stocked up on primaries. Lots of C and D cells for battery sipping mode available Maglites. 3 cell ML50's and 300's can run a couple hundred hours on eco mode. (About 20 lumens.)

We used those on tailstand mode during a few night power outage last winter. Enough ceiling bounce to see well thanks to the 50mm reflector. The trick was keeping the lizard warm.

The current models (today 9am) show this as potential tracking.
E99515-CE-985-C-4810-AAD7-9-E1630-AC6-AAD.jpg

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My last extended power outage was 2007... ice storm. Back then I didn't have a wide variety of lights and although the outage lasted over 4 days I didn't use up any alkalines at all as I had nimh and a car charger. I suggest folks make sure their gas tanks are topped off prior to this happening and make sure any items that do have car chargers you find the chargers for them prior to the storm hitting that way when you do drain something you can recharge it. I recharged about 20AAs in sets of 4 over the duration either sitting in the driveway or driving around getting food and other items like ice. I now have several car chargers for nimh and usb charging for my 18650s and phone and power banks also. Make sure if you have any power banks to top them off now too.

WDR65

Enlightened
Stores weren't crazy here this morning, nor were gas stations. Anybody who hasn't already stocked up needs to start now. The rush will start soon. Most large gas cans were already gone everywhere I went yesterday. D batteries were mostly gone at Wal-Mart mart. Didn't check at Walgreens this morning.

I'll start charging batteries today and filling water cans. Making and buying ice as well. I still have to prep my business but I have Tuesday for that.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, hurricane impacts are mostly a zero sum game. Somebody wins, somebody loses. Right now, Miami looks to be spared.

God bless everybody else and stay safe.

Chris

Walmart was a wild scene today. Lots of people buying water, camp stoves, propane, etc. Thankfully I am a camper/backpack hunter and have all kinds of dehydrated meals and gear for cooking. Lots of fresh batteries and somewhere north of 50 lights to choose from. A nice 25000 gallon water reserve just outside our back door (swimming pool with excellent camping water filters).

But we are on an island. We have a barrier island between us and the Atlantic, so flooding from the storm surge is the biggest threat. We'll go inland if the forecast gets worse, as we have a company house that sits empty most of the time in Summerville. Lived through Hurricane Hugo (which tore the roof off our house with us in it), and won't go through that again.

Good luck to all in the possible path, and prayers out for the people in the Caribbean.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't started charging batteries yet. Probably will tomorrow. I have bought plenty of gas for my generators and chainsaws. I'm in the cone, twenty miles inland. It might be blasphemy but I'd rather not have to use any of it this year. Last year we were without power from Florence for 7.5 days.

If it weren't for your join date I would have thought you were MrGunsnGear judging by your post. :)