Travel to Mexico with lights

kaseri

Enlightened
Leaving for a vacation to Mexico tomorrow morning. Anyone ever travel there with lights? Any issues that might arise? Has anyone had any problems traveling with lights to Mexico?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights, I don't think so. Think I only heard that the Mexican customs might have issues with Lithium batts. Don't carry spares, they'll most likely get confiscated, IIRC. Then again, I'm halfway around the world, so how much do I know... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

fivebyfive

Enlightened
I live in San Diego. I haven't heard of anyone getting stopped or arrested in Mexico over flashlight related issues. Bottom line, you have a flashlight. Not some kind of weapon or explosive. I would be more concerned over a swiss army knife or leatherman. Don't worry, have fun with your flashlights in Mexico.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have heard the same as Stanley..
i've heard many ppl have had their lithium batteries confiscated in Mexico.

i'm pretty sure there's one or two threads on it here somewhere.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dad's extra batteries got confiscated, they were about 20 recheargables, they have a stupid regulation that batteries are permited in carry on only in the gadgets they power.

I have flown with E2e, E1e, arc, photon and a scorpion with no problems.

danielo_d

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
AlexGT said:
My dad's extra batteries got confiscated, they were about 20 recheargables, they have a stupid regulation that batteries are permited in carry on only in the gadgets they power.

I have flown with E2e, E1e, arc, photon and a scorpion with no problems.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's an idea..
Bring along some cheapo flashlights as battery carriers. That way, you can use the spares in those for your 'real flashlights'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Whaddya think?!?!?

Danno

draftaman

Newly Enlightened
When I went last year, I didnt have a problem with batteries.
I took my E2E and a dozen surefire bats. Of course, I didnt get checked either.

jpeg

Enlightened
They asked me to remove my batteries from my two ARC flashlights... But I got to keep them...

stockae92

Enlightened
how weird??

i guess i can't bring spare 123s in that case ...

it's good to have the CMG Ultra that can run for a little longer than the G2Z ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
#1 Don't take anything to Mexico that you can't afford to lose.

#2 Never, ever take anything related to firearms -- a firearm and/or ammunition, even one 22 round will get you in jail. An empty magazine or fired shell will get you serious hassle.

jhereg

Enlightened
I would take at least one Surefire to Mexico. With the lack of other options a REALLY bright light could be useful if you meet the wrong people. (Of course in Mexico a lot of the time that means the police & they might get a little cranky if you shine the light in their eyes! )

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stockae92, I've been to Mexico twice and Belize once since November for fishing and hunting trips. I didn't have any problem at all with flashlights and lithium batteries.

I had a couple of Pelican Cases with a dozen or so spare batteries in each (including one with CR123As) and they passed through fine.

Coming back to the USA, the customs inspectors were much more thorough and nosy. But, I didn't have any problems.

I checked all my lights and gear except for a Super Baby Pin (Mr. Bulk's light) which I carried on my person.

However, I had to get a supervisor in Houston to approve my 75 year old Ronson cigarette lighter for carryon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif

So, the advice about not taking anything you can't afford to lose is good. However, I wouldn't leave my Surefire behind for fear it would be taken by an official.

IMO, carrying topnotch personal lighting is a must for travel anywhere in Latin America.

Britt