Zebralight quality has been a big disappointment

bkpdle

Newly Enlightened
I really like Zebralight's selection and feature set but their stuff has given me nothing but problems.

As of today, every single flashlight I have purchased from Zebralight over the last several years has died due to leaking AA battery. All the models I've purchased have been AA models. I have other makes of flashlight that are AA models and not a one has leaked nor died on me (e.g., my Malkoffs). I have never had a leak in Malkoff light. Yet every Zebralight has leaked. It just seems like it's got to be the light. I'm using the same AA brand between them (Duracell).

So I swore off Zebralight AA and started buying 18650 torches. First one I received would turn on if you gently just laid your finger on the button without even a push. Second one was dead on arrival. It would never turn on.

Are other people not experiencing these same things? I can't say I feel comfortable buying from them anymore. They have great features, weight, physical design, but no reliability in my experience. And these lights are not cheap either.

EDIT: Ugh, I meant to post this in LED Flashlights forum. Admin, can you move this post to that forum?

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean the BATTERIES have leaked? I don't think a Zebralight can leak on its own. Now a ZEBRA can take a leak, but that's totally different.

bkpdle

Newly Enlightened
You mean the BATTERIES have leaked? I don't think a Zebralight can leak on its own. Now a ZEBRA can take a leak, but that's totally different.

Yeah, the batteries are leaking. But every single battery I have put in a zebralight has leaked. These are new alkalines. I am putting new alkalines in other brands and have had zero leaks from other brands. Don't you think that seems awfully strange? I'm wondering if others have experienced anything similar. Is this just extremely bad luck and "coincidence" that the Zebralights have all leaked on me?

parametrek

Enlightened
Please spend $3 and get a rechargeable NiMH AA for it. Alkalines should not be used in Zebralights. They pull more current than alkalines can safely provide. This is in no way a fault of the light.

It seems like you did have a run of bad luck with the 18650 models but this is what their return period and warranty is for. "Crib deaths" are a problem with any modern electronics.

Were you using button top cells? The latest gen of zebralights are too compact for button tops and the light won't turn on with them because it can't be screwed all the way closed.

bkpdle

Newly Enlightened
Please spend $3 and get a rechargeable NiMH AA for it. Alkalines should not be used in Zebralights. They pull more current than alkalines can safely provide. This is in no way a fault of the light.

Okay, so in general then, it is not a good idea to use alkaline in Zebralights. One can expect trouble-free operation from lithium AA use? The leakage is due to the fact that Zebralight is calibrated for higher output than alkaline is geared for, so for long-term use, only use Lithium? Am I understanding the situation correctly? (this was an expensive lesson)

archimedes

Flashaholic
Okay, so in general then, it is not a good idea to use alkaline in Zebralights....

Personally, I no longer use alkaline batteries in anything.

Well, to be fair ... in 99.9 (+) % of situations, those where I have found a reasonable alternative.

I have had new alkalines leak, old alkalines leak, full alkalines leak, empty alkalines leak, alkalines still in package leak, leaks in high drain devices, low drain devices, leaks during use, leaks while being stored, leaks in items exposed to large temperature fluctuation, leaks in items at constant temperature, every brand I tried leak, and ... what am I forgetting ?

Maybe that covers it.

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, so in general then, it is not a good idea to use alkaline in Zebralights.... m I understanding the situation correctly?

No.

This has nothing to do with the brand of the light, and everything to do with the chemistry of the cell. All of Zebralight's product that takes a "AA" sized light indicates Alkaline cells are meant to be used. However, they do advise to use NiMH Eneloops.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I am likely about to curse myself but I have never had a ZL leak issue at all and I mostly use Alkalines in the AA versions that I have and this goes back to just before the SC52 was released for the record.

I do however use the AA batteries really quickly and am pretty sure that this is the reason for my luck to date.
I can go through a few a day easily and at that rate I just do not have issues with ZL or any other AA lights that I use like this.

I have mostly switched to 18650 though for EDC as I just prefer the longer runtimes and higher output over the AA options for my EDC and I am pretty much a satisfied user of them now.
I do keep an SC52w by the bed with a 14500 in it too and since I mainly use it in a Moonlight mode the battery lasts in there for a good long time too,much longer than I want a "Leaker: in there for sure!

I have also used Eneloops and they will not leak as far as I have ever known.

Overall with more than 10 ZL on the shelf I have not really had a single problem or issue with any of them,not once.

I do not count the times that I have tried to burn my Junk Off by not being careful enough with the switch either!
Close luckily does not count there!

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes in all seriousness grab some Eneloops and a charger and your problems are solved. Zebralights are awesome.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the parasitic drain of lights with electronic switches can also cause Alkalines to leak. So if they're gonna sit for a while, the batteries should probably be removed.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you do not use them a whole lot for a long time if you are using alkalines. May I suggest Lithium primary batteries? I had a 2013ish SC62d wear out on me (I use them a lot) and Zebralight sent it back to me repaired and seemingly good for another round. A $60-$80 dollar flashlight does not deserve to be a victim of old battery chemistry.

holygeez03

Enlightened
I haven't used an alkaline in ANYTHING for years... especially not a nice light... they are just a bad idea in general when you consider the potential for leaks and the waste involved. And they are simply not as good performance-wise.

They should be for emergencies only (while the Eneloops charge).

If you absolutely need to use non-rechargeable... lithium primaries for sure.

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
Great results with Zebralight. In extreme heat, saltwater and extreme humidity. I dont use alka-leaks. If you use high settings and use alka-leaks, it's a recipe for leaked batteries and corrosion. The high amperage draw of modern flashlights and alkalines are a poor mix. Zebralight has been a VERY dependable manufacturer in my experience. I have had more failures from other heavily touted brands, SF, HDS 4-7 and Jetbeam, than I have from ZL. Got a ZL H52W and a Photon Freedom on my person right now. They have survived a salt water rich air and water environment which has made others fail. The ZL pocket clips are short lived in salty environments though.

Robin Dobbie

Newly Enlightened
Even many ebay cheapie AA lights also accept 3.7v 14500 cells. It's surprising to me that any premium AA light wouldn't also accept them. But looking at some Zebra AA lights, they don't. Weird.

The couple zebralights I looked at also claimed their operating voltage is .7 - 2v. To me that seems like a bit of a problem with NiMH cells because I feel like I may have killed off some good NiMH cells by unknowingly taking them below a volt. With alkalines, it's accepted that draining them until dead is how to get all the value out of them. Until they leak, of course. Then how much value was that? But if I were to use a premium AA light, I would want some selectable low-voltage protection depending on the cells I was using. I don't know if a light like that exists, but I also don't know why alkalines are even still purchased.

If you're ok with 18650-sized lights, by all means they make way more sense in every way.

If the AA size is a must, I wouldn't knowingly buy a light without 14500 support. You can either get protected 14500s or a light that has low-voltage protection. You could get lithiums, but dang what a waste.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Primary lithium batteries are not a waste for certain applications by any means: infrequent use, extreme cold, etc.
Some people do not want to have to recharge batteries.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
if every single cell leaked in ZL but not in other lights, then it may be the light, maybe it transfers heat to the battery itself somehow. also what is the current pulled from AA cell? maybe it is too much for alkalines to take, i have no ZL that uses AA cells but plenty of other lights that use AA, i don't remember last time any had a leak.

Robin Dobbie

Newly Enlightened
Primary lithium batteries are not a waste for certain applications by any means: infrequent use, extreme cold, etc.
Some people do not want to have to recharge batteries.

For certain applications, iguess.jpg. For general flashlight usage, I can't imagine how they're not a waste. Waste of time, waste of materials, and not even as high-drain as a good 18650. But at least there's some advantage over alkaline. If OP had either rechargeables or lithiums, messes would not have been made in the lights.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
For certain applications, iguess.jpg. For general flashlight usage, I can't imagine how they're not a waste. Waste of time, waste of materials, and not even as high-drain as a good 18650. But at least there's some advantage over alkaline. If OP had either rechargeables or lithiums, messes would not have been made in the lights.

Again,I use leakers every day all day long and have yet to have a leak at all.

I use them a lot and use them up quickly and it is not always practical for someone to use other batteries whether you understand this or not.

Maybe not ideal but hardly a waste,they pay their own way for sure and then some.