Help me identify these Surefire Lights?

RandomITGuy

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

So a little story behind these lights...In 2012 I was working at a Radioshack. A gentlemen came in and started asking me about different switches and various other electronic parts (hard to remember now) but I asked him what he needed them for and he responded he had some ideas for flashlights. We got to talking and it turns out he worked for Surefire, if I recall correctly he said he was VP of product design. So I mentioned I didn't have anything that nice but that I loved my Fenix LD20 (Still do BTW, it was 3 years old back then) and his response was along the lines of "Eh, Chinese junk, I'll bring you some real lights!" Sure enough, he stopped in just a day or two later and gave me 3 Surefire lights; I gave one to an employee and kept the other two. A little while after that he came in and he gave me 2 prototype headlamps. Really cool guy and full of information.

I do not know what models the flashlights he gave me are and I have tried to find them to no avail. I don't know if they are also prototypes or not; I'm hoping someone here can help.
WXRnuf.jpg

YDGeGT.jpg

The bodies look like the G2 series bodies but the tail cap and fore-end are aluminum. The tail caps are laser engraved "www.surefire.com". The smaller one just has a window over the LED and a single mode but the larger has a window (possibly glass), a removable bezel that allows the aspheric lens to come out (lens appears to be plastic), and two modes. Both use 2 x CR123s

Here is one of the head lamps. These do not actually say Surefire anywhere on them, the light just has "PROTOTYPE" laser engraved on the top and bottom. Interestingly I did locate this eBay listing (linked below images) and you can see that it is the exact same prototype head lamp however these are laser engraved with Surefire.
aT0gtU.jpg

QLMVcX.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Surefire-H...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or info and thanks in advance!

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello and welcome to CPF

Your post above has been approved, but please note that direct links to outside auctions are discouraged.

In most cases, those are removed by staff, especially from new members' posts (for probably obvious reasons)

An exception has been made in this case, as that auction is over, and your link is for reference purposes.

Please also be aware that "price fishing" is not allowed here (no request or discussion of "current market value" please)

Thank you for your interesting post, I would guess that the flashlights may perhaps be G2L-FYL prototypes.

Last edited:

RandomITGuy

Newly Enlightened
Fair enough, I will avoid posting links like that in the future. I do appreciate allowing it though as that is the only reference to the head lamp I was able to track down. I did some more searching after you mentioned the G2L and found the G2L Fire Rescue model...they certainly match up. Haven't seen one that quite matches the larger one but I'll keep looking. Definitely on the right track.

Thanks again!

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, that was a specific variant of the G2L, called the G2L-FYL.

I could not immediately recall the item code off-hand, but had since added it to my post above.

There may be others here with more specific knowledge of these, but many or most of the SureFire experts and collectors have not been as visible on CPF lately :eek:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep they are. I have a couple of the three cell versions. I sold the LED heads years ago, as they flicker when the batteries get weak. I can't remember if the two cell were the same way. Love the neon yellow bodies and type III black clicky switches though. They came with filters also. I'm planning on going incan with them someday as they are still in box.

I had always wished they had made G2's and G3's in neon colors. I guess this is as close as we will ever get! Those pictured look more like standard yellow though.

RandomITGuy

Newly Enlightened
Awesome, appreciate the help guys. Since you put me on the right track I looked at the product catalogs in the Surefire sticky from 2009 - 2013. Small one definitely appears to be a G2L-FYL; there doesn't seem to be enough to differentiate it from a production model on cosmetics alone. The larger one would appear to be similar to the G2D-FYL, however the head is of a completely different design and their is only a high and low mode on mine vs. the advertised 3 modes on the production model. I can only assume this is not a production light barring a more expert opinion. All in all a pretty generous gift from the Surefire guy and if ever happens to see this I'll say "Thank you" again.

As to the flickering from low batteries on these I can't comment; I can say I haven't noticed but I've also not used them very often.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
VP of product design, aye? Sounds like one of PK's minions at the time……wait a second, wasn't PK vp of product design?

I wonder if he was in that Radio Shack secretly checking up on the status of his Icon line……

He left SureFire in 2013 if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

RandomITGuy

Newly Enlightened
I can't say I know much of anything about Surefire as a company or their history. Our store didn't sell any Surefire products either but this was also right before the complete collapse of "The Shack". I'm just going purely from memory but I think I remember the gentleman saying that he was in the area on business (south central PA) though I could only guess as to what that would have been.

nimdabew

Enlightened
Wow. I have been looking for a G2-FYL for years and I wish I had purchased one back when they were doing the G2 clearance sale with Surefire. There were a lot of G2's I wish I had bought. Nice snags!

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it bad for me to piggyback onto a post?....

I took possession of a few pieces the other day and I'm trying to find out exactly what I have here!

OnofXXC.jpg

5ew13KHl.jpg

F4NHgRIl.jpg

q03gGKGl.jpg

mKRTP2el.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
A lot of legos! Most of them body are from the firefighter lights way back when. Like a G2 or G3 but with reflector tape on them. Pretty cool

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of legos! Most of them body are from the firefighter lights way back when. Like a G2 or G3 but with reflector tape on them. Pretty cool

I'm hoping someone can tell me what the age/history of these so I can maybe put an approximate values are on some of these.

Edit: sent a few pics over to PK and had some PM convos on Facebook. He assures me that the unmarked M6 is 100% real!

The "tasklight" headlamp was a project that Skip Langon (sp) was working on with John Matthews for firefighter specific products. There were about 100 of these made but apparently the project was scrapped before they made it to market.

2nd edit...add pics of M6

ne4VZ07l.jpg

D3tnelLl.jpg

Last edited:

cwm1150

Newly Enlightened
Very interesting surefires, I did not know about them until I saw this post:D