ArmyTek        
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sky Lumen Nguyen Flashlight Torture Tests Videos

Default Re: Sky Lumen Nguyen Flashlight Torture Tests Videos

Seriously Vinh. You need to market this to the military. This is the kind of stuff they look for. Not to mention all the money you could make from them.
    Sometimes we don't get what we pray for. Sometimes we get much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1322 View Post
    Seriously Vinh. You need to market this to the military. This is the kind of stuff they look for. Not to mention all the money you could make from them.
    Until I can find a way to make this light cheaper I think I will have a very hard time getting this light to any group of professional...Let start here and we will move on from there.
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Good point Kevin! The military spends this much on a hammer! Why not?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

could this be as good as in HDS , Malkoff , Elzetta Toughness ?
    Malkoff Devices MD2 M61T, JetE17A Red AAA.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by neutralwhite View Post
    Purely objectively speaking, I guess I would have to ask you if youíre aware of any specific testing regimens these other lights are subjected to and pass which havenít already been represented by Vinhís published series of extensive testing videos?
    Last edited by Bronco; 09-18-2019 at 07:50 AM.
    --Semper Fi--
    Bill
    Proud owner of SLN #009

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    Until I can find a way to make this light cheaper I think I will have a very hard time getting this light to any group of professional...Let start here and we will move on from there.
    As one who was a Marine logistics officer for many years, Iíll throw my two cents worth in the ring and say that Vinhís instincts are right on the money here. I would advise against devoting too much time and effort in these very early stages toward pursuing any sort of military contract.

In the vast majority of cases, the military procurement process is predicated upon finding the cheapest product that is capable of meeting a certain set of predetermined standards. In other words, when itís decided that a new piece of military gear is required, the warfighters and the bean counters will come together and draft a very detailed set of specifications which outline the minimum performance and durability criteria that the item must meet. Once that is done, then the military specification is published and a competition is conducted amongst willing manufacturers to determine which prototype submitted best meets those specifications and does so most cost effectively.

So in the final analysis, everything is predicated on the specification that is established. If the Army suddenly decides that it needs a handheld flashlight that can produce 4000 lumens of light, live for days under 30 feet of water and survive repeatedly being thrown off four story buildings, then Vinh is definitely in a good position with this light. But until a light meeting such an extreme set of specifications is deemed required, then much cheaper lights meeting far less rigorous minimum specifications will be awarded the contracts.

The stories you hear about the military paying $600 for a hammer or $1000 for a toilet seat are really just silly urban legends. I can promise you the military isnít spending hundreds of dollars for any common tool that can be had at Home Depot for $15. Unless you just happen to stumble across an active RFP with existing specifications that match very closely with the product youíve already developed, youíll quickly find yourself competing against other manufacturers with much deeper pockets who can develop a product from scratch specifically designed to just barely meet these standards as cost effectively as possible.

Thatís not to say that at some point down the road Vinh might not want to strike up a conversation with folks like those at CountyComm. If willing, Iím sure they could tell you everything you need to know about the process of petitioning the Defense Logistics Agency to have a national stock number (NSN) assigned to your product. But even going to that trouble and expense is no guarantee the military will actually purchase any of them. And as a purely practical side note, I can add that, where individual issue equipment is concerned, the military has a preference for gear powered by primary cells rather than rechargeable batteries.

For now, I think Vinh is wise in stating his preference to build the brand, build the reputation, build the customer base and build the capacity to deliver product. Doing all of these things will only enhance the future attractiveness of his creations to the military/LEO community.
    Last edited by Bronco; 09-18-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    --Semper Fi--
    Bill
    Proud owner of SLN #009

Quote Originally Posted by neutralwhite View Post
    SLN is not on the league of any of the premium brands u mentioned. However just being compared to these brands is already a huge compliment. I am not trying to be humble or anything. Just being blunt. Initially I was going to test SLN against another well known but then wife asked what r you trying to prove? I told her I want to prove that our light is reliable. Then she said then do that. People only need to see what ur light can do not what other lights can or cant. They can make their own inform decision. There will be things other lights can do that urs cant so don't bother. I listened. Anyhow I have several more tests I want to do. It will be fun! I hope I answer urs and many others similar question.
    Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 09-18-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    As one who was a Marine logistics officer for many years, Iíll throw my two cents worth in the ring and say that Vinhís instincts are right on the money here. I would advise against devoting too much time and effort in these very early stages toward pursuing any sort of military contract.

