• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sky Lumen Nguyen Flashlight Torture Tests Videos

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
SLN Torture Tests

Project Genesis - Sky Lumen Nguyen Build Thread

Proto V3 Testing Sample Specs & Background:

• Unpotted light engine - Let's see if driver can take the hits
  • Proto V3 is made of 6061 Aluminum not 7075 Aluminum: Not as tough as 7075 but a bit better heat sinking.
  • First run of 30 lights will be 7075. 2nd run of 30 will likely be 2011.
  • Testing light engine will be a Quad White 2 + DriverVN4 + FS54 + Copper Retainer. Set to a simple 2 level for function check.
  • Dual Orings on both ends of the body installed
  • Triple Orings on body installed
  • heavy Duty 2.25mm thick Blue boot installed
  • NO-OX-ID electrical conductive lube over all Orings except for the 3 on body
  • Dual side Antireflective 3mm tempered glass
  • Optional suspension flat oring behind glass installed
  • Standard matte Ti pocket clip. Screws and clip glued in place.
  • HA III finished. Production body parts will be sandblasted before HA III over for uniform look & gold alodyned over threads to prevent corrosion.
  • Clicky tail cap + standard head installed
  • Manker 21700 5000mAh Protected
  • Loaded weight 11.5oz
  • 135.mmm Long
  • Head & Body 33.4mm thick
  • Tail cap with clip 39.3mm thick

Test 1: Bucket Water Dunk

Test 2: High Water Pressure

Test 3: Corvette Drive Over

Test 4: Before Test Recap

Test 4: F150 Drive Over

Test 5: Heat Test

Test 6: Chemical Resistance

Test 7: Heat Test 2 - 4000L High Drain Samsung 30T

Test 8: Subzero

Test 9: Boiling Point

Test 10: Impact

Test 11: How to Kill SLN?

Before Test Images - Production light will look a bit different ;-)
g0eGjzE.jpg

SMrWDlq.jpg

oIgD5hi.jpg

4X6SxJ8.jpg

bQrD5js.jpg

MJy2x0Q.jpg

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
That's a good looking light, Vinh. :thumbsup:

I am glad you think so. I purposely wanted to keep the design as as sleek and hopefully as timeless as possible.
Kind of ironic as the typical me enjoy the busy details hinted in my crazy engravings such as ones done on AHC bezels.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't followed the build thread too closely, but it looks very robust and I'm looking forward to the torture tests. Will production models have a potted light engine?

hatman

Enlightened
Why optional, please?
Also, would you consider the Nichia 319A at 5000K?
It's the nicest emitter I've seen, by far.
Thanks.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Why optional, please?
Also, would you consider the Nichia 319A at 5000K?
It's the nicest emitter I've seen, by far.
Thanks.

Because potting make upgrading and epairs harder and costlier in the future. Plus it cost more to pot the light engine in the first place. This is why its an optional.
All LEDs are considered. Email for custom order.

Zunkted

Newly Enlightened
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Zunkted

Just got done watching the videos that you posted so far on youtube and man you are going all out on those test and its holding up great so far. Glad to see you're excited about the light as i think we all are too. One question on the tail cap i noticed in your videos that everytime you ran over it that it turned off the light because it loosened. In normal use is it super easy to loosen that tail cap by accident? Not at all. I am also very very surprised that the tail cap and head smooth operation is retained after all the abuse.

Also Lets chat over at the new Torture thread. I will close this thread and only use it for production updates.

Ok, that's awesome. I was just worried that it was super loose and yes it still looks super smooth after all of those run over tests. Looking good bud!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Pray with me that the light makes it through all 8 tests. Once we are there number 9 will be FUN!! Phuong gave much a bunch of creative ideas already!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Vinh, you've done a fantastic job with this light and an excellent job so far with this video series.

CPFer's don't forget to like and comment these videos as it will help to drive some traffic toward his channel and Sky Lumen.

Patriot

Flashaholic
If all the tests go as planned, are we still looking for an approximate sales date sometime in Oct?

Johnnyh

Enlightened
....Once we are there number 9 will be FUN!! Phuong gave much a bunch of creative ideas already!
LOL! I've been married for 43 years so believe me, my lovely spouse could also make some great suggestions on #9! I'm sure she's thought of some doozies for me! Oh...and the light is truly a beautiful piece of work!