Imalent        
Page 97 of 100 FirstFirst ... 478790919293949596979899100 LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,910 of 2991

Thread: The Malkoff Front Porch

Default Re: The Malkoff Front Porch

aaaaand now I'll be able to make better conclusions, I have NMiller's old HD XT on the way!
    Proud owner, SkyLumen Nguyen #011

List of my lights!

Quote Originally Posted by dotCPF View Post
    aaaaand now I'll be able to make better conclusions, I have NMiller's old HD XT on the way!
    I almost bought it, but every thrower I buy just sits on the shelf.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Think youíre going to like it. Puts a smile on my face.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Yeah, me too. Theyíre fun in a flashoholic sort of way but only really practical mounted on a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post

Same here. It was such an impulse buy. I really like it but canít stand seeing it sitting on the shelf. No more throwers for me. No more throwers for me......

If I had to guess I would think that the XT's use of an optic is more about durability than anything. While optics may not be inherently stronger than a reflector setup, that big acrylic lens is a massive weakspot in a few respects.
    FTFY

Those acrylic lenses seem pretty tough to me. Usually the use of an optic is either to achieve a certain beam profile and/or to improve on OTF lumens efficiency over a reflector.
    - Terry

Quote Originally Posted by NutSAK View Post
    FTFY

Those acrylic lenses seem pretty tough to me. Usually the use of an optic is either to achieve a certain beam profile and/or to improve on OTF lumens efficiency over a reflector.

Well I'll be, always thought it was glass!

List of my lights!

It's hard to tell isn't it? Gene must use a very high quality coating on the lenses. I'll take an acrylic lens of this quality over glass any day, especially on a tough-as-nails Malkoff.
    - Terry

Flashaholic*

Had a CR123 that wouldn't light anymore in the car flashlight, so, out of curiosity, I put it in my light with the M31LL (50L, 219B emitter) and it fired right up. No dimming at all that I can determine. Now I'm wondering if I've been recycling my batteries too soon...

M31LLís will really suck a battery dry.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

The Malkoff M31 boost driver is the best low-voltage driver I have ever seen - a quantum leap from the prior iteration.

E2 Super Scout is back for all those who are into that kind of thing. I have the E1HT and E2HT. Great heads, but they serve specific roles. I tried carrying one on the LX2 but its just too throwy and no spill for EDC, for me. Looking forward to the Super Scout as more of an EDC for my LX2. Been waiting for this to come back and just so happens there are 26 more available! Seems the lumens have been upped a bit and is using an XP-L, still 12k lux.

great! super scout have good throw and good spill.

what would be more EDC'able then between an M61T and M61HOT with the new Osram?

Quote Originally Posted by StagMoose View Post
    E2 Super Scout is back for all those who are into that kind of thing. I have the E1HT and E2HT. Great heads, but they serve specific roles. I tried carrying one on the LX2 but its just too throwy and no spill for EDC, for me. Looking forward to the Super Scout as more of an EDC for my LX2. Been waiting for this to come back and just so happens there are 26 more available! Seems the lumens have been upped a bit and is using an XP-L, still 12k lux.
    Malkoff M61T, Jetbeam E21A 5700k 9080 AAA.

The M61T and M61HOT are the same size, so for EDC pick one. I donít have a T, but do have the M61HOT.

There is no Osram M61HOT, so it is really pure speculation if you attempt to describe it. If it were to happen we would need to see the beam profile before making any determinations.

I find the M61HOT superb for EDC as it provides much better throw than any other M61 module I have tried along with reasonable and useable spill. It isnít a pure thrower, but throws useable light out to about 100yds max in my testing.

Regarding the E-Series lights, they are primarily designed for WML use. The HT versions throw very well for their size but have minimal useable spill and a much smaller hotspot. For EDC the HT versions were not incredibly useful, but could be used if you were inclined to really be carrying a thrower and rarely used it up close.

If you have seen an M91T, the M61HOT is identical in beam profile. They have the same amount of throw in my testing but the 91T offers a bit more lumens in the entire beam making it a little brighter/ fuller beam.

Quote Originally Posted by neutralwhite View Post
    what would be more EDC'able then between an M61T and M61HOT with the new Osram?

The M61T is a more versatile dropin voltage-wise (61HOT is only 3-6V****) and the lower pushed output means it will also run longer than the 61HOT. I would pick that for an EDC light, anything with these Osrams is going to kick some candela! So the 40%~ gain isn't as worth it day-to-day as good runtimes would.
    Last edited by dotCPF; 06-09-2020 at 02:04 PM.

List of my lights!

thanks DOT!.

The M61T is a more versatile dropin voltage-wise (61HOT is only 3-4.2V) and the lower pushed output means it will also run longer than the 61HOT. I would pick that for an EDC light, anything with these Osrams is going to kick some candela! So the 40%~ gain isn't as worth it day-to-day as good runtimes would.
    Malkoff M61T, Jetbeam E21A 5700k 9080 AAA.

Where is all this information coming from? Is the New HOT officially a 4.2v max?

The current HOT and HD XT are 6v max. Iíd assume the new HOT would allow for use of 2 primaries.

I feel like Iím missing something here or maybe you all just have some inside info I donít.

Either way, Iíd like to know as I am highly anticipating these rumored lights. Although some discussion seems to indicate they arenít rumored. So, what is the deal here?

The M61 HOT is good up to 6 volts. However I think it pulls more then the standard 1.5 A that people freak out about. So itís advised not to run 123ís

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    The M61 HOT is good up to 6 volts. However I think it pulls more then the standard 1.5 A that people freak out about. So itís advised not to run 123ís

Pull them till they blow. lol

DOIH I meant 6V not 4.2V, my brain just goes to that automatically. It's not the normal 3-9, thanks for the correction!

List of my lights!

Lol I know you knew that😁😁

Just came back from a short walk with my V6 and V7 wildcats both CW. I know the specks on them a very different the 6 having 400-500 more lumens and 50 feet or so more throw but that ainít what Iím seeing. Except for the different in tint ďthe 6 being a little whiterĒ they are pretty much identical. The 6 does seem a little brighter but the 7 actually looks like it has more throw. Spill to my eyes is the same both huge bright area lights. After 15 minutes or so the 6 was considerably hotter. Looks like gene knows what he doing. So imo if your kickings yourself in the butt because you missed out on the 6 donít. Because other then the head size the new wildcat is every bit as good as the 6.

Actually didn't know about the 2x CR123 thing though, so glad I said something! I don't let them get that low anyways, but still definitely good to be aware of.

List of my lights!

Just came back from a short walk with my V6 and V7 wildcats both CW. I know the specks on them a very different the 6 having 400-500 more lumens and 50 feet or so more throw but that ainít what Iím seeing. Except for the different in tint ďthe 6 being a little whiterĒ they are pretty much identical. The 6 does seem a little brighter but the 7 actually looks like it has more throw. Spill to my eyes is the same both huge bright area lights. After 15 minutes or so the 6 was considerably hotter. Looks like gene knows what he doing. So imo if your kickings yourself in the butt because you missed out on the 6 donít. Because other then the head size the new wildcat is every bit as good as the 6.
    Would you recommend a V7 to a V6 owner? I have the warm V6 and would get the warm V7. I am thinking there is not enough difference to get the V7?

The difference is very very little between them. Mine are both CW. The V6 although 450-500 lumens more appears only slightly brighter. Slightly. And the only way I think you could tell is if you had them side by side. The V6 at least to my eyes is not more floody.the V7 can take the heat better and give better runtimes. The real kicker is with the V7 Is if you take that diffuser off ďtakes 15 seconds ď you have a flood light that will throw 100 yards easy! Itís crazy. You get this huge hotspot but the dam thing will reach way out there. Kinda like two lights in one. I like them both and plan many more outings with them but after seeing the temperature difference between them after only 15 minutes Iím thinking the V7 might be the better pick. When I asked gene why he redesigned the wildcat his response was itís a battery hog and got hotter then he felt comfortable with. Not his exact words but those were his main concerns.

Oh and the low on the V7 is much brighter then the low on the V6. Not sure why but it is. And itís by a lot.
    Last edited by thermal guy; 06-10-2020 at 07:05 PM.

Iíd love a Neutral V6. They donít come up for sale often.

Regarding hi/lo rings I have found a couple different resistors on them. Going off memory, but I know I have one with a 75ohm. The rest are I believe 68 with another outlier that is 67.

I think the 68s are the most recent but I am uncertain. The 75 I think is older based on the color of the brass. Iíve switched things around quite a bit and donít recall what came on what, but wonder if there have been designs with different resistors on purpose for specific lights.

I need to buy some stuff from Malkoff including 2 tricaps and several other things. I might grab a V7 4000K. Just waiting for the stock to get replenished.

Quick and dirty beamshots:

malkoff e2xtd
    olight warrior x pro
    convoy C8vn+ w2.1
    malkoff hound dog super

Illumination of a canopy near a river, approx 100 yards. The e2xtd surprised me, very intense hotspot. The warrior x was not in the same class. The osram skylumen was close behind the e2xtd. Itís hard to compare the e2xtd and C8+vn because i think the C8+vn is a little more tightly focused. The hound dog super just has a monster hotspot. As far as throwers go it sends a lot of light a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice!! Always love those beam shots. Good comparisons.

Page 97 of 100 FirstFirst ... 478790919293949596979899100 LastLast