In the vast majority of cases, the military procurement process is predicated upon finding the cheapest product that is capable of meeting a certain set of predetermined standards. In other words, when itís decided that a new piece of military gear is required, the warfighters and the bean counters will come together and draft a very detailed set of specifications which outline the minimum performance and durability criteria that the item must meet. Once that is done, then the military specification is published and a competition is conducted amongst willing manufacturers to determine which prototype submitted best meets those specifications and does so most cost effectively.

So in the final analysis, everything is predicated on the specification that is established. If the Army suddenly decides that it needs a handheld flashlight that can produce 4000 lumens of light, live for days under 30 feet of water and survive repeatedly being thrown off four story buildings, then Vinh is definitely in a good position with this light. But until a light meeting such an extreme set of specifications is deemed required, then much cheaper lights meeting far less rigorous minimum specifications will be awarded the contracts.

The stories you hear about the military paying $600 for a hammer or $1000 for a toilet seat are really just silly urban legends. I can promise you the military isnít spending hundreds of dollars for any common tool that can be had at Home Depot for $15. Unless you just happen to stumble across an active RFP with existing specifications that match very closely with the product youíve already developed, youíll quickly find yourself competing against other manufacturers with much deeper pockets who can develop a product from scratch specifically designed to just barely meet these standards as cost effectively as possible.

Thatís not to say that at some point down the road Vinh might not want to strike up a conversation with folks like those at CountyComm. If willing, Iím sure they could tell you everything you need to know about the process of petitioning the Defense Logistics Agency to have a national stock number (NSN) assigned to your product. But even going to that trouble and expense is no guarantee the military will actually purchase any of them. And as a purely practical side note, I can add that, where individual issue equipment is concerned, the military has a preference for gear powered by primary cells rather than rechargeable batteries.

For now, I think Vinh is wise in stating his preference to build the brand, build the reputation, build the customer base and build the capacity to deliver product. Doing all of these things will only enhance the future attractiveness of his creations to the military/LEO community.
    Thank you for the very detail and informative post. Truly appreciate it.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Flashaholic

Thank you for the very detail and informative post. Truly appreciate it.
    My pleasure, Vinh. And many thanks to you and your family for taking the leap of faith and financial risks necessary to bring such fantastic products to the marketplace.
    --Semper Fi--
    Bill
    Proud owner of SLN #009

My pleasure, Vinh. And many thanks to you and your family for taking the leap of faith and financial risks necessary to bring such fantastic products to the marketplace.
    I have a question for you or for anyone fluent with English over at the lounge.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Serial 1-24 Black HA III Anodized

Serial 25-30 Hand Mirror Polished + Clear Anodized

Serial 25-30 will be here this Saturday to hand polish before it goes back to the shop for clear Anodizing

Question: Anyone interested in a bare aluminum with no Clear anodizing?

Also here are a bit more concrete pricing although not exact.

SLN host ~ $250 or less
    SLN Light Engines Range from $50-$150
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I like the idea of the clear anodizing over a mirror polished body. It's a high quality and classy finish.

Will you offer a run over/dropped from a building finish? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Will you offer a run over/dropped from a building finish? LOL

from a building finish?
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Hi Vinh,

I havenít had much opportunity to keep up with the thread. Can I pre-order the light with either serial numbers 5, 15, 25, etc. I just want one ending in 5 if possible. If not, a low serial would be nice like 3 or 8.

Thanks Vinh,

Sorry to anyone who thinks Iím jumping the queue! Iím really not!

-KC

Serial 1-24 Black HA III Anodized

Serial 25-30 Hand Mirror Polished + Clear Anodized

Serial 25-30 will be here this Saturday to hand polish before it goes back to the shop for clear Anodizing

Question: Anyone interested in a bare aluminum with no Clear anodizing?

Also here are a bit more concrete pricing although not exact.

SLN host ~ $250 or less
    SLN Light Engines Range from $50-$150
    yes, Iím interested in raw aluminum, no anodizing.

Iíd like a stonewashed version to pair with my Black HA III Anodized version.

I would like Raw ALuminum as well

Vinh, what would you do if an ultra wealthy internet dweller decided to purchase your $999,999,999.99 SLN preview item on your site?

Would you send him every last sample youíve ever made? And fly him in to Seattle and teach him how to mod lights?

Wishful thinking It could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyownEnergizer250lumen View Post
    Vinh, what would you do if an ultra wealthy internet dweller decided to purchase your $999,999,999.99 SLN preview item on your site?

Would you send him every last sample youíve ever made? And fly him in to Seattle and teach him how to mod lights?

Wishful thinking It could happen.
    I will have the full 100 made in 2075. Will send him serial 1 keep serial 54, and give all my supporters and team members one. I will donate $100,000 to CPF. The rest I will use to make Sky Lumen light up the world so I can give back to this benefactor and help out as many needy people as I can.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Serial 25-30 did not arrive today. Likely Monday then. Once arrived I will analyze production quality and then the details for launch soon after. I will likely launch here on CPF to allow you guys to do serial select. Whatever is left I will add to my store.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Vihn, forgive me if I've missed it if done, but can we have some size comparative picks?
    Sometimes we don't get what we pray for. Sometimes we get much more.

Vihn, forgive me if I've missed it if done, but can we have some size comparative picks?
    I will post plenty of photos on monday or tuesday when Production light is in
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I am all prep for tomorrow 6061 sample shooting test then I got curious and grab a relatively thick flashlight tube to shoot at with my PCP .25 pellet gun to see what's the damage and the result is devastating only at about 40ft/lb of energy.

SkyLumen54@gmail.com

.22lr is about 90ft/lb
    .380 is about 150ft/lb
    .32 HR Magnum 220ft/lb
    9mm 320ft/lb
    .327 Magnum 450ft/lb

Man with these number I think SLN 6061 can may be handle .22LR and 7075 may be .380.
    There is no way 9mm is even up for question...
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Flashaholic

Vinh, is there any downside to going with the potted option other than the initial added expense? For example, does it reduce the lightís ability to heat sink properly, or will it make future upgrades more expensive?
    --Semper Fi--
    Bill
    Proud owner of SLN #009

Vinh, is there any downside to going with the potted option other than the initial added expense? For example, does it reduce the lightís ability to heat sink properly, or will it make future upgrades more expensive?
    At first I was going to use cheaper potted adhesive like Fujik and just do a sloppy fill and it should still have the same benefits but then future driver upgrade/replacement would be a mess. Also fujik cant compare to arctic silver in terms of heat transfer. I also see some company coating a thin layer of clear adhesive. Which seem to insulate heat relieve despite cleaner look and easier future service. With these observations I figure individually coating each driver with a great thermal adhesive should reduce the mess and gives future access while does its job and doesnt insulate as much. Air without turbulent is not a very good heat sink so it's likely arctic silver adhesive might even help the components heatsink. Of course it's all speculation on my behalf. Frankly, none of this really matters. Unless u plan to drop ur light on a daily basis or work in a high moisture environment I do not think potting is needed. Save the money. However if you want the best of the best to avoid battery leak damage, sea water damage, and crazy extreme drops then yes I would pay the extra.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I got about 4 emails since I have started my torture tests. Each one revolve around my marketing strategy for this light and the hype around it. I will attempt to answer it here in case others have similar curiosities.

All of the tests done so far was to simulate the harshest exposure that I can think of. The goal was to produce a light that you can always trust to turn on. As simple as that. The hype was just a side effect because the light passed all the tests beyond my expectations. I tried my best to make the tests as observable as possible on video so everyone can make their own inform decisions. Regardless, If your purchase is not what it's hyped to be then simply returning it for a refund is always an option. Purchasing the light is not a trap. At least not one you can't get out of. Always let it be a relax purchase experience as I have never taken anyone's money and not deliver.

I got about the same number of emails asking about why does anyone need a light such as this. This one I can't really answer. My only goal was to make a light, then conduct a bunch of tests and hopefully based on those tests one might consider purchasing for thier needs/wants so I can pay the bills.

Cheers!
    Vinh

P.S When the light is fully launch/revealed I will talk about the light engine build and why I think it survived the tests.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast