XML upgrade?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I have a couple lights I really like, though they have xml leds. One is a 5.11 xbt A6 which is perfect as my truck light but it has a super cold tint xml. The other is the jaxman m2 which is a slightly better tint but still a bit cool and poor cri.

Is there a good option for upgrade that would actually be worth the effort? Initial thoughts are something like the high cri xml2 that zebralight uses but where can those legs be purchased? I have been unable to find them. Alternatively maybe something like the xpl hd with 80+ cri and a lower cct- but not sure if that would be worth the effort or cost.

Btw I believe the jaxman is a straight forward star replacement but has anybody opened up the 5.11? Feels like a glued head so I'm hesitant until I decide on a definite mod.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where is a good source for these? Seems everybody is out of stock.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would not bother, especially it is a glued head. also your reflector may not be working correctly with other leds, i mean it will still work but the beam profile maybe affected, i had few lights that would work just fine with xml, but too ringy with smaller die leds, they may have different primary optic angle. also there is always a possibility of "can of worms" effect when you take apart something. now a days you can get entire light with new leds for much less than your light originally was, your light is very similar to what convoy c8 is, and that one is around 30 bucks,

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would not bother, especially it is a glued head. also your reflector may not be working correctly with other leds, i mean it will still work but the beam profile maybe affected, i had few lights that would work just fine with xml, but too ringy with smaller die leds, they may have different primary optic angle. also there is always a possibility of "can of worms" effect when you take apart something. now a days you can get entire light with new leds for much less than your light originally was, your light is very similar to what convoy c8 is, and that one is around 30 bucks,

I appreciate your perspective but I disagree about the similarity. The C8 is a 18650 light which is a drastic difference in form factor. Worse yet, one cannot even run 2xCR123 primaries in place of the 18650, though 1xCR123 does work with the 18350 tube at lower output levels.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh, my bad i must've looked at another 5.11 light, yours is big 6AA light, convoy is smaller.

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not in their site yet, only press release. Test phase. And some fanatics in German forum spome with Cree officials and they confirmed it's getting ready for release.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not in their site yet, only press release. Test phase. And some fanatics in German forum spome with Cree officials and they confirmed it's getting ready for release.
thanks , will wait, sounds interesting.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
XHP 50.2 6000K - 3 volt version for more power
http://kaidomain.com/Flashlight-DIY...3V-Cree-XHP50_2-K2-2A-White-6000K-LED-Emitter

or here warm 3000-4500K, I can't say about CRI, I have no sphere, but the shade is warm and pleasant
http://kaidomain.com/Flashlight-DIY-and-Tools/LED-Emitters-or-LED-Star-on-PCB/CREE-XM-L-Series-LEDs

that does look like a good option! The data sheets aren't clear about output on 3v vs 6v vs 12v models. How does the 3v compare to a xml2 and where can one find them in high cri?