Been out of the game, need advice.

Obsessed

Newly Enlightened
Hey gang, first time back after being away a long time. Back when I was last active the marketplace was a separate site to give you an idea of how long it's been. :faint:

I had had sold a light back then after falling on hard times. It was a 6P-GM and I had a Nailbender 219b 4500k dropin. I'd love to recreate that light, but wanted to get opinions if anything is better now. I loved the rosy tint that light had. I also know that there used to be boring services for the 6P but the site looks so different now.

I figure I can put up a WTB for the GM and may get lucky, but does anybody around here make custom drop ins? If so is the 219b 4500k a relic of good days gone by or are those, or something similar still available?

Thanks!

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome back! The 219b actually is still considered the best in terms of tint and color rendering. However, the LeD is increasingly harder to source since Nichia doesn't make them anymore. There's the 219c, sst-20 and xpl-hi. Those are pretty much the go to LEDs these days for a handheld edc. As for P60, not too many custom makers for those anymore. Though Malkoff still makes dropins along with edcplus and sportac.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Sky Lumen P60vn has lots of options.

Absolute best emitters I've seen these days are Optisolis, but those are still a little difficult to source.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nailbender still makes drop ins, you can find them at customlites.com.
He does an all copper 219b Triple and a 219c Single. He may even make you up a 219b single if you ask nicely.
!6650s have come on in the last few years, so boring 6Ps has become less popular.
People seem to value the robustness of the unbored light against the added runtime of the 18650.
You could get a regular 6P and use it while you wait for the GM to show up, or use my favourite - a Malkoff MD2, which should take the Nailbender without too much fuss.
P

Last edited:

Obsessed

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Does Nailbender still frequent this site or should I go through Customlites to contact him? I'm still turned around from the way this site used to be organized (CPF Marketplace).

Also, what's the go-to 16650 in that case? I've got a ton of 18650s which is why I asked about boring, but I'd not be against trying a 16650. AW seemed to be the go to back in the day, but I don't even see them mentioned anymore.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My local supplier, Ecolux, does a Sanyo UR16650ZTA and a Keepower Prtoected one.
I would imagine most are rewrapped Sanyos.
Dunno about Nailbender on here, no idea.

Oh, Oveready do a nice P60 host too.
P

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Does Nailbender still frequent this site or should I go through Customlites to contact him? I'm still turned around from the way this site used to be organized (CPF Marketplace).

Also, what's the go-to 16650 in that case? I've got a ton of 18650s which is why I asked about boring, but I'd not be against trying a 16650. AW seemed to be the go to back in the day, but I don't even see them mentioned anymore.

I have not seen Nailbender on here in a looooong time.

Obsessed

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tip - I went ahead and put in a request on the customlites website.

Also read about a new(ish?) LED, the Nichia Optisolis. Are these used in any flashlights? What are the thoughts on it? These seem to be very very high CRI, and very neutral in tint (they are offered in 4000k and 5000k).

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... Also read about a new(ish?) LED, the Nichia Optisolis. Are these used in any flashlights? What are the thoughts on it? These seem to be very very high CRI, and very neutral in tint (they are offered in 4000k and 5000k).

I have two Jetusolis, one in 4000K and another in 5000K. The 4000K version has the best "artificial" light quality I have yet found.

They are a relatively low output emitter however (can't be driven too hard) and their asymmetry requires diffusion to create a decent beamshape.

Obsessed

Newly Enlightened
I have two Jetusolis, one in 4000K and another in 5000K. The 4000K version has the best "artificial" light quality I have yet found.

They are a relatively low output emitter however (can't be driven too hard) and their asymmetry requires diffusion to create a decent beamshape.

Good info! Are you aware of anyone that makes this in a P60 drop in?