The Fenix-Store        

Thread: East Coast USA...Charge your cells

Exclamation East Coast USA...Charge your cells

Just a friendly reminder for anyone in Florida like me or the rest of the East coast up to the Carolina's, now would be a good time to charge your cells with Dorian headed our way. I have started charging my (25) 18650 cells now. Never know how bad or where this one will strike. (Now it looks like central Florida right where I am, but subject to change obviously).

It was supposed to be a minimum CAT 1 at East Coast landfall a day or 2 ago, now upgraded to a possible CAT 4 at landfall.

Be safe everyone.

Default Re: East Coast USA...Charge your cells

Thanks for the reminder, I live in Prescott Az, and sometimes the surface of the earth can be hostile here, too. Sometimes, you never know when that is going to suddenly happen, either.
    Imalent R90TS. Acebeam two X65Vn, K75, X45vn70.2. Eagtac MX25L4CvnT XP-L. Fx TK75vnQ70. Nc TM06Svn 4 x XHP50.2. Meteor M43vn XP-L dd. P60vn Quad XP-L HD 2 cell host Cryos Cu head. Tnt TN36UTvn, TN42vn.

Miami will probably be spared, but that doesn't mean gas stations don't run out, or power ceases.

I gassed up today and lines were already forming and Race Trac was already out of middle/premium/ethanol free gasoline, but that's fine, since my Montero takes regular.

Topping off batteries now and have food and water.

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisGarrett; 08-29-2019 at 06:16 PM.
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

I knew it would be a cat 4 yesterday at lunchtime when local news said a cat 1. After PR, there was nothing to stop intensification. Would not surprise me if it hits cat5. Get ready down there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Flashaholic*

Be safe guys.

John 3:16

That's shaping up to be one perfectly-formed donut-hole hurricane, and the current plot shows it driving straight up the coast so it hits the maximum amount of coastline. Be safe out there, make sure the battery powered radio is ready..

It's now officially at category 4 with 130mph sustained winds. I have friends and family in central Florida....

Well they have had plenty of warning so hopefully those in the path are at a safe location and those that are near them are buttoned up and ready. Good luck to all.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Yes, it is going up the coast now and going to destroy everything from my house to North Carolina, close to the shore it looks like. Going to be very bad if it does that. I will be fine but millions will be in a bad way I am afraid.

Flashaholic*

I haven't started charging batteries yet. Probably will tomorrow. I have bought plenty of gas for my generators and chainsaws. I'm in the cone, twenty miles inland. It might be blasphemy but I'd rather not have to use any of it this year. Last year we were without power from Florence for 7.5 days.

I'm going to move this to the Cafe given the title and direction it's taken. I'll leave a re-direct so everyone can find it. Stay safe and please continue to check in...
    Wildflower seeds on the sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home...

Stocked up on primaries. Lots of C and D cells for battery sipping mode available Maglites. 3 cell ML50's and 300's can run a couple hundred hours on eco mode. (About 20 lumens.)

We used those on tailstand mode during a few night power outage last winter. Enough ceiling bounce to see well thanks to the 50mm reflector. The trick was keeping the lizard warm.

The current models (today 9am) show this as potential tracking.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 09-01-2019 at 08:58 AM.
    John 3:16

My last extended power outage was 2007... ice storm. Back then I didn't have a wide variety of lights and although the outage lasted over 4 days I didn't use up any alkalines at all as I had nimh and a car charger. I suggest folks make sure their gas tanks are topped off prior to this happening and make sure any items that do have car chargers you find the chargers for them prior to the storm hitting that way when you do drain something you can recharge it. I recharged about 20AAs in sets of 4 over the duration either sitting in the driveway or driving around getting food and other items like ice. I now have several car chargers for nimh and usb charging for my 18650s and phone and power banks also. Make sure if you have any power banks to top them off now too.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Flashaholic*

Stores weren't crazy here this morning, nor were gas stations. Anybody who hasn't already stocked up needs to start now. The rush will start soon. Most large gas cans were already gone everywhere I went yesterday. D batteries were mostly gone at Wal-Mart mart. Didn't check at Walgreens this morning.

I'll start charging batteries today and filling water cans. Making and buying ice as well. I still have to prep my business but I have Tuesday for that.

Unfortunately, hurricane impacts are mostly a zero sum game. Somebody wins, somebody loses. Right now, Miami looks to be spared.

God bless everybody else and stay safe.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Walmart was a wild scene today. Lots of people buying water, camp stoves, propane, etc. Thankfully I am a camper/backpack hunter and have all kinds of dehydrated meals and gear for cooking. Lots of fresh batteries and somewhere north of 50 lights to choose from. A nice 25000 gallon water reserve just outside our back door (swimming pool with excellent camping water filters).

But we are on an island. We have a barrier island between us and the Atlantic, so flooding from the storm surge is the biggest threat. We'll go inland if the forecast gets worse, as we have a company house that sits empty most of the time in Summerville. Lived through Hurricane Hugo (which tore the roof off our house with us in it), and won't go through that again.

Good luck to all in the possible path, and prayers out for the people in the Caribbean.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR65 View Post
    I haven't started charging batteries yet. Probably will tomorrow. I have bought plenty of gas for my generators and chainsaws. I'm in the cone, twenty miles inland. It might be blasphemy but I'd rather not have to use any of it this year. Last year we were without power from Florence for 7.5 days.
    If it weren't for your join date I would have thought you were MrGunsnGear judging by your post.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

Reading this thread makes me miss Sub Umbra (the more seasoned folks here know this isn't OT).

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Reading this thread makes me miss Sub Umbra (the more seasoned folks here know this isn't OT).
    I get that with every emergency weather thread..

The storm essentially parked on the Bahamas overnight, moving at 1 mph with 150+ mph winds and 15+ foot storm surge; their news radio is broadcasting instructions for how to best cut your ceiling for roof access, and the newscasters are openly saying they’re going to need assistance evacuating their building.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post

Sorry, but could you please explain what this means?

Quote Originally Posted by CREEXHP70LED View Post
    A good starting place. - Rest in Peace Sub_Umbra
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Pretty far away from the Carolina coast, but still concerned nonetheless.

Luckily my wife's friend got her into volunteer rescue/EMS so we have access to facilities if we lose power or worse. We are on well water so if electricity is interrupted, water is gone as well.

Hoping for the best for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by CREEXHP70LED View Post
    They are referring to @Sub_Umbra ... who was a member of CPF with many insightful and practical postings on preparedness.

I'll link up some threads below ....

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...gency-planning

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Water-Epiphany
    Last edited by archimedes; 09-02-2019 at 03:28 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Thanks guys for explaining. I read some of his posts and will read more later.

I just heard at least (5) confirmed dead in the Bahamas, but with that CAT 5 spinning that long in the same place with 185 MPH sustained winds, and gusts over 220 MPH I am sure that will number will unfortunately grow.

Be safe everyone!

FPL(Florida power & light) pretty much sent out an SOS due a forecast predicting a cat4 going right through the state. Electric crews, tree crews and every other support needed was there. I went down through my electric company. There were crews from New York, Massachusetts,Rhode Island, Vermont, Illinois, New Brunswick, Ontario, Louisiana,Georgia,Texas, New Hampshire, Oklahoma and probably a few more. The entire operation was impressive. The host utility has to set up where everybody is going to be roomed, how will they be fed, and what part of the state are we sending them. They handled it almost flawlessly. Of course the hurricane never hit, but they were ready.