POLL: Flickering in SureFire Aviator 2017 model (*not* A2 and *not* A2L)

Does your SureFire Aviator *2017 Model* flicker ?

• Total voters

archimedes

Flashaholic
I am a HUGE fan of the SureFire A2 (one of my favorite flashlights of all time) and also like the SF A2L. I want to try the latest Aviator, the so-called "2017" model, but there have been so many reports of flickering and related issues that I have been concerned about this.

This poll is to try to get some better sense of the scope of things, and I really encourage those with properly functioning lights to record that fact ( as otherwise we may see a "squeaky wheel effect" )

After entering your selection, please feel free to post your thoughts about this issue (specifically regarding the flickering and/or any repairs / replacements), in the thread here. It might also be useful to state which color emitter yours has, as well as whether it is working properly or not.

Note that this is NOT to replace the main discussion thread, as I posted this poll separately, so as not to be distracting from that. Note also that this is not, strictly speaking, about PWM (as I think the reported flickering is more irregular than that)

Thanks !

jarobi

Enlightened
Amber. First one developed flicker, replacement Aviator flickered out of the box.
Love the Aviator and its very concept, going to beat my head against this wall until I get one that works or can deal with the flicker.
Schrödinger's light.

Last edited:

u2u

Newly Enlightened
Purchased a new, but old lift to twist style, YG six weeks ago. Used every day since. Perfection in every way. Also a fan of the original A2 of which I have 4. Never a problem with them either...

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two of the 17 aviators. One red and one amber. Both off of eBay. Both came in the plain cardboard boxes. Not sure if that's typical packaging or indicative of refurb model but they both work just fine. One thing to note is that low level on amber model has a ramp to the output when turned on. Both white and amber mode. The red model however doesn't. Kind of disappointed that it didn't ramp since I like that feature but not a deal breaker. Both lights are the pull and twist model rather than just twist only.

jarobi

Enlightened
Both I've had were twist only and both ramped on low ever so slightly.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Amber version and they were working correctly when I gave them to a couple of police officers who were carrying 511 garbage.
Wish I could say that for the hi/lo tailcap'd Alphas I own. Both flicker.

My Aviator with an incan E head and Scout clicky tailcap is a super-sweet E-1 look alike with a 100 mA 219B Tana module. I aint giving that one away. Love the neutral tint and memory'd interface. I named it aviatEr1.

Last edited: