Thread: Sky Lumen Nguyen Flashlight Torture Tests Videos

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile Sky Lumen Nguyen Flashlight Torture Tests Videos

SLN Torture Tests

Project Genesis - Sky Lumen Nguyen Build Thread

Proto V3 Testing Sample Specs & Background:

• Unpotted light engine - Let's see if driver can take the hits
    • Proto V3 is made of 6061 Aluminum not 7075 Aluminum: Not as tough as 7075 but a bit better heat sinking.
    • First run of 30 lights will be 7075. 2nd run of 30 will likely be 2011.
    • Testing light engine will be a Quad White 2 + DriverVN4 + FS54 + Copper Retainer. Set to a simple 2 level for function check.
    • Dual Orings on both ends of the body installed
    • Triple Orings on body installed
    • heavy Duty 2.25mm thick Blue boot installed
    • NO-OX-ID electrical conductive lube over all Orings except for the 3 on body
    • Dual side Antireflective 3mm tempered glass
    • Optional suspension flat oring behind glass installed
    • Standard matte Ti pocket clip. Screws and clip glued in place.
    • HA III finished. Production body parts will be sandblasted before HA III over for uniform look & gold alodyned over threads to prevent corrosion.
    • Clicky tail cap + standard head installed
    • Manker 21700 5000mAh Protected
    • Loaded weight 11.5oz
    • 135.mmm Long
    • Head & Body 33.4mm thick
    • Tail cap with clip 39.3mm thick

Test 1: Bucket Water Dunk

Test 2: High Water Pressure

Test 3: Corvette Drive Over

Test 4: Before Test Recap

Test 4: F150 Drive Over

Test 5: Heat Test

Test 6: Chemical Resistance

Test 7: Heat Test 2 - 4000L High Drain Samsung 30T

Test 8: Subzero

Test 9: Boiling Point

Test 10: Impact

Test 11: How to Kill SLN?

Before Test Images - Production light will look a bit different ;-)

Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 09-12-2019 at 01:14 PM.
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Default Re: Sky Lumen Nguyen Flashlight Torture Tests Videos

That's a good looking light, Vinh.
    Wildflower seeds on the sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home...

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    That's a good looking light, Vinh.
    I am glad you think so. I purposely wanted to keep the design as as sleek and hopefully as timeless as possible.
    Kind of ironic as the typical me enjoy the busy details hinted in my crazy engravings such as ones done on AHC bezels.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I havenít followed the build thread too closely, but it looks very robust and Iím looking forward to the torture tests. Will production models have a potted light engine?
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...5oUVN8rPDveKYA (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

Quote Originally Posted by the0dore3524 View Post
    I havenít followed the build thread too closely, but it looks very robust and Iím looking forward to the torture tests. Thank You!
    Will production models have a potted light engine? That is optional
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Flashaholic*

Why optional, please?
    Also, would you consider the Nichia 319A at 5000K?
    Itís the nicest emitter Iíve seen, by far.
    Thanks.
    Oveready Boss 35 & 70; Quark MKIII QK16L; LensLight Mini; HDS Rotary 325 XP-L, Clicky 170W; ZebraLight SC 600 MK III HI, SC600W, SC62W, SC60W, SC52W, SC51C, SC5W; EagleTac NW D25LC2 Tactical, NW D25LC2, NW D25A, NW D25C, DX30LC2 Clicky, DX3B Mini; Nitecore D10R2; Elzetta Alpha; Jaxman E3; Reylight Ti

Quote Originally Posted by hatman View Post
    Why optional, please?
    Also, would you consider the Nichia 319A at 5000K?
    Itís the nicest emitter Iíve seen, by far.
    Thanks.
    Because potting make upgrading and epairs harder and costlier in the future. Plus it cost more to pot the light engine in the first place. This is why its an optional.
    All LEDs are considered. Email for custom order.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Originally Posted by Zunkted
    Just got done watching the videos that you posted so far on youtube and man you are going all out on those test and its holding up great so far. Glad to see you're excited about the light as i think we all are too. One question on the tail cap i noticed in your videos that everytime you ran over it that it turned off the light because it loosened. In normal use is it super easy to loosen that tail cap by accident? Not at all. I am also very very surprised that the tail cap and head smooth operation is retained after all the abuse.

Also Lets chat over at the new Torture thread. I will close this thread and only use it for production updates.

