Please help me find the perfect AAA

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a AAA flashlight with some very specific features. I've looked pretty hard, and I don't think it exists, but maybe somebody here will know of one:

1. AAA
2. Clicky switch on the side.
3. Direct access to lowest level. This could be either a LMH order with no memory or a light with long press for direct access to low.
4. A single click to turn it off - long press for off will not do.

The only AAA with side clicky that I found is the Ultratac K18, and it doesn't have either #3 or #4.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
The closest I can think of is a Zebralight 53 but it's a AA light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with a Zebralight 53. It's a AA light but can run AAA batteries as well. It's also as short or even shorter than some AAA lights.

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
Good points all.

Yes, I meant one AAA only. This light is meant to be an EDC light when I wear a suit and tie.

The Zebralight suggestion is a good one - I have a SC53 and love it, but it is just too big around for this use.

Thanks for the ideas.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Why is criterion #2 important for you ?

The reason I ask, is because that is what limits your choices enormously here, since single-AAA flashlights are usually very skinny (leaving little room for a switch on the side)

In such a tiny light, it is more space-efficient to either do without a switch entirely (twisty) or to place it at the tail (or head) end.

It sounds like you do want this to be as small and sleek as possible otherwise, so I am just wondering if you might be flexible on that point.

There are a couple of 1xAAA "right-angle" torches with the switch on top, if you simply don't like the tailswitch location.

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
It is just personal preference. I suppose I could live with a tail switch, but I do not like twisties.

archimedes

Flashaholic
It is just personal preference. I suppose I could live with a tail switch, but I do not like twisties.

I carried a titanium UniVex AAA for a few years, which worked nicely ...

zp8u8Ty.jpg

(please ignore the wrench, this happened to be the only photo I have handy at the moment, lol)

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a lumintop Ti. It's a rear E switch. But can be had in LMH.
Small classy ant titanium.

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
The only Lumintop AAA flashlights that I have found are MLH. If there were a LMH version, I think that would solve my problem.

pc_light

Enlightened
I am looking for a AAA flashlight with some very specific features. I've looked pretty hard, and I don't think it exists, but maybe somebody here will know of one:

1. AAA
2. Clicky switch on the side.
3. Direct access to lowest level. This could be either a LMH order with no memory or a light with long press for direct access to low.
4. A single click to turn it off - long press for off will not do.

The only AAA with side clicky that I found is the Ultratac K18, and it doesn't have either #3 or #4.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
I'm following your thread in the event someone can recommend something that meets all the conditions.

FWIW, the Lumintop Ant (Brass or SS!) is another side-clicky AAA. It meets conditions 1,2&3 but not #4. It needs to cycle through High to turn off using button (L -> M -> H -> Off). Some users resort to a gentle 1/8 twist to both turn Off and lock-out from Low.

The K18 is a favorite with me. I also like the Olight i3T EOS, it's a 2-level tail clicky but the simplicity works for me and goes nicely in a shirt or jacket pocket.

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
I love the form factor of the K18, and I love the fact that it will use virtually any AAA sized battery, but I hate the requirement to long-press for off. That combined with memory so that it turns on in the last mode, kills it for me. If it had LMH with no memory, I'd go for it.

Nichia!

Banned
On this planet there is NO AAA flashlight that has all the 4 points above! And I know what I am talking about!

I have almost every aaa flashlight you think of (except few I don't like)

The the Ultratac K18 is one of the best keychain lights out there.

The build quality is better than any other aaa flashlight on the market right now in my opinion..

I hate 2 things about it

1. Long Press to operate the light
This is just stupid thing to do I really hate it

2. Can't Tail Stand (I have the older version 2017 I think)

You can't have everything you want.

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
I must reluctantly agree with you. I spent a log of time searching for one only to come up empty. Then I posed the question, hoping that I had missed something.

I also agree about the K18. I really do like that flashlight, but I HATE the long press for on or off. I also dislike the fact that it has mode memory. It is still my emergency flashlight, that I throw in my suitcase when I travel, just in case I forget/lose my regular EDC light.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, the current Lumintop-like AAA on MassDrop is, according to some reviewers, indicated as being L-M-H.

yes, the Drop Tools are Made by Lumintop

the copper and the aluminium models list the mode sequence as LMH (and I bought a copper and I confirm it IS LMH)
brass does not say

the high CRI models use N219c 4000k, thats what I bought. Its greener and brighter than the earlier N219b

I like that the eSwitch allows tailstanding, and that it is silent

the middle light is the LMH 219c Drop Copper Tool
39768204285_eda088b54b_b.jpg

Last edited:

dk21291

Newly Enlightened
I carried a titanium UniVex AAA for a few years, which worked nicely ...

zp8u8Ty.jpg

(please ignore the wrench, this happened to be the only photo I have handy at the moment, lol)

Too bad these are long gone, been looking for one for quite a while.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Too bad these are long gone, been looking for one for quite a while.

Yes, mine pictured above is actually a "factory second" and the Ti is patchily ( heat? ) discolored

Tailswitch, sleek, three useful levels, and excellent tint ... a great keyring light.

Last edited: