Handheld light for children

GlitteringPrizes

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of small children that have gotten very interested in my flashlights, so I want to get them their own.

I'm looking for:
- low intensity, wide/flood beam so they can't blind themselves but see in very dark outdoor areas (no artificial lights)
- handheld
- impact resistant
- not super expensive

The streamlight propolymer xenon light is rated at 10 lumens on 2aa batteries. Is this a good light for them?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
This might sound a little off the wall, but look into the button cell lights. Several sites sell them for around a dollar or so each. Get one of those spring wrist lanyards so it stays with them and away you go. Low output, wide beam, and no big loss if they loose it. Of course if you think the probably of losing one is rather high, you might want to make a lanyard out of paracord instead - it's cheaper.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Wal Mart has a little 1x aaa light called essentials that puts out 3 lumens through a magnifier tip. Puts out what appears to be 20 or so lumens from a single battery. Shaped like an inkpen and costs about 3 bucks. A clicky on the end like a ball point pen too.

B3221-FD1-E248-4-A09-BA70-49-B8-DA8574-BB.jpg

Last edited:

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
My kids each have their own Xeno E03. Works great for them, low for reading books at night in bed, med/high for other tasks that require it. They have worked well so far and I'd recommend them along with Eneloops to feed them.

They also each have a Malkoff MD2/M61N waiting for them once they get a little older....