Ok, that's awesome. I was just worried that it was super loose and yes it still looks super smooth after all of those run over tests. Looking good bud!

Vinh, you've done a fantastic job with this light and an excellent job so far with this video series.

CPFer's don't forget to like and comment these videos as it will help to drive some traffic toward his channel and Sky Lumen.

Please do the drop test it is the most important test

SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    Please do the drop test it is the most important test
    Please refer to post 1 for upcoming tests
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Okay thank you

An offtopic expert question: dear Vinh, do you use an oscilloscope in your work and if yes, which one?

I will answer this one over at the lounge. Thanks
    Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 09-09-2019 at 07:05 AM.

I got this budget Infared Thermometer on Amazon for number 5 heat test. Seems off. For example my wall seem colder than 72F and, my skin less warm than 88F, a metal surface I heated up that is burning to the hand was only 200F, icecream in the freezer at a low 17F. I guess worst case we will just use it as a guidance on temp changes rather than accuracy. Anyone got one to comment?

SkyLumen54@gmail.com

#9...start with bird shot, and keep ramping up the caliber. Know anyone with a .50 cal? No matter what the #9 test is, for the most drama, it could be shot at night, only lit by a dozen or so other Genesis lights...

By the way its crazy how much adrenaline I went through. Doesn't seem much on video but I was crazy nervous and excited. Off camera we did a test run over a "normal" light and yeah it was crushed. That made me soooo worried!

I was thinking if the head got crush then I will be VERY screwed! I wouldn't know what to do. Literal devastation. I am so happy we made it this far. In fact I couldn't sleep more than 4 hours last night thinking about everything and what's next. Whooo :-)
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Wow, you really are trying hard! Doing a burn-out over it parallel was bad enough, and even though 6061 is soft, the hard ano was enough to protect it, and you didn't scratch the ano! Perpendicular was asking too much for the 6061, it's just too soft. 7075 would have had problems as well, but the scratches would have been much more minor, it's MUCH harder than 6061. Other than some of the other really expensive lights made by small makers like us the lights are 6061 or sometimes 2011. The main advantage of 6061 is corrosion resistance, which is why it's used in aircraft, but it's soft and lower in strength than either 2011 or 7075. 7075 is getting up close to steel in its characteristics, but is VERY expensive, which is why it's not used in many if any high production flashlights. As long as the flashlight is anodized and/or alodyned, corrosion resistance isn't an issue.

Since you seem bent on destroying it, you should really keep going after you hit it with your high powered pellet rifle. I'd go for 22, then 308 and 9mm. Even though it's 6061, it's strong enough that I wouldn't be surprised if it gets as far as the 9mm. Who knows, it might even handle the 9mm. I'm pretty confident that the 7075 will survive a 9mm if you don't hold it fixed solidly, and who knows, it might even survive that. If you had had the 6061 versizn glued down to the asphalt strongly enough to keep it from detaching during Phuong's burn-out, I doubt very much that the hard ano would have been fazed.
    Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 09-09-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Wow I didn't know 7075 was that much more expensive and tough. Makes me like my ROT66 even more.

Wow I didn't know 7075 was that much more expensive and tough. Makes me like my ROT66 even more.

Yes, and this light has a LOT of it!

Wow! , I just saw your videos last night and Genesis did very well all things considered. You have already surpassed the level of destructive testing offered by run4jc, over at the famous Saw Mill Inn. I can't wait to see how the light performs on the final tests. Zandar

Quote Originally Posted by LarryB View Post
    Wow, you really are trying hard! Doing a burn-out over it parallel was bad enough, and even though 6061 is soft, the hard ano was enough to protect it, and you didn't scratch the ano! Perpendicular was asking too much for the 6061, it's just too soft. 7075 would have had problems as well, but the scratches would have been much more minor, it's MUCH harder than 6061. Other than some of the other really expensive lights made by small makers like us the lights are 6061 or sometimes 2011. The main advantage of 6061 is corrosion resistance, which is why it's used in aircraft, but it's soft and lower in strength than either 2011 or 7075. 7075 is getting up close to steel in its characteristics, but is VERY expensive, which is why it's not used in many if any high production flashlights. As long as the flashlight is anodized and/or alodyned, corrosion resistance isn't an issue.

