Tekna Mono-Lith (and a 34 year-old CR123 battery)

konifans

Enlightened
uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

It uses Tekna 200 bulb or ordinary 222 bulb, single CR123A battery. According to the packaging box the light was made in 1985, and it comes with a Tekna CR123 battery which I believe it is a relabeled Panasonic CR123 made in Japan in 1985. The one in the box has not been used and interesting thing is that the battery still works! The voltage of the battery is about 3.4V. I can't believe the battery is 34 years old and it still works.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool lights!

I remember them from back in the day, they were the first lights to use these lithium batteries. The batteries might be CR 2/3A's which predated the similar CR123A which featured a PTC and came out in c.1987.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, where did you find that??? I have some ancient SF batteries that I have no doubt will work just fine. They expired about ten years ago. That assembly kind of looks like an old Surefire 6 plastic lamp assembly. What would you say the lumens are? Do you have an E1e/MN01 to compare it to?

konifans

Enlightened
Wow, where did you find that??? I have some ancient SF batteries that I have no doubt will work just fine. They expired about ten years ago. That assembly kind of looks like an old Surefire 6 plastic lamp assembly. What would you say the lumens are? Do you have an E1e/MN01 to compare it to?

I found these on Ebay. The light output is not comparable with Surefire E1E or 3P because it uses vintage midget flange bulb (about 0.2 to 0.3A current). I think it is just same as a Maglite 2AA. However it is waterproof to 2000ft according to the ads, which is much better than Surefire / Maglite.

Last edited:

konifans

Enlightened
Good score konifans.

Very early backup light by California cops before the SureFire was available. The CR123 version is tough to find anymore.

Yes the Mono-Lith is very rare.
Another similar CR123 Tekna is [FONT=&quot]Splash-Lite which is still for sale:
[/FONT]
http://www.tek-tite.com/proddetail.php?prod=TEKNA_SPLASH-LITE

The Mono-Lith can adjust focus of beam = just like a maglite, but Splash-Lite can't.
And the Mono-Lith is made in USA, and the Splash-Lite is made in China.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found these on Ebay. The light output is not comparable with Surefire E1E or 3P because it uses vintage midget flange bulb (about 0.2 to 0.3A current). I think it is just same as a Maglite 2AA. However it is waterproof to 2000ft according to the ads, which is much better than Surefire / Maglite.

I wouldn't count on that 2000 ft. According to a calculator http://www.calctool.org/CALC/other/games/depth_press the pressure would be about 900 PSI at 2000 ft!

Last edited: