Klarus        

Thread: EDC Died. Anything new and exciting thats Comparable?

Default EDC Died. Anything new and exciting thats Comparable?

Hey guys

The switch on my NiteCore MH23 died this morning. Before I order another light, Anything new and exciting out lately I should be looking at? Needs to be small, 18650 and 1000+ lumens.

Thanks!

Default Re: EDC Died. Anything new and exciting thats Comparable?

What do you do and work with? Do you need a side switch or is any form of switch fine? Thrower or flood?

Also donít forget lumens is only a number now days and there are many options
    Donít Tread On Me

I would prefer a side switch,

My last 3 lights have all been throwers, however, Only because the lights with what I'm looking for in size and power all happen to be mini searchlights. I would probably like something in the middle. However, Adjustable lenses would be out.

I often shine it a good 200+ ft away.

Being able to lockout the light would also be a must.

Just wanted to give my 2 lumens. You might try the Olight s30r baton III It has a good clicky and the clip fits on a base ball cap really well.

I second the recommendation for the Olight S30R III, they're solid lights and have a lockout function. They do have a magnet in the tailcap though if that's something that you want to take into consideration.

The lumintop FW3 lights looks to fit the bill besides the side switch, it has a tail switch. They are available in a few different aluminum colors, copper and Titanium.
    "America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."- Tennessee Williams

I like the size the Olight S30R III, but I really would hate to step down in brightness. There are times my MH25 isn't bright enough. I did see they had a light called the Seeker 2 Pro. While it is a touch bigger than the MH25, Its a good deal brighter. Although I have reservations about the 3 led TIR setup. Reminds me of the Coast Led days.

I love that FW3. But why wouldn't they make it 2.5mm longer to accept a standard protected cell!! Total deal killer. If it wasn't for that I prolly would have bought one. I would take a chance with the TIR setup. Really is a nice sized light.

For not a lot of cash, the Emisar lights are tough to beatóD4V2 is what you seek and Ďdisco down.í

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Quote Originally Posted by scott011422 View Post
    I would prefer a side switch,

My last 3 lights have all been throwers, however, Only because the lights with what I'm looking for in size and power all happen to be mini searchlights. I would probably like something in the middle. However, Adjustable lenses would be out.

I often shine it a good 200+ ft away.

Being able to lockout the light would also be a must.
    Try the BLF GT Mini, it's not small because of the reflector, but it has a side-switch, ramping UI, and an amazing throw (750m/2500ft) for something so small.

For more floody EDC use, an Olight S1RII or a Zebralight SC64c LE or SC600FIV c or d.

Polished Titanium FW3 w Nichia LEDs, or another Nitecore...
    no brainer

Quote Originally Posted by scott011422
    I love that FW3. ... 2.5mm longer to accept a standard protected cell!!
    maybe make an exception in this case
    you can even have High CRI now :-)

to get the BIG lumens, the light needs the battery to be unprotected, or it will trip the protection circuit.

in someone elses words
    Quote Originally Posted by hIKARInoob
    The Emisar D4 for example is a very powerful light; it produces in the order of 4000 lumens from a single 18650 cell. This means you need a high drain cell. This means youíre in the realm of unprotected cells
    plus Anduril UI in both the D4 and FW3, has LVP:
    "This driver also has low-voltage protection. At 3.0V itíll drop to the lowest level, and at 2.8V itíll shut itself off as far as possible. It still has a very small amount of parasitic drain though, so donít leave it in post-LVP mode for months or years at a time. It would be a good idea to change the battery within a few days, or unscrew the tube to cut power."

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    Polished Titanium FW3 w Nichia LEDs, or another Nitecore...
    no brainer
    Titanium is a poor heat conductor and the Ti FW3A will throttle thermally much faster than an aluminum, copper or titanium+copper one.

Quote Originally Posted by majid View Post
    Titanium is a poor heat conductor
    I agree
    I used to point that out to people before I bought a Ti Light
    in real world use, Ti feels great, and imo is nicer looking than black ano

also agree copper is the best heat conductor
    but in real world use I found it too heavy, for the size light we are discussing

I absolutely do not like mixed media
    a copper section on a Ti light leads to shocking hot spots when my hand moves from the ti portion to the copper portion

so, imo, Ti all the way

there must be a reason why Titanium lights cost extra, and are made by some of the most respectected vendors like McGizmo and several others

Dont let theoretical ideas interfere with enjoying a beautiful material.. Ti is special, and the FW3 Ti is a steal of a price.. Try buying an OR Ti for the price of an FW3.. then you may begin to realize why I suggested it

but..
    whatever rocks your boat

I do have reasons for suggesting Ti, even though Im aware of the conductivity differences

also bear in mind that the FW3 has built in thermal regulation, regardless of material, no light of this size can remain above 600 lumens for long.. Lights this size only maintain thousands of lumens for a few seconds.. and then they step down to sub 1000 lumen levels.. thats normal
    Last edited by jon_slider; 09-06-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Ok, I am unfamiliar with the brands and retail store for GOOD unprotected cells. If I wanted to take a chance on the TI Fw3, what would be a good cell to buy and where to purchase.