Since you seem bent on destroying it, you should really keep going after you hit it with your high powered pellet rifle. I'd go for 22, then 308 and 9mm. Even though it's 6061, it's strong enough that I wouldn't be surprised if it gets as far as the 9mm. Who knows, it might even handle the 9mm. I'm pretty confident that the 7075 will survive a 9mm if you don't hold it fixed solidly, and who knows, it might even survive that. If you had had the 6061 versizn glued down to the asphalt strongly enough to keep it from detaching during Phuong's burn-out, I doubt very much that the hard ano would have been fazed.

Our man has finally spoken! Mr. Larry is the man behind all of the computer design. On our road trip to Cali last summer Phuong and I met up with Mr. Larry and his wife for dinner to thank him for a huge purchase that he made to help me acquire my engagement ring for Phuong. Some of you might have remember that the sale close prematurely as be bought all of the lights from the sale to help me out. During dinner Larry proposed that its finally time I should build my first light. He volunteered his time and expertise with computer design and machining FREE OF CHARGE! We got SLN today 50% due to Mr. Larry! I likely contributed 10% to the left over 50%. :-P

A dear gratitude to the man that have done everything for us without ever asking for anything in return. The man that has put up with my countless request for changes in design and unreasonable requests. The man that made all my talk happened. Thank You!!!!

Vinh&Phuong
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I canít watch...
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Throughout your destructive testing, I was much more concerned that you would destroy yourself before the light! :scared: We can always get another light, but there's only one of you!

Every test result was remarkable! In that high drain heat test, the light could have boiled its own water for the cooking test, LOL.

It's truly a dive light. At that depth, it's subjected to two atmospheres for 17 hours; phenomenal!

It's not an inexpensive light, but it's worth every penny. It will still be around when all our other lights have failed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Throughout your destructive testing, I was much more concerned that you would destroy yourself before the light! :scared: We can always get another light, but there's only one of you! Thank You! Phuong feel the same. When I get excited I tend to not think safety first. Gotta work on that.

Every test result was remarkable! In that high drain heat test, the light could have boiled its own water for the cooking test, LOL.
    For this one I was scared. I felt the barrier I was behind might not be enough. Had to hide behind the truck. I was going to back the truck out too ahhaha. I was going to do that test all out in the open but I couldnt get the camera to focus on the digital read outs.

It's truly a dive light. At that depth, it's subjected to two atmospheres for 17 hours; phenomenal!
    I still hope people don't take it diving as it's not intended for that. There will be a diving version tested by a diver to validate its safety to do so. I will remember to make a note that this is not a diving light as is without its proper attachments at time of release.

It's not an inexpensive light, but it's worth every penny. It will still be around when all our other lights have failed.
    Thanks for the kind words but that statement only hold a tiny bit truth only if the other lights were subjected to the same exact abuse. We all know no one abuse our lights like that. They are our babies! Yes they are tools and we should put them to work and rack on them battle scars but no one is going to drag their light or play basketlight with it.

Someone mentioned that I should test another light along side SLN to validate my design choices. I read this comment in the shower and had soemtime to soak it in. Initially I did ran over a light of another brand which I wont name. Then I decided to not make my videos that way. Phuong's advice made me a bit wiser. I am not here to prove what other lights can't do as there are tons of things other lights can that my couldn't. I am just here to experiment and explore what mines can and celebrate to that.

By the way reading your posts always give a boost in energy even when I am most stressed which I often am when I am at my work desk. Going around making people days better is likely one of your most wonderful trait.

Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 09-15-2019 at 12:17 PM.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Have a cat play with it and push it off a desk. That always seems to break things. I don't think the Nguyen stands a chance against that.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    Have a cat play with it and push it off a desk. That always seems to break things. I don't think the Nguyen stands a chance against that.
    OK I will try that
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    Those devilish little bandits! They're always up for a bit of mischief!

I am going to make a long drive out to my usual shooting location to see if I can put a few shots on Proto V3 SLN Testing Sample tomorrow. If that doesn't work out I might have to ask for a volunteer.

I really really cant wait to handle the production 7075 version and see all the final touches I added to the production light.

I am also starting to work on the launch layout and all the exact details including what I know about pricing. So much more complicated than I thought. We will get there...
    Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 09-16-2019 at 12:49 AM.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Good point Kevin! The military spends this much on a hammer! Why not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast