Pic heavy!!! Review Lumintop FW3a - In a Layman's viewpoint

jjp888

Newly Enlightened
  1. Hi all just wanted to share my experience with the new Lumintop Fw3a.
k8aJzPH.jpg

Actually before getting this light I was very skeptical about its highly complex user interface, unprotected battery,tube in tube design and an unconventional electronic tail switch.
On opening the flashlight box from Lumintop, the first thing I saw was " don't disassemble the tail".

SD3LCXF.jpg

It's recommending to insert the battery from only the head.So I imagined that there might be many tiny parts in the tailcap that ,if I unscrewed will jump out , making this light impossible to assemble again.So I carefully inserted an un protected cell from the head
( which was really easy, since the threads on the head portion are really smooth to unscrew).
I was very impatient and wanted to turn on my flashlight to see the beam and tint quality,that I didn't even go through the instructions manual.
I was familiar with the ramping interface

( but this was a much more complicated Anduril - which I haven't had the slightest clue!), so I went ahead and turned the light on.Changing modes, access to low,turbo etc were all same as I had with other ramping lights.
So I kind of started playing with it, turning it on and off, and I somehow went into the so called muggle mode!.( which happens if we press the e switch 6 times! from off).I didn't notice it intially, but then I realized I cannot access the moonlight or the turbo anymore.I got worried and took off the head and tightened again hoping to reset the light ,still the same.so I thought some thing might have happened to the e switch, and I took the chance and opened the tail switch.
To my surprise the tail switch was not as complicated as I guessed , it had only three parts, a metal switch , a rubber boot with a tiny tip in the centre and the board with the e switch.I found nothing wrong and easily put everything back.But still no luck the same issue, no moonlight or turbo.
So finally ,I had to resort to the big instructions manual.
At first glance I didn't really understand the Anduril UI flow chart.I was getting really frustrated about all the double clicks and triple clicks.But I went through it again and again and slowly ,all came into picture and I understood that I accidentally went into the muggle mode,which caused the light to behave like this.
After spending around 1 hr!, I fully understood all the different modes and features of this wonderful UI.The more time I spent , everything became lesser and lesser complicated and finally I started to enjoy the flashlight as it was meant to be!.
I must say this ,that after going through all the different options , I am in really in love with this UI and flashlight.It's a very engaging user interface and have never got bored by using this light.
I tried all the different options and finalized on the smooth ramping setup with low set to moon light and high set to around 500 lumens.It really covers all my edc uses, and for the fun part there is always turbo accessible at a double click away!

So ,talking about my light its a normal gray anodized one.
su525a4.jpg

tUWa3t0.jpg

eQkN3K5.jpg

kuPyxLN.jpg

xOuvemi.jpg

IaVTOTS.jpg

VrzZHDP.jpg

e7eNbyf.jpg

I chose the sst20 NW option.
YCY1PnE.jpg

I use a samsung 30 Q unprotected cell.Iam very happy about the flashlight performance so far.
hXV7u3G.jpg

Here I will also add all the manufacturer specs
j9DTrUK.jpg

Review !
The light comes in a good card board box from Lumintop as always.
CgZ9kDh.jpg

LkfRomm.jpg

RTjCZtH.jpg

Pocket clip was pre assembled .Also included ,extra set of rings the along with a large instruction manual

6sqjM9d.jpg

I took apart the flashlight ,to know more about it's construction
BeNLPxg.jpg

The driver board!
k8s0tMI.jpg

TiQQZFB.jpg

YNZyeeG.jpg

The (not so complex) tail switch!
TWH6iGB.jpg

Rx07AIZ.jpg

ykKowTO.jpg

• Square cut thread for the head portion
GpGaMgD.jpg

The tailcap thread is triangular type.
ZkumbjF.jpg

Size comparison with Lumintop edc05c(14500) flashlight.Notice how compact the Fw3a is!
ipz5NPC.jpg

4xnlBcn.jpg

eCJtHvL.jpg

I wanted to test how hot the turbo can run, I pushed the flashlight to turbo whenever the flashlight was trying to lower the output, the temperature at head reached over 80°c!.I stopped pushing the light right there,as I didn't want to take any chances with the unprotected battery.I strongly suggest everyone to use the turbo for only 10 sec at a time, since this gets hot extremely fast at turbo.And the thermal regulation ,takes some time to come into play.
qVSNcMJ.jpg

The flashlight was very hot to touch .I somehow opened the light, as I needed to check how hot the battery might be.And as I expected it too was very hot at around 60°c.
1zHWdfJ.jpg

So my overall experience ,comes to these pointers.
Pros
1.Simplistic but beautiful design.
2.Light weighted and very compact edc with a perfectly placed on/off switch.
3.Extremely flexible and versatile user interface, if not the best I have used so far.
4.Good anodization and built quality.
5.Properly lubricated joints.
6.Good beam profile for edc use.
7.Can properly tail stand.
8.Sturdy pocket clip design.
9.Different thread pattern for head and tail sections.
10. Easily accessible battery voltage indicator feature.

