Can the PROTAC HL 5-X FLASHLIGHT handle the likes of ORBTRONIC 3400 mAh Batteries ?

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm interested in buying a new powerful Flashlight. I seriously leaning towards the PROTAC HL 5-X Flashlight. I've read (and watched) several reviews/videos on this light and I believe it is pretty much everything I'm looking for in a (reasonable size) Hand held POWERFUL flashlight. That being said, I find little information regarding the use of 18650 batteries. I guess my first question is, can the 5-X use ANY 18650 batteries or does this light REQUIRE using Streamlight (branded) UBS rechargeable batteries ? Also, if one can use other than (in my case, I use "Protected" batteries) would I be able to use my ORBTRONIC 3400 mAh batteries without damaging the 5-X ? Thank you in advance for any help/thoughts/suggestions/recommendations you may offer.

SixCats!

[FONT=roboto_condensedbold]

[/FONT]

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My HL4 was 'pre-Streamlight' usb chargeable batteries and was stated to be able to handle a pair of button top 18650's. I used a pair of 1amp protected type but stayed with primaries in mine.
I would suppose the same would be true for the 5. Now of course Streamlight will reccomend their batteries. And thus their USB able would be a bit longer due to the USB port.
But both the 4 and the 5 say they'll work off four CR123's so that stands to reason if two 18650's without the added length of the USB port worked in the 4 they should also work in the 5.

Last edited:

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi @bykfixer,

Thank you for responding to my questions. I too would think using any 18650 should pose no problems however, I just wanted to be sure so, I figured I'd ask.
Thanks again.

SixCats!

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also...if the light operates on 4 123A cells which altogether create 12 volts in series, then two 18650s should be no problem at all since they would only create up to 9 volts max in series.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
These BTW are awesome lights. My HL4 is my WTF was that noise in the backyard light.lights up a huge area and plenty of throw. It's like my Malkoff M91 but much brighter and with more throw. Plus I got it for a steal so if it see's hard use I don't feel bad

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi thermal guy,

I very much appreciate your thoughts on the HL-5-X. I have more Flashlight (than the NORMAL/AVERAGE) guy, however, missing from my humble collection is a truly powerful light.
I think this Streamlight "ticks" all the boxes for what I need for a hand held powerful flashlight that isn't TOO crazy large/heavy. I have several "single" cell Klarus Tactical lights using
18650's so, I figured I stick with this cell. I have a good size (rural) property here in Maine and I (like you) figure this type of light is perfect for those "WTF" noise moments when I hear
some weird noise (especially) coming from from my Woods. I figure the HL-5-X will "light em up!" (whatever it is out there).

SixCats!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The HL4 sure lights up a given area at 2200 so the HL5 should reach out a bit farther.

The HL4 easily lights up the area about as far and wide as a football field with enough light to ID friend, foe or neighbors black cat. Cat at the goal post at the opposite end saying "holy crap turn off that light.

But…… the magic of the HL4 (and probably 5 too) is there's virtually no self blind aspect due to the frosted optic.
It's crazy! :thinking:

You can shine it wide open on a light colored wall three feet away in darkness and you'll barely squint.

Once I shined mine on my shiney white pickup from 3 feet away just to see if it would cause self blinding. Now I did not want to stare at it for 8 minutes but it proved my theory that using it in tightly vegetated woods or inside my home would not lead to me thinking it is too bright for the situatation like some mega bright flashlights.

Last edited:

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi bykfixer,

Again, excellent information! Thank you. I hope to make a purchase of the HL5 before too long. I'll keep you posted.

SixCats!

jeff51

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm interested in buying a new powerful Flashlight. I seriously leaning towards the PROTAC HL 5-X Flashlight. I've read (and watched) several reviews/videos on this light and I believe it is pretty much everything I'm looking for in a (reasonable size) Hand held POWERFUL flashlight. That being said, I find little information regarding the use of 18650 batteries. I guess my first question is, can the 5-X use ANY 18650 batteries or does this light REQUIRE using Streamlight (branded) UBS rechargeable batteries ? Also, if one can use other than (in my case, I use "Protected" batteries) would I be able to use my ORBTRONIC 3400 mAh batteries without damaging the 5-X ? Thank you in advance for any help/thoughts/suggestions/recommendations you may offer.

SixCats!

[FONT=roboto_condensedbold]

[/FONT]
The HL5X tube is very long. The Streamlight 18650s have on the battery charging.
Flat top or solder blobs are too short. Even some protected cells may need a little help.
I used magnet spacers to be able to use button tops.
I did a review here.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?461526-Review-Streamlight-ProTac-HL-5-X

All the best,
Jeff

polizeifritz

Newly Enlightened
Your Orbtronics will likely work. As said above, this light requires button top batteries. I ran unprotected Samsung 30Q button tops in mine. IMO, nearly the perfect flashlight, I did however send mine back because of two issues. Mine had a flickering issue if it was bumped, I suspected this to be due to it not having a spring on the positive contact end within the light. Secondly Ten Tap. It is a good interface, however the three programmable options are lacking, it needs 4. Default is High-Strobe-Low, Mode 2 is High only, and Mode 3 is Low-Medium-High.

Keep in mind that these lights are designed around Law Enforcement and Military use, therefore mode 1 is quite stupid IMO. Ideally it would be High-Med-Low or they could have just made that the fourth mode. This, being for tactical reasons, strobe is basically useless, and I can say, it all my years in law enforcement, I have NEVER seen anyone use strobe in any situation, tactical or otherwise. They want a light that always starts in high, then has a low mode or a medium and a low mode without a complicated UI to get to those modes, or a High only light (Which this Streamlight can do).

BUT, other than the above, the light was great. Very good run time, solidly built, excellent tint, and a great balance between spill and throw. I could still see myself buying one of these again, but it would probably live in high mode only.