Bezel removal tools from darksucks and oveready

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I modded this bezel removal tool from darksucks.com to fit my RRT-01

it worked great until I spread it open too far
ykpwIow.jpg

I contacted darksucks to request a price for a single replacement and they sent me a link to order two new ones.

So I decided to order the tool from Oveready instead
hopefully it will be made of a more durable material.

The darksucks version is partly hollow, and though after a few emails they agreed to sell me just one, by then I had already ordered the solid ones from Oveready instead.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OR one looks much more durable, as everything from them is.
I call it "Yetmanproof".
I didn't know they had them back in stock, but you may have got the last one.
P

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like a strap wrench, but for very limited task,

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OR one looks much more durable, as everything from them is.
I call it "Yetmanproof".
I didn't know they had them back in stock, but you may have got the last one.
P

yes, OR took my money and the tool is now listed as out of stock
Im feeling special

The OR version does look more solid, and hopefully more "SliderProof"... lol

meanwhile, since strapwrenches did not work (they slipped), I resorted to the SliderTools for my recent mod to open the control ring on a V11r. Resistance was futile :)

pic is a link to my first impressions of the modded V11r

looks like a strap wrench, but for very limited task,

correct
in this case, strap wrenches failed but the SliderTool solved the problem

the reason I like the dedicated pinch tools is that Im working on multiple units of the same light

I was surprised that the strap wrenches did not work, they slipped instead of holding tight.. maybe its my technique....

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon can you send me photos closer up and better lighting if possible to email?

I have the ones from oveready and they are VERY good! Solid as well. Modded one of mine fir the HDs reflector

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OR tool is cut from a solid slab of nylon and is quite sturdy. It appears that the DS tool is 3D printed, which is generally not as strong especially if the infill is a low percent (what you're describing as being "hollow").

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Random Dan this makes sense. I m not familiar with the DS tools
The OR ones I think went up to $22 but I thought they were some sort of composite... very good quality and not abrasive at all

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
photos closer up and better lighting
JCm6uwn.png

The OR tool is cut from a solid slab of nylon and is quite sturdy. It appears that the DS tool is 3D printed, which is generally not as strong especially if the infill is a low percent (what you're describing as being "hollow").

all correct
I ordered the OR version

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
correct
in this case, strap wrenches failed but the SliderTool solved the problem

the reason I like the dedicated pinch tools is that Im working on multiple units of the same light

I was surprised that the strap wrenches did not work, they slipped instead of holding tight.. maybe its my technique....

or the strap is too thick and diameter of the object is too small, i also had problems with some 1\2 pipes with such strap wrenches,

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
or the strap is too thick and diameter of the object is too small, i also had problems with some 1\2 pipes with such strap wrenches,

you may be right
I tried repeatedly, even locked the straps into the slot so I would not fumble the tool
iTLoyFm.jpg

but the straps did not bite, they just spun.. even though Im pretty sure I set them up with the correct direction to unscrew
cihSzRC.jpg

I thought those straps were my ace in the hole, but when they failed, the SliderTool (Vise Grips) got the job done. Not elegant, not quick to setup, but effective.. I was kind of scared the vise grips would crush the tube of the V11r.. so I only increased tension gradually, until the light stopped slipping..

I do plan to use the Oveready bezel tool to replace the broken, hollow, 3d printed version from darksucksw, that I broke

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon straps have their uses but uses are limited. Plus if there's loctite it's not going to move with straps.
I buggered up a g2x pro trying to get the head off and not sure but with the pressure I used I don't know if the boss tools would have held up so I never tried. They are my HDs tools and Boss when I get one in

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, I will freely admit that I used the darksucks tool for something it was not intended for
Im sure they are fine for their intended use

the lights I used the tools on have smaller diameters, hence the leather pads to fit my RRT-01

I opened several RRT-01 with the darksucks tools, which only broke due to me opening them too far

the straps were a gift from a friend, I had hoped to give a glowing report of my success.. unfortunately that was not to be

choices are good
the important thing is not to give up, if a tool fails.. get another Peter Built.. as the truckers say.. LOL

so Im looking forward to the Oveready bezel tools, even though they are tapered for that body.. Im hoping to customize them to fit my RRT-01's, since I own several, and am planning to modify the LED, bezel, and control ring grease in a few of them. So I want a dedicated tool that is easy to install and remove.

as far as locktite.. resistance is futile.. I dont intend to let a little plastic glue get in my way
Im being coached by some very experienced modders, and have some great tools.. now I just need to learn to use them with proper skill and finesse, instead of breaking stuff, like the newbie that I am.. lol

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
So glad that you're getting into modifying lights Jon.
It's very satisfying, even when it goes wromg you can learn a lot.
I look forward to seeing your successes.
P

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
So glad that you're getting into modifying lights Jon.
It's very satisfying, even when it goes wromg you can learn a lot.
I look forward to seeing your successes.
P

agree on all accounts ;-)
my first reflow is in the middle, gracefully accepted by my daughter, as a gift
iCEJths.jpg

my second reflow on the right, it is my warm benchmark, I enjoy it on the nightstand, makes late night porcelain worship a golden opportunity to play with my flashlights...
Ges0Xmh.jpg
[/IMG]

here are the first two victims of my education in modding
I completely failed to kill the light on the left, despite my best attentions, including blasting it with a hot air station, while waiting for other tools to arrive..
aBWQLuJ.jpg

second from left is my third mod, ever.. Im giddy, it felt like it took forever, the better part of an afternoon, to get a simple board swap and control ring regreasing, sorted
pic links to the V11r mod to E21a

the two on the left are my mods, the other two are modded by modding gurus in Australia and Scotland.
gY0rM8B.jpg

very rewarding to be able to swap my own LEDs
it transforms a light I dont use into a worthy gift
which clears space for my next adventure :)
Ive done 3 lights so far, 10 more to go, to break even on my tooling costs.. lol

Ive enjoyed watching your mods too.. very inspiring for me, thank you for the encouragement :)

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
JCm6uwn.png

all correct
I ordered the OR version

that is a lousy 3d print job, layers are too thick, and looks like hot end temp was too low, infill has to be 0% so entire item is solid, not hollow, definitely a huge fail, on DS side, and it most likely printed using cheap PLA. seems like they wanted to print as fast as possible without a care on how it'll perform, thanks for posting that, now i have 0 desire to buy anything from them,

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
That DarkSucks tool looks like an absolute POS. If someone gave it to me for free the first thing I would do is throw it away.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
that is a lousy 3d print job, layers are too thick, and looks like hot end temp was too low, infill has to be 0% so entire item is solid, not hollow, definitely a huge fail, on DS side, and it most likely printed using cheap PLA. seems like they wanted to print as fast as possible without a care on how it'll perform, thanks for posting that, now i have 0 desire to buy anything from them,

I can't speak for the bezel removal tool, because I have never seen or used one, but I will totally vouch for the Prometheus brand as a whole, their lights are absolutely top notch excellent performers. Seriously excellent build quality. Same goes for accessories like the Kappa QR.

Stoneking

Enlightened
Much like everything else Oveready makes, their bezel removal tools are very well made!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
oops, my apologies, i said 0% infill, my mistake, it should be 100% for solid print,