Cons- actually suggestions to make it the best
1.No onboard rechargeability, I know literally there is no more space inside the flaslight as its very compact, but if there can be an onboard recharching setup, I think adding a few millimeters won't hurt IMO.
2.Tailcap switch is definitely the weak spot on this light, its not a robust one though functions flawlessly, if left as it is and not opened.
3.The E - switch is not recessed enough to avoid accidental turning on .
4.The temperature regulation ,is not very sensitive,even after calibration and limit set, it can easily go above the limit at higher modes.May be its designed this way to prolong turbo and high .

U I -
I'll better post the manufactures instructions to avoid more complication.

vXrUvj9.jpg

Though I would like to point out , how to set your lowest and highest brightness setting in the smooth ramping mode.It took some time for me to completely understand.Ill try to explain it in my own way.

The light output is separated into 150 different levels .(150 levels from moon light to turbo)
0 (starting point),1(moon light)---------------------- ..... ---150(turbo) 151(end point)

To configure this -
1.First turn on your light
2. Click ,Click,Click,Click
Click the tail switch 4 times to enter the ramp settings .The flashlight blinks 1 time to confirm this.(ie 1 blink = 1st option in the menu)
3.After the 1 blink ,you can see the light flashes at a very fast pace , this is the place to set what your lowest output should be.
3.Click once to make moonlight 1 lumen your lowest setting,each click increases the lowest output from 0th level(starting point) , if you want to increase your lowest output, let say to the 10 th level (~20 lumen), click the tail cap switch 10 times without break.
after the 10 click , wait 4 sec to fix this, Then flashlight flashes twice to denote the 2nd option in the menu(for setting your high output level).
Again the flashlight flashes at rapid pace this is where you select your highest output in ramping mode.Here each clicks takes your 1 level down from the top ie 151( end point).So inorder to make turbo 150 as your highest level click once. To reduce your high setting to a even lesser value level 120, click 31 (151-120=31) times without pause.
after clicking wait for 4 sec for this setting to be fixed.The flashlight goes to steady on to confirm this

Example-1st scenario in smooth ramping mode.
If you want your flashlight to ramp smoothly between moonlight 1 lumen(1st level) and high around 500 lumen(100th level) .Do the following steps(ensure that light is in smooth ramping mode -To toggle between smooth and stepped ramping click three times when the light is on. one fast blink confirms this.)
1 .turn onthe light , and click 4 times( we reached configuration setting)
2.Then the flashlight blinks once to denote the 1st option in the menu, ie to set low mode.As the flashlight starts flashing fast, press the tail switch 1 time,.1 click denotes moon light, ie 1 step up from starting point 0th level.
3 Wait 4 sec to fix this.Then the flashlight flashes twice to denote the second option in the menu(ie to select high mode)
As the flashlight starts flashing fast the second time,press the switch 51 times , ie 51 th level down from endpoint 151 to reach 100th level, which is approx 500 lumen.
4 then wait for 4 sec to fix this ,the FLASHLIGHT then goes to steady mode to confirm exit from menu.

2nd scenario - [current setting low at 1 lumen (1st level),high at 500]
we have to change only high, from 500lumen (100th) to 760 lumen (130th) level
1.turn on the light , and click 4 times( we reached configuration setting)
2.Light blinks once(ie first option in menu)
As the flashlight start flashing fast,DONOT press anything as we don't want to change low setting, just wait for 4 sec without pressing anything, the flashlight skips to the high mode selection menu +flashlight flashes twice to confirm this).
3.As the flashlight starts flashing fast the second time( now we are in high mode selection menu),press the switch 21 times , ie 21 th level down from endpoint 151 to reach 130th level, approx 760 lumen.
4.wait for 4 sec to fix this . Flashlight goes to steady on (meaning the menu is exited).

3rd scenario -[current setting low at 1 lumen (1st level),high at 500(100th level)]
We have to change low from 1 lumen(1st level) to ~20 lumen(10th level)

1.Turn on the light , and click 4 times( we reached ramp configuration setting)
2.Flashlight blinks once to denote ,we entered the first otion(ie lo mode setting)As the flashlight start flashing fast, press the tail switch 10 times,.10 click denotes 10 steps up from starting point level zero,ie 10 th level.

