HDS High Noon vs Malkoff Bodyguard CR123 Batt

dorikinhajime

Newly Enlightened
For Everyday carry HDS High Noon. Mainly because of this particular tint is pleasant and throwy.

The Malkoff seems to be specialized for security or bodyguards. It puts out a blinding amount of light for a brief period. Thats repeatable many times all you need to do is cycle the light.

I am not in any security or Law enforcement position. So I would stick a MDC head on the Bodyguard body with a Low-medium- High head and you have a serious HDS contender in my opinion.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was always attracted to Malkoff because I like to support USA individuals and Companies. HDS is preferred for me mostly because of the fantastic proprietary technology packed into the light.

Although, I do have my eye on the Hound Dog and Super Hound Dog.

Last edited:

dorikinhajime

Newly Enlightened
I wish I could afford to buy several HDS to spread around in cars and go bags. I ended up with Malkoff in all my secondary locations like emergency back packs and cars. HDS is always in my pocket but I can't afford HDS just to sprinkle around like I did with Malkoff Flashlights.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I wish I could afford to buy several HDS to spread around in cars and go bags. I ended up with Malkoff in all my secondary locations like emergency back packs and cars. HDS is always in my pocket but I can't afford HDS just to sprinkle around like I did with Malkoff Flashlights.

For quite a long run, retail pricing of HDS roughly kept pace with output increases due to emitter tech advancements, at roughly about ~ $1 / lumen (max output)

What I mean is when the HDS (Ra) 100 was new, it cost ~ $99 IIRC, the HDS 120 ~ $125, the HDS 170 ~ $159, etc, etc.

I tended to pick up prior versions secondhand (back when CPFMP was around), at typically ~ 25% - 35% less, after each upgraded release.

For me, even 100 lumen output is just fine, and I now have an assortment of plenty of older models for not much net cost difference than my Malkoffs.

That system probably wouldn't work now though, because most of the vintage stock is not trading so commonly.

I appreciate having both HDS and Malkoffs very much, but use them each in rather different settings.