Upgrade A pillar lights on my Jeep?

LiteWait

Newly Enlightened
At the dawn of time (15 years ago or so), I had some Warn Dual-mode H4 housing lights (SDB-160?) mounted on the A pillars of my 1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler. They're still chugging along, and I like that they're switchable from flood to spot. I was never that impressed with the spot throw, but might have been asking too much.

I've now upgraded my headlights to Truck-Lite 27270C's and find myself wondering if there are new generation spots/floods I should consider over the Warns. They seem a bit faint now.

Goals:
  • Good throw for off-road.
  • Option for flood would be great.
  • I like that LEDs last a long time, take far less juice, and need no warm-up.
  • I like that halogen and HIDs, once warm, have good color, and can throw like Conan hurling a javelin at an evil sorcerer.

Possibilities:
  • Maybe pairing smaller LEDS ahead and off to the sides so I could have both worlds?

This is my go-to site for people who care about this, and tend to know their stuff. If any of you fine folks have an opinion to share, I'd be much obliged!

Thank you kindly. :)

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
For spot throw distance, I really like Myotek's PAR46 (5-3/4" diameter) 32w 9-emitter LED spot light, sold by Unity as their Z-8547 (lamp only, for use in any PAR46 mount/housing) or AGR-8547 in a marine-spec chrome housing. It gives a tight, well-focused spot with long-term intensity of 215,000 candela (almost 3x the intensity limit on a roadgoing vehicle's high beam headlamps in the US).

Travler

Newly Enlightened
Virgil thanks for your wisdom. I have a NIB from the late 70s and early 80s era A pillar mount spot light. It was a dealer option for my 1979 Bronco. I have been scared to mount it during my restoration due risk of breaking the lamp. I was not aware they even made PAR46 LED lamps. That lamp should fit fine in my housing.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Just want to mention:

Between my volunteer fire years and my own rigs, including a P71 Crown Vic with two spots, I have a little experience with Unity spotlights. They are pretty good, IF YOU USE THEM OFTEN. Occasionally used Unity lights will always go bad, sometimes binding up and not wanting to move, sometimes getting "floppy" and not holding position, and frequently failing electrically.

I ran Unity spots at the top of both A pillars on a 1966 International 1-ton 4x4 that was my "work in the woods" rig. Electrical failure came early and was expected. At one point I had a 100 watt #4537 in the right and a 250 watt #4522 in the left. I ran heavy "hinge" wire through the cab and into the buckets, using heavy duty toggles mounted on the pillars. Today's low drain LED bulbs are great. I suggest using any spotlight often and with plenty of movement, and taking all possible steps to avoid oxidation and corrosion.

Though I still like spotlights, I have personally pretty much changed to handheld lights with magnetic bases.