3 Wait 4 sec to fix this.Then the flashlight flashes twice to denote second option in meu(ie high mode).
As the flashlight start flashing fast the second time ,DONOT press anything as we don't want to change the high setting, just wait for 4 sec without pressing anything, the flashlight skips the high mode selection menu
4.Flashligh goes into steady mode(confirming exit from the ramp configuration).

In the case of stepped ramping,( which I don't personally like), there is an additional option to select the number of steps between your set lowest and highest output.

Ensure that the light is in stepped ramping mode(click thrice when light on to toggle between smmoth/stepped ramping)
Setting low and high is similar to the smooth ramping, but we have an additional option to set the number of steps between low and high.
After setting low and high the flashlight goes to the third menu( flashlight flashes 3 time to denote this menu).Here the no of clicks sets the number of steps you need between low and high, for example if you need 5 equally spaced
mode from 1 lumen to 500 lumen press 5 times, wait for 4 sec to confirm this.

example-[current setting low at 1 lumen (1st level),high at 500(100th level)]
scenario -you need 10 steps between low and high
1.Turn on the light , and click 4 times( we reached ramp configuration setting)
2.Flashlight blink once to denote first option in menu.As the flashlight starts flashing fast( now we are in low mode selection menu),Donot press anything as we don't want to change low setting, just wait for 4 sec without pressing anything, the flashlight skips to the high mode selection menu .flashlight flashes twice to confirm this).
As the flashlight starts flashing fast the second time ( now we are in high mode selection menu),Donot press anything as we don't want to change the high setting, just wait for 4 sec without pressing anything, the flashlight skips to the step number selection menu (flashlight flashes thrice to confirm this).
4As the flashlight starts flashing fast the third time ( now we are in the step number selection menu),click the switch 10 times, wait for 4 sec to fix this.
5 Flashlight goes to steady on(ie we have exited from the menu),now you have 10 steps(10 different lumen settings between high and low)

I hope I didn't confuse more, as I know its really time consuming affair to learn.But I recommend you to patiently spent some time and gradually you will also get the hang of it.Other options and setting, can be easily understood from from the manual ,so I have skipped those.
Sop kindly share what you guys have experienced while learning to use this light and also any tips ,you want to share.

One funny thing that I noticed while playing with the light- Actually in Electronic lock out mode (4 clicks from off to access), the light should work in only low mode(1 lumen in my case ).But if I quickly double click and hold in lockout mode I can get a higher output somewhere around.50 lumens!.
Has anyone else have the same hidden feature???

Some beamshots!
The beam is a floody one with a a huge hot spot. It's wall of bright light
htWEl52.jpg

View from a 3 story building, ~45 feet tall
OhNPE4b.jpg

7Nxfhop.jpg

8T3UCZC.jpg

Last edited:

boo5ted

Enlightened
One funny thing that I noticed while playing with the light- Actually in Electronic lock out mode (4 clicks from off to access), the light should work in only low mode(1 lumen in my case ).But if I quickly double click and hold in lockout mode I can get a higher output somewhere around.50 lumens!.

I read on another forum that Toykeeper stated that's a feature of version 2 of Anduril, both my FW3A and FW3T have the same feature. I really like it because the light is always locked out, so I have two levels of light without actually turning the light on.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I've read DS, it looks like overheating and a delayed stepdown.
I'd have to program out the high modes for a consistent beam.
But that's just me.
P

idleprocess

Flashaholic
1.No onboard rechargeability, I know literally there is no more space inside the flaslight as its very compact, but if there can be an onboard recharching setup, I think adding a few millimeters won't hurt IMO.

I disagree. As an enthusiast's light, this is not a feature one would expect to see:
  • If you're comfortable with bare high-current li-ion cells, odds are you own at least one decent standalone li-ion charger and several sets of cells thus don't need to tie up the light charging spent cells
  • Internal USB charging munches up appreciable volume, adds nontrivial cost and complexity for a function that doesn't work as well as a dedicated charger, requires an odd-shaped penetration in the body of the light, and hurts the dust/water intrusion resistance of the light

2.Tailcap switch is definitely the weak spot on this light, its not a robust one though functions flawlessly, if left as it is and not opened.
Subsequent revisions of the light feature a retaining ring for the switch - my first edition didn't while the second one I purchased early this month does.

3.The E - switch is not recessed enough to avoid accidental turning on .
That's what lockouts are for - especially when you're carrying a light capable of 35+ watts of power dissipation. Use the lockout!

