IMR batteries?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I've been running some IMR batteries for my 18650 lights (except for those that came with their own cells) that I picked up on Amazon a little while back. I really prefer the safer chemistry of IMR cells, in fact I rather prefer to avoid li-ion flashlight batteries as much as possible. Yes they do have significantly better performance but I just don't like the risk of a bad cell going poof. I just don't trust all these online retailers to supply good cells, not to mention all the Chinese made chargers. Am I being foolish and paranoid? After all, pretty much all of my lights run either AAA or AA nimh LSD cells with the exception of a Malkoff M361W/nichia, a Zebralight and a Armytek. What am I giving up by going with IMR cells? What are good brands these days?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the advantages of IMR cells. They don't have a protection circuit, which makes them more reliable under certain conditions. They don't drop voltage under load as much, which is great if you run incans as much as I do, and they're usually cheaper than quality protected cells. This and LED's being so efficient, that the lower capacity doesn't really bother me. I also prefer running IMR's in HID lights as well as other high drain applications.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave up on protected cells a while back after a few failures of the protection circuits. Also I'd rather rely on my own instincts as far as overdiscatge goes, that or the LVP circuit in the light.

Keepower, Sony, Vapcell and AWT are a few names that I can think of. You will find that most cells are rebranded versions of cells made by manufactuirers like Sony.

If you have already discovered him, HKJ's reviews are invaluable. You can find them on his site http://lygte-info.dk/

Please don't go anywhere near Trustfire, Ultrafire and the like. Check HKJ for the reasons why.
P

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are the 4.35v variety, right?

Yes, you need them to be unprotected/naked and you need a charger that can charge them up to 3.8v/4.35v, although they work fine with protection and with a standard 3.7v/4.20v charger.

You just won't get the fullest capacity with that chemistry and be short about 100mAh-200mAh.

Chris

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of times, with some of my pocket rockets the capacity between protected lithium ion cells and IMR is non-existent. The small IMR's perform very well at high current draws compared to most small protected li-ions. When I'm pulling 2.0A or greater off a pair of IMR16340's, that's not something small protected cells can do without being in the dangerous zone.