Clones Galore or Am I Delusional ?

Aten_Imago

Banned
This is a 'feeler' post. I just received a Vortex 1W Luxeon 2, CR123 light from CountyComm http://countycomm.com/vortex.htm Now I'm seeing dozens of lights that seem to be clones of what? The Pelican M6 LED ? Are all these lights made in the same factory in Taiwan? Prices are comparable but has anyone tested them against each other to see if they perform comparably? The only obvious variations seem to be the type of clickie switch and the 'styling' of the 'bodywork' . I'm a newbie so any help in this matter would be appreciated.I'd hate to think I'm buying multiple versions of the same light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened
You are delusional. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No, really I haven't ever had either the PM6 or that light you have so I really can't say. But they do look quite a bit different to me. If anything that light at countycomm looks like a streamlight TL2 led i think.

Aten_Imago

Banned
bwcaw
"If anything that light at countycomm looks like a streamlight TL2".
There you are, another clone?! Notice I said they all look different, but all use 2 CR123's, all are 1WLuxeons, All are made in Taiwan, Several use some kind of tail clickie-switch, some use a head-mounted clickie and as far as I can tell, few have been reviewed against each other! Now comes the Longbow Mini, which again, is made in Asia (though exact contry of manufacture is still a mystery). So, again...I ask the well known reviewers such as Craig at LED Museum, and the FlashlightReview and MrBulk to please help me sort this issue out.I mean it would be great to know how comparables actually compare....right?

Bill.H

Enlightened
I wouldn't call them clones, look at 10-40 years ago when most flashlights were 2D with a PR bulb and a slide switch. It's just the newer style of a "common" flashlight.

And what isn't made in some unknown asian country today? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
aten_imago:

the pelican M6 is claimed to be made in the USA by pelican, and the longbow lights are made in singapore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif they may work on the same batteries and have similar performance, but those factors alone aren't enough to classify them as clones, IMHO. the manufacturers/designers are simply working around the constraints of the available technology at the moment, such as the LED and battery types available.

unless the parts of all the lights were 100% interchangeable (e.g. like on surefires), i wouldn't say they're clones.

think about this way: calling them clones wouldn't be all too different from how maglite has been claiming infringements on its patents. is the arc AAA a clone of the solitaire simply because its form is similar and they use the same battery? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

***disclaimer*** maglite reference was used for dramatic effect and because it was a pertinent comparison; no anti-maglite flamefest please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aten_Imago:

Nice find - thanks for the post!
I cannot believe that no one has announced that one before.

Back on topic, I would have to agree with chamenos: "the manufacturers/designers are simply working around the constraints of the available technology at the moment, such as the LED and battery types available"

Regarding your statement: "...I ask the well known reviewers such as Craig at LED Museum, and the FlashlightReview and MrBulk to please help me sort this issue out..." I would highly recomment that you PM or email these folks directly - maybe loan them your sample to review...

More to the point, how do YOU like what you got? Feel free to start a seperate thread, and do a "mini-review" or "first impressions" post. Heck, even I have gotten into the act a time or two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

S1704 First Impressions

(If folks found MY presentation usefull, they will surely appreciate YOUR comments.)

Aten_Imago

Banned
Re:Aten Imago do a Flashlight Comparison Review?

Stainless
RE"do a "mini-review" or "first impressions" post"
Thanks for the compliment!
That's my bread and butter work and the core service of Imago Metrics LLC. I've not done a flashlight review because flashlights are my hobby and I prefer to let the veterans of this hobby/business to continue thier good work in a manner that I've noticed is quite satisfactory. Anytime this forum or individual contributors would like my input on process or methodology I'll gladly provide it in a casual manner. But hey, I just asked a simple question and I believe it was misunderstood. I didn't mean to imply a cosmetic 'clone' but rather a functional similar with similar specs- a functional clone.Look, every week we're seeing announcements of a new light by a new company offering a similar light in the :2 cell, 1W Luxeon market space. As a newbie, I'd like to visit Flashlight Reviews, Mr Bulk's site or LED Museum and read a comparison of samples that they obtain from manufacturers. If I worked for (or published) Flashlight Magazine (would that be called Flasher for short?) Then yes, I could make it a career, but I'm already up to my ears trying to fix the Web, fix how Governments operate,Fix our Educational System,Figure out how to track the billions of products and the millions of humans that roam this planet- so...comparing 2cell 1WLuxeons needs to be a job for someone else right now.If there's a financial renumeration opportunity that any of you know of- let's talk, PM me anytime- day or...night ;-)

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Aten_Imago said:
...But hey, I just asked a simple question and I believe it was misunderstood. I didn't mean to imply a cosmetic 'clone' but rather a functional similar with similar specs- a functional clone....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I understand your question a bit better now.

I think what you are seeing is a TREND. The compact, Luxeon Star (I, III or V) based, driven by either one or two 123A Lithium cells is probally proving to be a hot seller, so supply is being beefed up. I for one, am thrilled.
See this thread for a partial list of new LS based lights.

Aten_Imago

Banned

Stainless
Gosh! The trend is certainly not lost on me. No. I was focused on one specific form factor and market space. I understand the reluctance of anyone to respond to my very specific question since we try not to think of the possibility that most of the 2 cell 1W Luxeon lights we talk about here are functionally indistinguishable and perhaps slightly distinguishable from the point of view of Bins,optics/reflectors,clickie type and attachment options. I chuckle because it reminds me a bit of the Japanese car industry in the 70's. Almost all the brands of cars in the begining were made in the same factories and parts were sourced to the same manufactureres in the consortia. So here we are discussing these production lights as if they are different in function when they are really the same lights 'cross-dressing' as it were.It's the Performance Metrics I'm mostly curious about not the different looks. But never mind, it doesn't matter really

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

i think what distinguishes these lights apart from each other would be the switching mechanisms used, optics or reflectors, etc. some are better than others, and that's what we'll base our buying decisions on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

haley1

Enlightened

It does seem that everyone is comming out with a 1W LED light now, and in function they are clones. At least it seems to me anyway. But a 2 stage tailcap, or multiple levels. They are the original unless I'm missing something. I haven't seen any clones of these. Yes they are more expensive but isn't it worth it. In my opinion yes. I have a Dorcy 1AAA and an ARCAAA. Do I trust the Dorcy, no. The ARC yes. One night showing off to a friend a threw both across the room while on. The ARC survived the other didn't. In the end I guess you get what you pay for. So to answer your question, in a long drawn out rambling way, yes. It's just a matter of inovation, quality, and ultimately which company you want to support. Sorry, feeling long winded tonight. Long fingered?

haley1

Enlightened

Just read my post, I really shouldn't post while drinking magarita's. Sorry all.