Non Strobe For Indoor Home Defense ?

kimo_james

Newly Enlightened
What should I be looking for as far as lumens , beam pattern, intensity, throw ?

PartyPete

Enlightened
Lots of different lights for different home defense scenarios. Maybe you could be a bit more specific as to your needs.

Are you looking for a weapon light? Something for indoors? Checking the outside perimeter of the house? Something throwy for checking further away?

kimo_james

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply .
I got some ideas from seeing this thread on CPF :
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?461153-EDC-for-Self-Defence-for-a-Woman

The primary scenario is for indoors ; I think the term is situational awareness .
I'm thinking maybe a high intensity non-strobe , single power (600 Lumens) with just an on/off tail clicker .
So I can momentarily distract the intruder and then Mace them .
Elzetta caught my attention ; Bones model ?
https://www.elzetta.com/product/bones/

Not looking for a weapon light .
Secondary scenario would be checking outside the house , and then further away .

kimo_james

Newly Enlightened
The Bones or some other model ?
What would be the model pick in Malkoff for a high / low option ?

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
unless we are talking about long maglite, the only thing you can do as SD is to blind the guy and use few seconds to run away or get a better self defence tool. you want as many lumens as you can get, so much that even after you shut off the light he'll still see it, for that you can't have too much light, i had hit my eye many times with powerful lights, during building and testing, even worst effect wear out in time, i hit my eyes once with 6 overdriven xhp50, around 10000-12000lm, for a minute or two i could not see anything, was afraid it would leave a permanent damage, but it all recovered. i do need reading glasses, but i still see just fine otherwise, i pass dmv test with flying colors, i think glasses are due to computer screens and my age rather than lights.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Bones or some other model ?
What would be the model pick in Malkoff for a high / low option ?

All that comes into my mind from Malkoff is either a 18650 Hound Dog or an MD3 body with an M91B drop in, both take a hi / lo switch. It's optional on the M91.
The Hound Dog is a similar size to the Bones and runs on a single 18650, but the beam is more focused and less floody. The M91B on MD3 runs on three CR123s or a pair of 18500 cells (also on an MD4 two 18650s or 4 cr123s - more runtime), has a smaller head than the HD but is longer. The beam will be floodier and more like the Bones.
All in all if the Bones grabs you, get it.
P

Edit: the Malkoff Wildcat is a pure flooder, it's like an Area Light and I don't know if you want a slightly more focused beam. It is amazing, though.
Have a look at flashlightguide.com there's lots of Malkoff and some Elzetta beamshots there. No Bones I'm afraid, but I think the AVS Flood is similar. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.
P

Edit: There's some Bones beamshots here....
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...es-flashlight-Elzetta-first-18650-light/page5

I didn't realise there was a choice of optics.
P

Last edited:

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
Do you have a size preference or battery type preference? For a "tactical" light I carry a Malkoff Bodyguard or Elzetta Alpha, but on my nightstand I keep The Elzetta Bravo with rotary tailcap and flood lens. The smaller lights are fine for the home role too and are easier to carry with you if you choose. I don't have it, but the Surefire Tactician seems like a good option too.

kimo_james

Newly Enlightened
Do you have a size preference or battery type preference? For a "tactical" light I carry a Malkoff Bodyguard or Elzetta Alpha, but on my nightstand I keep The Elzetta Bravo with rotary tailcap and flood lens. The smaller lights are fine for the home role too and are easier to carry with you if you choose. I don't have it, but the Surefire Tactician seems like a good option too.

Thanks for asking .
Don't have a size preference as this would be primarily a "nightstand " light .
If I got the Elzetta Bones , would consider using it as a night walking light as well .
Which in that case , something similar that was micro USB rechargeable , would be ideal .

I'm looking at this ; SureFire Stiletto :
https://www.surefire.com/stiletto-multi-output-rechargeable-pocket-led-flashlight.html

stiletto-quarter-angle.png

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
While you decide, you can go to the hardware store and pickup a ML50L Maglite 2C battery light. Set it up to program 3, which is momentary, full power, then eco. Twisting the head will focus spot to flood. Not too big either. Great light IMO.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire G2X Tactical, 600 lumens, single mode, runs on 2 x CR123's or a single 16650 rechargeable.

B&H Photo have them listed for $59, they can also be found on the Auction site for about $55.