NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sky Lumen Nguyen Flashlight Torture Tests Videos

Default Re: Sky Lumen Nguyen Flashlight Torture Tests Videos

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    Ok so here is how I plan to do it.
    I will have every available serial number ready to order on my store.
    Grab the serial you want and check out ASAP. This secure you the SLN host.
    Come back and add a light engine to cart afterwards when you have more time to decide what you want it to be.
    First 30 will be 7075 for sure
    Serial 1-24 will be Black HA III
    Serial 25-30 will be hand mirror polished and clear anodized
    More info when we are nearly there
    This is a good plan. I was worried I'd miss the serial number I wanted while deciding on all the options lol

On your store it says sold out already, does that mean the first batches are all gone?
    I knew i should not have fallen asleep today...

Flashaholic

It's not for sale yet.

Quote Originally Posted by daffy View Post
    On your store it says sold out already, does that mean the first batches are all gone?
    I knew i should not have fallen asleep today...
    That's just a teaser/place holder listing in his store, you haven't missed out!

Vinh, if your website crashes, it might be my fault for reloading it every 15 seconds lol

Flashaholic

What an awesome series of test videos.

Now all we need is for someone to start manufacturing Viton switch boots.
    --Semper Fi--
    Bill
    Proud owner of SLN #009

SLN Test 10: @ Depth
    https://youtu.be/dxeg__dL9q0
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

SLN Test 10: @ Depth
    https://youtu.be/dxeg__dL9q0
    That was my fav test video to date. Gave me a tear or two from watching you as happy as you were.
    Congrats Vinh!
    and thatís not even a diving version! The drop test is my most anticipated video. Canít wait.

Had a great nap today. Mostly caught up with all the missing sleep.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by b8llzblue View Post
    The drop test is my most anticipated video. Canít wait.
    Same, here. I think it's the most practical test and the one that concerns me most. I'm not anticipating that it won't pass, just the opposite, but I feel that the drop test will be placing the most shock/stress on the light off all the tests (apart from shooting at it). The contacts, LEDs, driver, can all be effected and all it takes is for one solder connection to fail and I don't want it to fail.

Glad you got some rest Vinh. Great job on the videos. I like and comment on every one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    Same, here. I think it's the most practical test and the one that concerns me most. I'm not anticipating that it won't pass, just the opposite, but I feel that the drop test will be placing the most shock/stress on the light off all the tests (apart from shooting at it). The contacts, LEDs, driver, can all be effected and all it takes is for one solder connection to fail and I don't want it to fail.

Glad you got some rest Vinh. Great job on the videos. I like and comment on every one of them.
    Thank you for your support. It means tremendous for me as a brand new light builder.

The drop test is schedule for tomorrow. We will do the drop test with the unpotted light engine that we have been using for all the tests so far. If it pass then wonderful. If the light engine fails then I will make another light engine that is potted and redo. Potting will be optional at time of order. I suspect most will not need this option as it adds little benefits if our current light engine passes all the drop tests.

Today after the "@ Deapth" test I found out the optics seems to be a bit bent from heat. I am sure the "Boiling Point" test did this because I did not notice this before that test. Beam is still good and light of course operated flawlessly but I thought I mention that. If you are going to cook the light without a battery inside then the optics is the weakest link.
    Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 09-13-2019 at 10:56 PM.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I'll make a mental note of that next time I take my optics light into a volcano.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    I'll make a mental note of that next time I take my optics light into a volcano.
    ahhaha

Boiling Point is 212F and our Samsung 30T heat test max temp is also about 212F. An interesting coincidence.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

It would actually surprise me quite a bit if boiling water warped the optic however, it's difficult to argue against if that's when you noticed it.

Even though the body temp reached 212F during the thermal testing, I suspect that the MCPCB, and optic got substantially hotter. Easy to test the boiling theory though, just toss a couple in boiling water for a few minutes and see if they're effected. I think high temperature acrylics melt well above 300F but perhaps even higher melting points are possible with today's acrylics.

For sure. Bounce/sheer/deflect into a spray of fragments. Even square on I think the 9mm will lose most of its mass to fragments. It will be neat to see what Scout comes up with.
    It came to me in a dream...how about taking out the battery, and taking a rifle shot straight through the center of the (side of the) battery tube. Hook up leads from a battery or power supply, and show that even a light with a rifle bullet hole through its side it still works! The visual on that would be impressive, and I'd certainly bet the light would still work...

