Surefire Stiletto disassembled

Mark2

Enlightened
My Stiletto arrived DOA (Doomed on Arrival), it worked but did not charge. Got about 1 hour of play time :duh2:. Anyway, here's what's on the inside:
stiletto1.jpg

parametrek

Enlightened
Thank you for posting this. It is actually the most informative thing published about the light and the 1st mention I've seen of the exact battery capacity. I will be linking to your work :)

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Appreciate the post. I've had the Stilleto since they came out...use it every night and love the thing. Great to see whats inside though!

Actually been waiting for the new metal Stilleto to be released.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, only 950mAh so about equivalent to the best 14500s today?

650 lumens for 1.75 hours but 250 lumens for 2 hours, sounds like a very aggressive stepdown there.

To the OP: were you able to get it to charge?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Stiletto arrived DOA (Doomed on Arrival), it worked but did not charge. Got about 1 hour of play time :duh2:. Anyway, here's what's on the inside:
stiletto1.jpg

I'm not sure I would WANT to charge that cell. Looks damaged to me.

Mark2

Enlightened
interesting "teeth" marks on the battery, is it from the top cover or, if there are no protruding elements on the top cover, was it driven there by brute force?

I am responsible for the marks, there's always the risk of damage when disassembling a new type of light for the first time. The next Stiletto I can disassemble without leaving the marks. The battery is still working, as is the light.

Mark2

Enlightened
Appreciate the post. I've had the Stilleto since they came out...use it every night and love the thing. Great to see whats inside though!

Actually been waiting for the new metal Stilleto to be released.

Yes, I like it too, have another one on the way, but waterproofing is a concern. The seal on the head is stiff, low quality rubber, and the USB port is pretty much one big hole in the light. Properly seating the flap AND its anchor (another hole in the body) is paramount. However, unlike the Guardian, this light can be dried easily. Just remove the head (2 screws) and put the light in a dry place: done.

Just like the Sidekick, the Stiletto is a great EDC light for "normal" days. For the hard stuff, there are other lights, both from Surefire and others.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I like it too, have another one on the way, but waterproofing is a concern. The seal on the head is stiff, low quality rubber, and the USB port is pretty much one big hole in the light. Properly seating the flap AND its anchor (another hole in the body) is paramount. However, unlike the Guardian, this light can be dried easily. Just remove the head (2 screws) and put the light in a dry place: done.

Just like the Sidekick, the Stiletto is a great EDC light for "normal" days. For the hard stuff, there are other lights, both from Surefire and others.

Well said!

dchang0

Newly Enlightened
Mark2:

Could you measure the dimensions of the battery? It might be possible to source a generic 3.7V 950mAh battery elsewhere.
From what I can tell, this is a narrower battery than typical 3.7V 950mAh batteries easily found online. Those tend to be more square.

Also, if you can see, are the battery wires soldered directly to the PCB or connected via a plastic connector?

Thanks very much!

Flashlike

Enlightened
I am responsible for the marks, there's always the risk of damage when disassembling a new type of light for the first time. The next Stiletto I can disassemble without leaving the marks. The battery is still working, as is the light.

Mark2 -- What is the trick to disassembling the Stiletto without damaging the battery? I sent you a PM. :thanks:

Flashlike

Enlightened
Bumping this back to the top. So no one else (other than Mark2 has disassembled the Surefire Stiletto?
Yes -- I know that it voids the warranty. I never received a reply to the PM I sent to Mark2.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Missed this thread the first time around. That's a fascinating look inside. Now I know what the guts of mine look like.