Invisible IR light

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS has a IR light he's doing and you can get a custom build. The lowest setting is like .02 lumens (if I m correct) or "moonlight" . Best thing if you're interested is call Henry he's in Tucson

I m wanting to get one myself

LedTed

Enlightened
I think I understand what you are trying to achieve. And not that you asked but, when using either film or digital media, no matter what the IR source, you would have to keep your lighting technique as subjective as possible. This would help keep the light from being seen by the camera.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
You have a fairly narrow window to work with. If the wavelength is 850nm. you'll see a dim red glow. You have to get closer to 900nm to be invisible to the human eye, and any camera with an IR blocking filter will not work at that wavelength. Also the sensitivity of the camera's imaging chip drops off rapidly at ~900nm or longer wavelengths. IR remote controls often operate around 920nm and non-filtered cameras can see that, although at reduced sensitivity. Keep your source around 900-920nm if possible.

Last edited:

slackercruster

Newly Enlightened
Born L.A. - NYC 2nd home - Rustbelt home base
I'm using 850nm in a digital camera. I have been using special IR flash that is pretty invisible except on highest setting and in totally black room. If viewed like that, you can barely see a very low orange glow at highest power. For half power flash, under normal night conditions, it is invisible. I need something like that for video work, just steady IR light output.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard that exposed film acts as an IR filter. I'm sure you can probably find an IR filter somewhere to place in front of your light source.