Also, where would be a good place to buy the TI FW3? Iíve seen a few retailers that sell it in a search, but havenít heard of any of them. Where would you guys suggest?

where to purchase.
    sent you a PM
    Last edited by jon_slider; 09-07-2019 at 02:34 PM.

My apologies. Is that a new rule? I donít remember that being an issue before. But itís been a good year or two since Iíve been by.

Thanks

My apologies. Is that a new rule? I donít remember that being an issue before. But itís been a good year or two since Iíve been by.

Thanks
    It is fine to post the name of the item, and links are only prohibited in the "Recommend me a light" subforum.

No spamming, no shilling, no advertising, however.

Unless you work for a dealer, manufacturer, retailer, etc, it is usually not a big deal.

Thanks.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Iím, no stores then. What do people recommend for a good unprotected 18650?

Iím, no stores then. What do people recommend for a good unprotected 18650?
    Sony/Murata VTC-5A/VTC-6, Samsung 25S, LG HEB2 and the Samsung 30Q.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Also, where would be a good place to buy the TI FW3? Iíve seen a few retailers that sell it in a search, but havenít heard of any of them. Where would you guys suggest?

I would help but apparently they don't like that around here..........
    "America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."- Tennessee Williams

See three posts before yours. Also, the PM system always works if youíre worried about posting links.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    See three posts before yours.
    Which is why I didn't post a link lol.

I took a chance and ordered the FW3TP with a few Samsung 30qís. I think overall it might be dimmer than my MH25, but itís smaller with no rubber switches and everyone seems to love it. Even at 15 seconds on turbo will be long enough I think to do what I need it for. Itís the high Iíll be missing. Looks like the FW3 is thermally stable at about 300 to 400 lumins, where itís 750 or so on the MH25. I can always sell it if I donít like it. Should have an opinion by Monday.

I got the FW3T today. Beautiful light. Wonderful click to the switch and nice and small. Love the Ui. Very user friendly!. Unfortunately I knew I was taking a chance with the TIR optic, And as expected, it let me down. Up close it has a very nice spill, with great color and brightness. At any distance though it drops off pretty dramatically. For my environment and uses it was pretty useless at anything over 15 feet unless in turbo. And even then was lacking quite abit. Im going to either return the light or put it up for sale. I'll probably end up with another Mh25. Worked well for me. I appreciate everyone help and imput.

Did yours come with the frosted optic? Mine did and it was just alright, I switch to the clear 10507 Carclo optic and throw is much better.

I got the FW3T today. Beautiful light.
    For my environment and uses it was pretty useless at anything over 15 feet unless in turbo.
    glad you got to form your own opinion
    good feedback on the pros and cons of a triple vs a conventional reflector w single LED

before you give up on the FW3T, check if you are using a narrow clear optic.. thats your best bet at generating some throw, but yes, a triple will not have the throw of a single.. if you just need a small hotspot to throw distance.

I go back and forth
    on the one hand, my single LED in a reflector is much more versatile outdoors
    on the other hand, my triple behind a narrow clear is great indoors and arms length

Quote Originally Posted by boo5ted View Post
    Did yours come with the frosted optic? Mine did and it was just alright, I switch to the clear 10507 Carclo optic and throw is much better.
    I agree!
    I hated the medium frost btw. thats why Im suggesting scott011422 verify he has the throwiest optic, 10507, before giving up on the triple altogether

both is better :-)
    I like a triple at close range and a reflector at longer range

enjoy your choices
    I bet you cant buy just one.. lol
    Last edited by jon_slider; 09-12-2019 at 04:36 PM.

Jon_Slider: After reading your post I realized I may have a 10507 from an old Christmas project, and i did!. I will admit that inside, the clear lens made a pretty big difference. Outside, it was noticeable, but still very lacking unless it was in turbo. I took it home over the weekend and even in turbo, the tops of grain augers and bins were not adequately lit.

While this light would make a great EDC for up close, or indoors, I need that distance just as much and don't want to carry two lights. So It will still go back. While not a deciding factor, I also noticed that brightness in turbo was highly dependent on battery charge level. Fully charged at 4.2v was drastically brighter than at 3.8v.

all good points, and I agree with your comments about when triple is useful, and when it is not
    also agree that turbo is a fleeting maximum that is totally voltage dependent

I hope you enjoy your next light, and that it has the reach you need

sending you a PM
    Last edited by jon_slider; 09-16-2019 at 10:12 PM.