Kickstarter: Fonarik

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone seen this light on Kickstarter yet? Seems like an interesting concept though the details are a bit scant.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-custom-everyday-carry-flashlight/description

654c2001bc296fa42f1c6663a393f30b_original.JPG

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certainly a nifty design but no specifics on LED choice or UI tells me it's not really intended for flashlight enthusiasts. I could be proved wrong though.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Looks nice. But what happens when lint,dirt, etc collects on the rails? And can you keep it in your pocket with other metal objects?

340pd

Newly Enlightened
I only wear automatic wristwatches and they are not compatable with magnets.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
"A better designed custom everyday carry flashlight" ...better than what? I think they're trying too hard to be clever. I don't see anything new in the way of usability and being waterproof isn't really anything special. I expect all flashlights to be water and dust resistant. Magnets on flashlights tend to attract all the things that you don't want. To me this comes across like yet another flashlight built by someone who thinks they can make a killing from their design...not really someone addressing a niche or building a task-specific tool that they themselves needed.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
That looks to me like someone trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

that's exactly what i thought while reading this on the KS page:

My name is Viktor. I'm a mechanical engineer and I have a passion for designing solutions to problems we come across in daily life.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
also, it would be cool if that slider adjusted the output. i think it's actually just an on/off switch though...

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certainly a nifty design but no specifics on LED choice or UI tells me it's not really intended for flashlight enthusiasts. I could be proved wrong though.

Yeah, high price and minimal function. They were more about the magnet gizmo and forgot about everything else. And I don't like magnets. So..............

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been following him on IG. I really like his passion for the project, but the actual light leaves a bit to be desired imo. =/

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea kinda overkill on the body, and poor performance by today standards.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the thoughts guys, it seems as enthusiasts we are all on the same page for this one. Being a side by side fan I had some hopes for it when I saw the initial pictures a while back, but all the mentioned reasons above have mostly crushed my enthusiasm. Now to wait for the Synergy 2...

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
my wife says "fonarik" means "flashlight" in russian.

Precisely :D This is why I have an itching feeling of a scam :) Will you buy a flashlight that is named "Flashlight"? ;) A project that is not supposed to become a trademark — you just cannot register basic words (table, pen, knife, etc.).

Next, engineering point. The tubes with different length of threads. As if they were never supposed to be assembled. One side is threaded, another... glued with an O-ring? :) If you are going to glue it permanently what the heck an O-ring is doing there? If it is supposed to be glued the entire light just CANNOT be disassembled later! :D A disposable flashlight?! Yeah, THAT is definitely innovative :crazy:

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The maker showed up on reddit recently to ask for feedback on his concept. Among the input given was that a lot of users like high CRI lights.