Paracord

archimedes

Flashaholic
I haven't seen a paracord thread for quite a while, and thought this might be a fun topic over here in the A&Q forums.

So, I just received a bunch of cord from Atwood Rope MFG ...

tXlaVY2.jpg

Roughly 50# ( ~10,000 ft) worth. They didn't include the SureFire 6P, that's just for scale :)

It is taking me a while to untangle it, as this is a box of knots (and factory seconds)

Made a couple of lanyards and a few zipper pulls, but still have some left over.

Let's see your projects, and photos are most welcome.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need one of these for untangling ropes, etc
ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1567645431.484052.jpg

P.S. why so much rope? You have that many lights you need lanyards for or was it on sale?

zekeman

Newly Enlightened
Atwood has "sale boxes" of all kinds of their rope products: looks like one of their mystery boxes that maybe the cat already has played in.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep missing it on their website

*nevermind. Dusted off the laptop and lookie there...

archimedes

Flashaholic
You need one of these for untangling ropes, etc ....

P.S. why so much rope? You have that many lights you need lanyards for or was it on sale?

Yep, those "string technologists" are real helpful.

Atwood has "sale boxes" of all kinds of their rope products: looks like one of their mystery boxes that maybe the cat already has played in.

Always wanted to try one of these "ARM Challenge Boxes" .... By the time they paid for the "free" shipping on this giant box, plus a free T-shirt, I figure the rope was pretty near a giveaway as well (lol)

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
Tried to buy two of the 5# clearance deals for $30, shipping was $20. Guess I'll hold off for a bit

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got some mystery boxes and paracord accessories from Atwood Rope Mfg. Got 10 lbs. of battle cord, 10 lbs of 550 lb paracord, 4lbs of uberglow 550 lb cord, and 2 lbs of parapocalypse cord. Got some buckles, shackles, fire steel toggles and strikers from paracordgalaxy.com. Going to make some nice paracord bracelets and other stuff for Christmas presents. Already have plans for glow bracelets for the kids and ultimate survival bracelets for adults (parapocalypse cord with rapid deploy centipede weave with uberglow cord over it in cobre weave with fishing hook, fishing weight, fire steel toggle, and striker hidden between the two weaves). The idea is to have what you need to build shelter, make fire, go fishing, snare animals, rotisserie meat, and mark trails at night (glow cord) all in one bracelet. Should be some fun projects.

nbp

Flashaholic
All ten thousand feet! Twenty lanyards later and you still have 9,800 ft left? Lol

archimedes

Flashaholic
I probably sorted 9,000' of the 10K .... Was gonna take another photo when done, haha !

I'd be surprised if I even used 200 feet yet, though. Made and gave away some gifts, but got busy with other projects :)

Found it relaxing work though :shrug:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been having fun making things with the paracord. I've made over 100 bracelets, some keychains, and some monkey fists (great cat toys). A lot of the bracelets are cobra weave and glow in the dark. Many are rapid deploy millipede weave. Some are king cobra weave. Some are made with parapocalypse cord with fishing kits and fire steel toggles. I made a couple rapid deploy keychains with parapocalypse cord and a 3/8 inch fire steel built in. Plan on making a new belt out of parapocalypse cord. Along with all the cord I bought recently, I also got their 50 lb. mystery box. In it I got 55 feet of 19mm dozer arborist rope, utility rope and cord of every size, some braided rope, some battlecord, paracord, tactical cord, and micro cord, and a tactical paracord dispenser. Made sister's dog a leash out of the 3/8 inch utility rope and sort of a zip line over a slackline with some battle cord (helps the kids stay on and balance). After making the rapid deploy keychains with the big fire steel built in, I'm considering trying to make a small instant tarp shelter in a bracelet out of a sheet of plastic or mylar (emergency blanket material) and some tactical cord with the millipede weave for rapid deployment. I'll have to see if it pans out and what size shelter I could make that wouldn't be too bulky or weird looking on the wrist. I'm still inventing new ways to use paracord. This stuff is fun.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been having fun making things with the paracord. I've made over 100 bracelets, some keychains, and some monkey fists (great cat toys). A lot of the bracelets are cobra weave and glow in the dark. Many are rapid deploy millipede weave. Some are king cobra weave. Some are made with parapocalypse cord with fishing kits and fire steel toggles. I made a couple rapid deploy keychains with parapocalypse cord and a 3/8 inch fire steel built in. Plan on making a new belt out of parapocalypse cord. Along with all the cord I bought recently, I also got their 50 lb. mystery box. In it I got 55 feet of 19mm dozer arborist rope, utility rope and cord of every size, some braided rope, some battlecord, paracord, tactical cord, and micro cord, and a tactical paracord dispenser. Made sister's dog a leash out of the 3/8 inch utility rope and sort of a zip line over a slackline with some battle cord (helps the kids stay on and balance). After making the rapid deploy keychains with the big fire steel built in, I'm considering trying to make a small instant tarp shelter in a bracelet out of a sheet of plastic or mylar (emergency blanket material) and some tactical cord with the millipede weave for rapid deployment. I'll have to see if it pans out and what size shelter I could make that wouldn't be too bulky or weird looking on the wrist. I'm still inventing new ways to use paracord. This stuff is fun.

Well the tarp shelter bracelet didn't pan out. Even a 4 x 4 foot piece of mylar was too bulky and inflexible to make the concept work. I did manage to make a rapid deploy paracord belt out of 38 feet of parapocalypse cord and 38 feet of uber glow cord with a couple fishing hooks and a fire steel toggle. My plan of using a fire steel buckle didn't work because parapocalypse cord is fatter than fish and fire paracord. It was difficult to feed through the buckle and only 3 passes of cord would go through vs. 4 with the other cord. Rather than make a belt that had 25% less cord and was a pain to work with, I opted for making it a millipede weave with black and white (glow) cord with a shackle on each end and a small webbing daisy chain to connect it for some length adjustment.

nbp

Flashaholic
It's cool to see all the nifty stuff you guys have made! I love the look of paracord lanyards and grips and such on EDC items but haven't made anything in years. Somehow I would always get annoyed with things dangling off my gear. Maybe I need to try again.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ve been on the hunt for the perfect paracord for something I m doing... mil spec 550 or similar in a 1/8" diameter. I ve seen what I want on some of the new back packs by ghost gear, HK (Heckler and Koch), etc. but can't for the life of me find the stuff to buy.