Klarus        
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789101112

Thread: The Malkoff Front Porch

Flashaholic

Default Re: The Malkoff Front Porch

I'm having some reliability hiccups with my M91BN in an Oveready-bored 9P, currently loaded with 2x18650s - button top unprotected 30Qs. Flat top cells didn't work - however they have worked with other dropins like all of the Lumens Factory incan- dropins. My solution right now is to put one or two of those battery-bumpers into the front of the battery tube, which is annoying to say the least. I get the sense (and logic would tell me....) that I am getting unreliable contact with the tailcap spring.

Is this a known issue? Is there perhaps a gasket I should be using with a Malkoff dropin in a (or some) Surefire host(s)?

I'm trying to hold off on buying new cells for the moment, I will if I have to. I need to also see if 4x CR123s have any issues.

But DAMN when this thing works it's SWEEEEEET. Passed my "warehouse" test just fine (so does the MDC 16650 V2 Nichia interestingly enough) and really lights up my whole yard. It's got quite a punchy beam to it for sure, very impressive given the size of the reflector. Can't wait to do some woods walks with this guy when I get it all working smoothly. Wish I could get a low mode in my SF..... makes me kinda hungry for an MD4.

Most of the reliability issues i had was with bad NEG conntact between drop in and the host. Try wraping the module in copper or alu foil and make it snug fit.

Does the drop in wiggle or can you hear it rattle in the head?
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

My Malkoff drop-ins do not play nice with some of my hosts (especially LEEF tubes). Wrapping the drop-in with foils help solve many of the issues.

Flashaholic

I should have probably given more information. The drop-in appears to be snug, once I fully twist the head on. It takes about a full turn for it to get loose IIRC, but I don't have it with me ATM.

I have not tried wrapping it, I will try this when I get home. That would be the ideal solution to the problem. Will report back in about an hour. Thanks fellas!

I know you can stretch the spring on the Dropin to help get better contact.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Flashaholic

THANK YOU THERMAL!!! (And everyone for all your ideas, I'll also pay better mind to wrapping my M61s!)

I was curious about that, I had tried the other day but it was very resistant and I didn't want to break anything, as I may be known for such antics...... Thanks for giving me the confidence, now I have it all working smooth with all battery types! Don't have to force the ones that barely fit.... but I'm not using protected cells... I guess I'll notice the output drop but maybe I should find some thinly wrapped protected cells. Or just lube them up....

What a great light!

Glad it all worked out for you!

Quote Originally Posted by dotCPF View Post
    ........maybe I should find some thinly wrapped protected cells. Or just lube them up....

What a great light!
    You might find that they fit if you remove the label. Also sometimes the have two shrink wraps on, you could remove one.
    Honestly though, you'll notice the drop in output as a warning that the cell is getting lower.
    The only ptotected cell I have left, is in an MD2 with a Nichia M61. I use it on low next to the bed, it runs for maybe 4 hours every evening and I expect the protected cell to to shut down when it's time. Except I can always spot the lowered output when it needs replacing before the protection kicks in.
    I used to use protected in my Hound Dog, but after a couple of times getting left in the dark, I never use use them.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Flashaholic

Yeah I have had to remove a few labels at this point dealing with bored lights now. I think you are probably right about that mantra though, you'll notice it in the users and in something like a bed light with low output it makes better sense to use the protected cell.

Either case I'm STOKED to have this light up and running with all the cell options open. Eventually I'll have to buy one of those M91Ws, but I'll probably want an MD4 first.

Flashaholic*

Just noticed the M361N is back in stock so I ordered one. I've missed them the last 2 times they've been restocked (just too slow, I guess).

This will bring my collection of Malkoff drop-ins up to the following:
    M61 (in MD2 with hi/lo)
    M61WLL (in G3)
    M61LLL 219b v2 (in NexTorch polymer host)
    M31LL 219b v2 (in VME head on E1 body)
    M361N (destined for MD3 or 6P or VME/E2...haven't decided)

I think that covers all my needs/wants as far as Malkoff drop-ins goes. I might eventually get a MDC 2AA body and maybe a MDC 1xCR123 body to use with my VME heads, but that all depends on whether I keep the M31LL paired with the E1 or not.

--flatline

Flashaholic*

After pondering things for a bit, I have two questions:

1. Might we ever see Neutral versions of the M31?

2. Are there ever L or LL versions of the M31W?

I'm aware of the LL and LLL versions occasionally available from Illumn, but I find that I prefer the regular Malkoff N and W beams to the 219b beam.

--flatline

I know I asked Gene a couple of years ago about the possibility of an M31N (and M31NL or M31WL). Things change, but his response at the time was that there hadn't been a ton of interest.

Well, except maybe us here on CPF at least...

Yes I would imagine he keeps his production Products to what the general population wants. He told me that at one time he had like 20-30 different Dropins. Or something like that. I would love it if he had a custom order section. You know any lumen, tint voltage you want. He could charge a premium and we would still pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by neutralwhite View Post
    is the 219B v3 drop in efficient compared to if a 219C was in the drop in ?
    219C a ways more efficient but also lower CRI

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789101112