If I click-click-hold, My newer FW3A goes into a super-dim output so long as I hold the switch; my first edition does not.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been hearing this model name come up on the board but didn't really know what it was until this review. Thank you!

daffy

Enlightened
Put a 10507 optic on it for a bit narrower hotspot and a little more throw/candela

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine did that this morning (4 click lock out with 50 lumen momentary mode) and I couldn't unlock it. Had to do a factory reset (while holding button down unscrew tailcap) and everything was back to normal.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered one of these and should have it tomorrow. I am really looking forward to it. but have a few questions. The original problem with the tail cap seemed strange as most people would use it to replace the battery. It appeared to be a simple fix, so I kind of wonder what went through the mind of the designer. Next, as far as 18650 batteries go, wouldn't most want to use a protected cell? All they apparently had to do was make the light a few mm's longer which would have made no difference in its weight or portability. I have a lot of unprotected batteries that I got from laptop battery packs, so I will have more than enough, but I also find this an odd design. I will guess that making an extension ring for this light will not work. Another concern would be the switch's longevity. I like the ramping feature and may keep mine as it is as long as it is smooth and not too sensitive. I will give everybody my initial thoughts once I get it tomorrow!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered one of these and should have it tomorrow. I am really looking forward to it. but have a few questions. The original problem with the tail cap seemed strange as most people would use it to replace the battery. It appeared to be a simple fix, so I kind of wonder what went through the mind of the designer.

The light was designed by the mod community, so it is meant to be easily modded. So, it's not all sealed up like a more traditional light is.

Next, as far as 18650 batteries go, wouldn't most want to use a protected cell?

Nope. It has low-voltage-protection. Why would you want to use a protected cell? On max, it would probably trip the protection circuit anyway.

Another concern would be the switch's longevity.

I'm not sure there's any concern about the longevity, as long as it works properly when you get it and you don't fiddle with it. You can always use some loctite on the tail threads if you're worried you might accidentally unscrew it.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been playing with this light now for a few days and for the most part, I really like it! The UI is pretty intimidating, but I am actually happy with the default configuration out of the box. I like the electronic lock out, and have also found if I loosen the head, that also keeps the light from coming on accidently. The smooth ramping is nice, and is not too fast. Turbo mode access is quick and easy, although I am not sure it is 2800 lumens. It does not seem like a real big jump over high but maybe this is due to my batteries not being high drain. Maybe somebody can chime in and give me a little info on that! I am going to take it outside over the weekend and put it though more tests. Thanks for the great review by the way!!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turbo mode access is quick and easy, although I am not sure it is 2800 lumens. It does not seem like a real big jump over high but maybe this is due to my batteries not being high drain. Maybe somebody can chime in and give me a little info on that!

You should use a high-drain cell. The turbo should be quite a lot brighter than the normal ramp high (unless you fiddled with the ramp settings and changed the default to something brighter).

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should use a high-drain cell. The turbo should be quite a lot brighter than the normal ramp high (unless you fiddled with the ramp settings and changed the default to something brighter).

Thanks! My light is at its default settings and I like it that way. Going to dig through my 18650 cells and see what I have! :thumbsup:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question! While playing with my light this morn, I did something and now it ramps all the way to 2800 lumens, or that is what it seems it is doing. Either that, or the quick 2 tap on the switch is not doing anything. Is there a way to reset the light back to its defaults? Thanks!

pc_light

Enlightened
Quick question! While playing with my light this morn, I did something and now it ramps all the way to 2800 lumens, or that is what it seems it is doing. Either that, or the quick 2 tap on the switch is not doing anything. Is there a way to reset the light back to its defaults? Thanks!
Depending on FW version, this should work -
Factory Reset:
(1) Loosen Tailcap (or head if easier),
(2) Hold Button, and
(3) while holding Tighten Tailcap (or head), and continue holding for 3-sec.
or
Alternatively 13H (13-clicks and hold on 13th until blinks reset).

If your version of the FW/UI does not have the Reset feature, then you can also perform a reconfigure of the Ceiling Max level:
(1) Turn light On,
(2) Click 4x to enter Ramp Config menu.
(3) Light will Blink once, then stutter (this is the Floor or Lowest end setting), since you do not want/need to reconfigure this setting, wait a few seconds until it stops stuttering and
(4) When it Blinks twice and stutters again, Click 20x to lower Ceiling to factory default (each click lowers the Ceiling an increment from the Max 150). Done.
(It might Blink 3X after the previous step, this would happen if you're in Stepped Ramping Mode (as opposed to smooth ramp mode), do nothing and allow it to time out, Done.)

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
And if those solutions don't work, the problem is probably a short between the inner tube and outer shell contact. Check the driver and and switch and make sure the boards are properly seated the the retaining rings are tight.