EDC Died. Anything new and exciting thats Comparable?

scott011422

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys

The switch on my NiteCore MH23 died this morning. Before I order another light, Anything new and exciting out lately I should be looking at? Needs to be small, 18650 and 1000+ lumens.

Thanks!

scott011422

Newly Enlightened
I would prefer a side switch,

My last 3 lights have all been throwers, however, Only because the lights with what I'm looking for in size and power all happen to be mini searchlights. I would probably like something in the middle. However, Adjustable lenses would be out.

I often shine it a good 200+ ft away.

Being able to lockout the light would also be a must.

desert rover

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to give my 2 lumens. You might try the Olight s30r baton III It has a good clicky and the clip fits on a base ball cap really well.

LRJ88

Enlightened
I second the recommendation for the Olight S30R III, they're solid lights and have a lockout function. They do have a magnet in the tailcap though if that's something that you want to take into consideration.

boo5ted

Enlightened
The lumintop FW3 lights looks to fit the bill besides the side switch, it has a tail switch. They are available in a few different aluminum colors, copper and Titanium.

scott011422

Newly Enlightened
I like the size the Olight S30R III, but I really would hate to step down in brightness. There are times my MH25 isn't bright enough. I did see they had a light called the Seeker 2 Pro. While it is a touch bigger than the MH25, Its a good deal brighter. Although I have reservations about the 3 led TIR setup. Reminds me of the Coast Led days.

I love that FW3. But why wouldn't they make it 2.5mm longer to accept a standard protected cell!! Total deal killer. If it wasn't for that I prolly would have bought one. I would take a chance with the TIR setup. Really is a nice sized light.

majid

Newly Enlightened
I would prefer a side switch,

My last 3 lights have all been throwers, however, Only because the lights with what I'm looking for in size and power all happen to be mini searchlights. I would probably like something in the middle. However, Adjustable lenses would be out.

I often shine it a good 200+ ft away.

Being able to lockout the light would also be a must.

Try the BLF GT Mini, it's not small because of the reflector, but it has a side-switch, ramping UI, and an amazing throw (750m/2500ft) for something so small.

For more floody EDC use, an Olight S1RII or a Zebralight SC64c LE or SC600FIV c or d.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Polished Titanium FW3 w Nichia LEDs, or another Nitecore...
no brainer

scott011422 said:
I love that FW3. ... 2.5mm longer to accept a standard protected cell!!

maybe make an exception in this case
you can even have High CRI now :)

to get the BIG lumens, the light needs the battery to be unprotected, or it will trip the protection circuit.

in someone elses words
hIKARInoob said:
The Emisar D4 for example is a very powerful light; it produces in the order of 4000 lumens from a single 18650 cell. This means you need a high drain cell. This means you're in the realm of unprotected cells

plus Anduril UI in both the D4 and FW3, has LVP:
"This driver also has low-voltage protection. At 3.0V it'll drop to the lowest level, and at 2.8V it'll shut itself off as far as possible. It still has a very small amount of parasitic drain though, so don't leave it in post-LVP mode for months or years at a time. It would be a good idea to change the battery within a few days, or unscrew the tube to cut power."

majid

Newly Enlightened
Polished Titanium FW3 w Nichia LEDs, or another Nitecore...
no brainer

Titanium is a poor heat conductor and the Ti FW3A will throttle thermally much faster than an aluminum, copper or titanium+copper one.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titanium is a poor heat conductor
I agree
I used to point that out to people before I bought a Ti Light
in real world use, Ti feels great, and imo is nicer looking than black ano

also agree copper is the best heat conductor
but in real world use I found it too heavy, for the size light we are discussing

I absolutely do not like mixed media
a copper section on a Ti light leads to shocking hot spots when my hand moves from the ti portion to the copper portion

so, imo, Ti all the way

there must be a reason why Titanium lights cost extra, and are made by some of the most respectected vendors like McGizmo and several others

Dont let theoretical ideas interfere with enjoying a beautiful material.. Ti is special, and the FW3 Ti is a steal of a price.. Try buying an OR Ti for the price of an FW3.. then you may begin to realize why I suggested it

but..
whatever rocks your boat

I do have reasons for suggesting Ti, even though Im aware of the conductivity differences

also bear in mind that the FW3 has built in thermal regulation, regardless of material, no light of this size can remain above 600 lumens for long.. Lights this size only maintain thousands of lumens for a few seconds.. and then they step down to sub 1000 lumen levels.. thats normal

Last edited:

scott011422

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I am unfamiliar with the brands and retail store for GOOD unprotected cells. If I wanted to take a chance on the TI Fw3, what would be a good cell to buy and where to purchase.

Also, where would be a good place to buy the TI FW3? I've seen a few retailers that sell it in a search, but haven't heard of any of them. Where would you guys suggest?

scott011422

Newly Enlightened
My apologies. Is that a new rule? I don't remember that being an issue before. But it's been a good year or two since I've been by.

Thanks

archimedes

Flashaholic
My apologies. Is that a new rule? I don't remember that being an issue before. But it's been a good year or two since I've been by.

Thanks
It is fine to post the name of the item, and links are only prohibited in the "Recommend me a light" subforum.

No spamming, no shilling, no advertising, however.

Unless you work for a dealer, manufacturer, retailer, etc, it is usually not a big deal.

Thanks.

boo5ted

Enlightened
Also, where would be a good place to buy the TI FW3? I've seen a few retailers that sell it in a search, but haven't heard of any of them. Where would you guys suggest?

I would help but apparently they don't like that around here..........