The Fenix-Store        

Thread: Invisible IR light

Enlightened
    Born L.A. - NYC 2nd home - Rustbelt home base

Default Invisible IR light

I'm looking for an IR light for IR video work about 5 - 10 feet away. But the light has to be invisible more or less. From what I've seen the IR lights all give off some sort of glow. Do they make invisible IR lights?

Thanks

Default Invisible IR light

HDS has a IR light he’s doing and you can get a custom build. The lowest setting is like .02 lumens (if I m correct) or “moonlight” . Best thing if you’re interested is call Henry he’s in Tucson

I m wanting to get one myself
    Don’t Tread On Me

Default Re: Invisible IR light

I think I understand what you are trying to achieve. And not that you asked but, when using either film or digital media, no matter what the IR source, you would have to keep your lighting technique as subjective as possible. This would help keep the light from being seen by the camera.
    Enjoy the light show - LedTed

You have a fairly narrow window to work with. If the wavelength is 850nm. you'll see a dim red glow. You have to get closer to 900nm to be invisible to the human eye, and any camera with an IR blocking filter will not work at that wavelength. Also the sensitivity of the camera's imaging chip drops off rapidly at ~900nm or longer wavelengths. IR remote controls often operate around 920nm and non-filtered cameras can see that, although at reduced sensitivity. Keep your source around 900-920nm if possible.
    Last edited by PhotonWrangler; 09-02-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Enlightened
    Born L.A. - NYC 2nd home - Rustbelt home base

I'm using 850nm in a digital camera. I have been using special IR flash that is pretty invisible except on highest setting and in totally black room. If viewed like that, you can barely see a very low orange glow at highest power. For half power flash, under normal night conditions, it is invisible. I need something like that for video work, just steady IR light output.

I have heard that exposed film acts as an IR filter. I'm sure you can probably find an IR filter somewhere to place in front of your light source.