Have you Malkoff'd your Maglite (yet)?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yeah, it's cheaper to go to Sprawl Mart or Lowes Depot and grab a modern Maglite and all that blah, blah,blah. Yet removing the factory incan guts and installing a precision made drop in yourself, well there's just something 😎 about that. Then when night falls and you take a jaunt to some nearby woods, aim your old faithful into a 100 foot (33m) high tree top and two eyes squint as if to say "turn out that **** light!!" a smile comes across your face and you think "my gosh, to think 60 lumens used to be all we had back in the day".

And you can get the super deluxe model for an even brighter photon thrower. Yeah, yeah, yeah, what about different tints? Like the old Model A you can get any tint you want as long as you want bright white. A Malkoff in an old 2C/D, or 3 to 6 cell puts new life in an old idea like turbo to a 1967 Camaro.

Best part…… no more :poof: :twothumbs

A2-A05-CF8-0831-43-D7-B3-A3-7-CFBA463-CF94.jpg

Classic 3D krypton is now a modern marvel.

A61-F8-B25-24-DD-43-FD-9-CB9-C2-C0-FB0-DC18-A.jpg

Aint she purdy?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You know I haven't got a Malkoff Dropin for any of my mags. Truth is the new mags have gotten so much better I'm actually happy with them. That doesn't make me a bad person does it😁

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a hagcharger drop in with this awesome multi-faceted reflector. It was the envy of the department and I sold it right after I retired, thinking I'd never need a flashlight again. Of all the lights I sold, that's the one i regret the most

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i bought p7 drop in from malakoff many years ago, it failed soon after i bought it. i spoke to gene on the phone and he was ready to replace it, but i repurposed the heatsink for something else, i carefully removed led, drilled thru the driver, and when i tried to use same led again turns out the led failed, not the driver circuit. wish i checked the led first before destroying the driver, but i ended up using heatsink, in short 1 18650 C mag, which still works many years later, and it is a DD. old p7s were higher voltage, p7 could easily take fully charged cell with no drivers or resistors, so it is just right for a 18650.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mag drop in was my second order from Malkoff, I used it as my backup ambulance light. Now it's my long running "D" cell light with an awesome beam profile for SHTF.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Real question is...are you guys still using c/d cells or have you converted to something else?

I have an old 3d mag but it's been resting in a drawer (casket) for yrs. Not sure I'd ever do the upgrade, i might be inclined to just buy a new version mag on sale.

There is good to both routes

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not yet, this is my sad collection. I think there's a couple of 3Ds stuck down a chiminey in this house.
The cost of the drop ins, plus the cost of the cells puts me off I'm afraid.
Maybe when I'm rich and famous.
mags.jpg

P

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Mag drop in was my second order from Malkoff, I used it as my backup ambulance light. Now it's my long running "D" cell light with an awesome beam profile for SHTF.

I ordered one for a C light but they sent a D size. Instead of going in a 4C it went into a 3D that already had a better lens so it just worked out I suppose. It sets all camoflauged in my California cop light collection amongst a few original equipment numbers.

05-A3-AA9-B-C737-40-F6-AA02-B4-EA3-C684-C26.jpg

And the fuel is ordinary Rayovac alkalines.

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not yet, this is my sad collection. I think there's a couple of 3Ds stuck down a chiminey in this house.
The cost of the drop ins, plus the cost of the cells puts me off I'm afraid.
Maybe when I'm rich and famous.

P

I got mine a while ago, I was upgrading my backup maglight (to a surefire G2L.) I didn't have any rechargable batteries so to buy a hounddog or wildcat plus batteries and a charger (pila was the recommended one) was a huge jump for me. I went with the drop in and had a bunch of D cells from my ambulance agency that I was able to use. So the throw/spill and runtime was the most that I had at the time. Now it mostly sits as a backup.

I think it still has its place for ppl who don't have rechargeable batteries and charger.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not. Instead of increasing the output of my 4D maglite, I went the other direction and focused on increasing the run-time by dropping a low powered LED bulb in it.

I can hand it to anybody and know that they'll starve to death before the batteries die. Hopefully it won't come to that...

--flatline

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has Gene always made single output dropins for Maglites? If he made a drop-in that had multiple modes I would be all over it.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff has upgraded the led in the 3-6 cell variants to a Luminus SST-20. Output is up by about 100 lumens to 425.
The 2c/2d are still XP-G2 at the moment (270 lumens).
Not sure when they changed them but I think it's fairly recent.

Dang, he could've hit it out of the park with a 95 cri but went with cool white instead. Too bad.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I would really like a Malkoff programmable drop in, like some of the new Maglites have, but I would prefer an option where the first click was a Med-Low, second click Low/Super Low, and third click high. Maybe other different options depending on what each person likes. I think Maglite has four, but none start in a lower mode. And yes high CRI would be awesome.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would really like a Malkoff programmable drop in, like some of the new Maglites have, but I would prefer an option where the first click was a Med-Low, second click Low/Super Low, and third click high. Maybe other different options depending on what each person likes. I think Maglite has four, but none start in a lower mode. And yes high CRI would be awesome.

I enjoy a MLH mode order about as much as I enjoy LMH. A MLH ordered M361 with a LLLL middle mode would be pretty cool! Not sure if a programmable driver is very malkoff-like; just kinda feels wrong to me!