If there could be only one Malkoff ?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ok this question gets asked a lot and if I'm honest I ask myself all the time. If I/you had to grab one Malkoff setup. Just one. In a emergency situation what's your pick.I realize emergency situations have a wide rage of needs but if you HAD to pick one setup what would yours be.No extra heads/spacers/or cells. Just one light and set of batteries.

Mine would be a bit boring but I think it would handle most any problem that I might face.
A MD3-hi/lo ring crenellated bezel a new 450 lumen M61 and 3 primaries. As is it would give me full power for over 2 hours. On low for days and the ability to run off of AA if I had to scavenge. This is a hard one.

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
Re: There can be only one.

Probably a 1AA MDC. No matter the situation I feel I would always be able to feed this light and topping off at a 100lms should be enough for most circumstances.

I do wish an updated version was released with either higher output or wider voltage range up to 3v though.

340pd

Newly Enlightened

The MD2 with M61 219BV2 and hi/lo switch that I carried on my just before dawn walk today.

scout24

Flashaholic

Using your scenario of an emergency situation, I'd pick my MD1 hi/low, Oveready Triad tailcap with an older M61L 219b. I've got a pile of rechargable cells that fit in it with several means to charge, and primaries. So it'll run on whatever will fit in it. Hi/low to conserve or be stealth if needed, tailstanding is a must for ceiling bounce, and the L 219b puts out enough light for a good percent of my real world uses. If the McClicky fails, I can stuff a ball of tinfoil in there and make a twisty out of it. HCRI is nice to ID fluids, check wounds, properly ID wire colors, etc. More output would be nice perhaps, but come with the costs of added battery consumption and being able to be seen from a further distance away. So, for me, if I were limited to one Malkoff light in an emergency, this would be it.

20190918_093127-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened

Emergency situation with only one set of batteries? M61NLLLL in a Surefire 9P... at 9V those run for days and days.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

I bet it does. My M61LLL V3 only pulls 106 ma at 9 volts.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Using your scenario of an emergency situation, I'd pick my MD1 hi/low, Oveready Triad tailcap with an older M61L 219b. I
I made one of those for Mrs Yeti's handbag.
Inevitably, it is no longer with us. I liked that light too.
Fortunately I took the Triad off before i gave it to her.
P

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

I made one of those for Mrs Yeti's handbag.
Inevitably, it is no longer with us.

Yes, I remember reading the MD1's obituary. Presumption of death and an exhaustive search ended in the burial of an empty casket.

This is why Mrs. Flame has a Maglite powered by eneloops.

One emergency light? M31LLL + VME + 1CR123 battery tube+ a stockpile of CR123's.

bignc

Enlightened
This is worse than when I have to think about "One-gun" scenarios (apologies to my foreign friends. Come on over, I have spares. :)

I LOVE the MD1 and 1.5 that I have even though they are in my Get home bag instead of daily used. I honestly think it would depend on what batteries.... Primaries only? 18650? Single Cell? Multiple? I mean in some of my bags I have charger options and lion/ nimhs. At home of course, I have a variety of battery and solar options.

BUT..... If I had to pick one light with no spacers, etc I got no idea. lol. Maybe an MD2 with my M61T? I love the 219b V2 also. And my NL and NLL and WL and WLL. And I like the 31 series that are the same.... Tough call! I guess If I knew I could recharge, probably the MD2 options. If primaries only- the MD1 or 1.5 depending on 123 or AA.... Or maybe if primaries, that's the MD3 with a 61 of some flavor.

Yikes and wow. I love/hate these threads.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MDC AA is the obvious choice for me. Probably my favorite all-around Malkoff light.

Honorable mention goes to the M61WLL. That module is a major workhorse for me.

--flatline

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Flamesuit on..... I don't like the multi mode MDC...... So there's one. Lol

I'm in the same boat, bought the orange and blue ones the day they came out and sold them because of PWM (it bothers me more than most). Since then I have become much more wary of picking up the next best thing right away.

Last edited:

bignc

Enlightened
I should probably say I don't like them FOR ME. I have actually bought an illumn AA for a graduation gift for a friend's son. But since my lights are for MY purposes, the MDC modes aren't my thing. :) I imagine I would go for an NL if I had to pick one. I LOVE the idea of lighting up the pasture (literally the back 40) but have to do that only ocassionally. I use NL/ NLL and WL/WLL daily around the house and yard....

bigfoot

Enlightened
If I had to grab only one Malkoff? Argh, tough choice. I'm going to continue being a fanboy for the Hound Dog 18650 that showed up recently. Really enjoying the fact that low runtimes are in the double-digits, but you still have access to retina-searing high if needed. Plus it'll tail-stand easily and light up a room.

In all honestly, the light I'd grab in a prolonged grid-down, massive quake, natural disaster, etc. situation probably wouldn't be a flashlight at all. I'd go for a headlamp; much better to have your hands free. (For disaster preps. I've tried to standardize on AAA, AA, and CR123 powered lights, electronics, and gadgets.)

Hmm, speaking of which, maybe we can convince Gene to make a headlamp... :popcorn:

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The group buy M91BN 5000k at 3-12v is looking like a contender with a MD body of preferred length and a Hi/lo... :)

I was going to pop in here and suggest that. I'm 7.5 hrs into a runtime test with 2 x AA lithium energizers and it's still going strong.