Arc4+ VS firefly w/two stage switch

cy

Flashaholic
Now that firefly has a slick two stage switch... it's now fair to compare to Arc4+.

firefly w/MM+ R2H was always too bright to be useful for closeups. Now with a dim option, usability is close to 4+. With 16 ohms dim mode is aprox. Arc AA.

I prefer my dim mode to be two levels brighter than Arc AA, Arc4+ comes out on top for customization. I'm chasing down a 8 ohm SMT resister for the board. This should even that out.

The brightness is almost the same for both lights. 4+'s throw is better w/relector. firefly's spill is better w/NX05.

firefly comes on top for EDC form factor. Arc4+ is close behind. I find the clip is essential to EDC 4+ as it's too big to ride deep in my pocket.

It's getting tougher all the time to decide which is the primary EDC.

What's your opinions? don't have one... better get the two stage switch from dat2zip. With a simple mod, should work fine for all ArcLS twistys too.

Thanks,
CY

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Hm... I had a similar problem too... Mine is deciding between Arc LSH-P (best EDC 2003) or Arc 4+ Second. My 4+ Second is one of those which can't make it to full brightness so it's slightly brigher than my Arc LSH-P. My LSH-P have a dual brightness mod module on it. So they both ends up to be very similar.

However, I find that I ends up carrying the 4+ Second more. I simply ask that to my self "If can EDC only 1 light, which one will it be?" or "If I'm caught in a city wide blackout, which one do I wish to have?". The answer was 4+ Second so that's the one I ended up carrying the most.

Greymage

Enlightened
It's no contest - the firefly is so much smaller.

I just got my Arc4 second back and was comparing it to the firefly with 2-stage. The Arc4 is just too darn big to EDC on a keychain.

Also, the Arc4 has a tighter beam - good for throw, but that's not something I need - I prefer the extra spill on the firefly.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Since the FireFly v2 has not been released yet, I think it's unfair to both the Arc4+ and the FF-2 to declare a winner yet. The only guarentee that I'm aware of at this point is that the FF is going to be smaller in size, that's it.

utomatoe

Enlightened
Some points to ponder.

The Arc4+ is waterproof to probably at least 50ft (borrowing LSH specs here). Firefly is waterproof, but not as much testing (yet...)

Firefly will be able to interchange a the optics and sandwich.

As for operation, some will probably hate the arc and some will love it. The firefly, should be loved by all, simple on/off or 2 stage. Unfortunately, a 2 stage switch might compromise the waterproof-ness of the firefly??

Arc has a kroll, but the light is probably a little awkward to use due to it's small size? Dunno...

Just some of my thoughts...

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I thought the Arc4 switch was proprietary (sp?) not a kroll. The 'stock' FireFly2 2S is a 3W so wouldn't that have a brighter high setting than the Arc4? The Arc4 may still be the one for me because I don't often need the brightness of my Arc LS. Still if the Arc5 can run on one battery (at diminished output) it maybe the best for me. because it could be ramped up to a full 5W when needed.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
output is hard to guess....

on high, the arc quite bright. whether a lux3 is actually brighter or not at these levels is the point of some speculation i believe.

the optical efficiency of the arc4 should be greater than that of the firefly though...

Miciobigio

Enlightened
The FF2 with the BB650 Lux3 an the TURNED-DOWN optics will come close to the brightness of the Arc4+ FIRST but the winner will be the Arc4+ FIRST (because the larger and deeper reflector is more efficent of a turned down optics) , anyway the FF2 is "only" 110$, and consider that the BB650Lux3 is a 60$ value; so for 50$ you get a FF2 semicomplete .... IMHO it's a steal !

The FF2 can be used on a neck-lanyard or on a keychain-ring, can do candlemode and is more pocketable but i hope that it will have better HAIII than the FF1.

The Arc4 is the most advanced flashlight you can buy, it's the "perfect EDC" , a "must have" for a flashaholic !
I use a 2level board with a 33ohm res. in my FF-MMLux3 and the dim level ( during the night ) is sometimes too bright ! the Arc4 level 16 is just perfect ... 2 levels are better than 1 , but 16 levels are better than 2.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Lux-III F/F with the 16ohm dimmer is the same brightness as my luxeon modded Arc-AAA.
Very comparable beam characteristics as well.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
Since the FireFly v2 has not been released yet, I think it's unfair to both the Arc4+ and the FF-2 to declare a winner yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one asked about the FF-2.
The two stage switch is available for all existing FireFlys right now. .

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
GJW said:
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
Since the FireFly v2 has not been released yet, I think it's unfair to both the Arc4+ and the FF-2 to declare a winner yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one asked about the FF-2.
The two stage switch is available for all existing FireFlys right now. .

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, you're right. My bad. I read the post too quickly I guess.