Fenix Outfitters        

Thread: Acebeam

Default Acebeam

Hi all.

So I got two sample lights from Acebeam. The W10 and the W30. The quality is good and inline with Fenix or other made in China brands. However these lights are insanely focused. they are both more like laser beams rather than useful flashlights. There is no flood ambient useful light. Anyone else bought any Acebeam lights and seen the same thing?
    Sean - LA Police Gear - Your source for Police and Tactical Gear
    Make sure to check out our new Atlas Pants.
    Tactical Boots, Tactical Pants, and Duty Gear.

Flashaholic

Default Re: Acebeam

Those are both LEP lights, intended for just that kind of beam (long throw, no spill). Why they would send you those as typical examples of product is beyond me.

Drives me crazy when I see LEO (actors) using long throw, no-spill lights when searching a warehouse.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

I have both.

They look great on TV!
    Seems like a Surefire type of night..

This is exactly what they are made for. Instead of using LEDs, where the phosphor is bonded to the die (the LED die emits a blue light), they have the phosphor attached directly to a piece of metal (I assume), and they focus a blue laser on it to create a very intense point light source, similar to a short-arc HID. This is then directed out the front with a lens.

To achieve the same throw with a typical LED you need a huge reflector like the Acebeam K75 or Thrunite TN42.

It's the same kind technology that many auto makers are now using for adaptive headlights, like BMW Laserlight.

Ya. I don't know what these are good for except looking down a mine shaft.

Well Sir you clearly know a lot more about Flashlights than me. I also just got some sample from Spears Brand lights in China. That issue with their big T1 light. Quality looks fine but the bean is way to narrow.