Just finished watching the drop test and drag videos, and all I can say is WOW. Amazing. From a design and durability standpoint, I'd say this light is already an incredible success. I really hope it's equally as successful from a financial perspective. I can honestly say that I have never anticipated the purchase of any other light as much as this one. Usually I only get this excited about a light if its going to become my highest output or farthest throwing or most impressive size to output ratio light. I think the insane durability, no compromise components, and especially the uniqueness of the light really make this a must have for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDissent View Post
    Just finished watching the drop test and drag videos, and all I can say is WOW. Amazing. From a design and durability standpoint, I'd say this light is already an incredible success. I really hope it's equally as successful from a financial perspective. I can honestly say that I have never anticipated the purchase of any other light as much as this one. Usually I only get this excited about a light if its going to become my highest output or farthest throwing or most impressive size to output ratio light. I think the insane durability, no compromise components, and especially the uniqueness of the light really make this a must have for me.
    Thank You!

SkyLumen54@gmail.com

This thing took a BEATING! HOLY SMOKES VINH!!!
    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

Quote Originally Posted by noboneshotdog View Post
    This thing took a BEATING! HOLY SMOKES VINH!!!
    Amazingly the bezel is still perfectly round. All threads are as smooth as new.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Will you be opening up serial number reservations any time soon, or will it be closer to the mid October release?

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDissent View Post
    Will you be opening up serial number reservations any time soon, or will it be closer to the mid October release?
    I am still debating this. I will have an answer soon.

By the way You mentioned: "Usually I only get this excited about a light if its going to become my highest output or farthest throwing or most impressive size to output ratio light."

Well don't rule that one out yet. With the 14 LED light engine it might be the brightest single cell light ahahha
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Thank You!

Vinh's newest AHC head before right before the HC process!

ahaha

Can you guys think of anymore tests?
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Vinh, you've been more than thorough with the testing. I'm convinced this light with handle both normal and abnormal kinds of abuse. Sure, you could always shoot it but I view that as more of a side show that anything practical. Regardless, do what makes you happy/satisfied. We're enjoying the show!

Yes, SLN RUSTIC!!!
    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

Throughout your destructive testing, I was much more concerned that you would destroy yourself before the light! :scared: We can always get another light, but there's only one of you!

Every test result was remarkable! In that high drain heat test, the light could have boiled its own water for the cooking test, LOL.

It's truly a dive light. At that depth, it's subjected to two atmospheres for 17 hours; phenomenal!

It's not an inexpensive light, but it's worth every penny. It will still be around when all our other lights have failed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Throughout your destructive testing, I was much more concerned that you would destroy yourself before the light! :scared: We can always get another light, but there's only one of you! Thank You! Phuong feel the same. When I get excited I tend to not think safety first. Gotta work on that.

Every test result was remarkable! In that high drain heat test, the light could have boiled its own water for the cooking test, LOL.
    For this one I was scared. I felt the barrier I was behind might not be enough. Had to hide behind the truck. I was going to back the truck out too ahhaha. I was going to do that test all out in the open but I couldnt get the camera to focus on the digital read outs.

It's truly a dive light. At that depth, it's subjected to two atmospheres for 17 hours; phenomenal!
    I still hope people don't take it diving as it's not intended for that. There will be a diving version tested by a diver to validate its safety to do so. I will remember to make a note that this is not a diving light as is without its proper attachments at time of release.

It's not an inexpensive light, but it's worth every penny. It will still be around when all our other lights have failed.
    Thanks for the kind words but that statement only hold a tiny bit truth only if the other lights were subjected to the same exact abuse. We all know no one abuse our lights like that. They are our babies! Yes they are tools and we should put them to work and rack on them battle scars but no one is going to drag their light or play basketlight with it.

Someone mentioned that I should test another light along side SLN to validate my design choices. I read this comment in the shower and had soemtime to soak it in. Initially I did ran over a light of another brand which I wont name. Then I decided to not make my videos that way. Phuong's advice made me a bit wiser. I am not here to prove what other lights can't do as there are tons of things other lights can that my couldn't. I am just here to experiment and explore what mines can and celebrate to that.

By the way reading your posts always give a boost in energy even when I am most stressed which I often am when I am at my work desk. Going around making people days better is likely one of your most wonderful trait.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 09-15-2019 at 12:17 PM.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Have a cat play with it and push it off a desk. That always seems to break things. I don't think the Nguyen stands a chance against that.

Have a cat play with it and push it off a desk. That always seems to break things. I don't think the Nguyen stands a chance against that.
    OK I will try that
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Those devilish little bandits! They're always up for a bit of mischief!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast