La Crosse battery 0v during charging, "It's dead Jim!"

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
First time this happened, I was charging a crap cell in a dumb charger with another battery. The other Rayovac battery had a 1.4v on it while the La Crosse cell didn't have anything! Not even a residual charge. Both cells were warm so I pulled them out of this dumb Duracell charger when I took the reading. Tried changing it again using the paperclip trick on the La Crosse charger and it held voltage while charging but took it out and zip. No charge whatsoever.

It was used in a string light but didn't hold a charge for very long, put it in one of these Chinese candles and well, guess this is what happens when you use every last cycle out of a NiMH battery. In comparison with the 2500mah Energizers I got in 2005 they only held a charge for about 3 hours then drop to 1.08v or lower, which is when I decided to retire those. The other 3 La Crosse cells are doing ok.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Not surprising to me as I tested the Lacrosse cells I got with my Lacrosse charger and they didn't even get close to the advertised capacity on them I think about 1800 of 2200mah. The batteries also self discharge pretty quick a month or three I think and they need to be recharged. I put them in a device I rarely used and forgot them.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I got 2 sets of AA and AAA. I bought a second La Crosse charger in 2017 with the cells. One of the AA cells looked like it had some battery acid leak onto it, but it seems to work ok. I've only gotten 1900mAh out of the cells and the claim is 2600mAh. I'm refreshing the cells in my C9000 charger to see if I can get more capacity out of them.

According to La Crosse you have to charge them, use them, recharge them 10 times to get their rated capacity but I haven't been able to do that. The AAA cells I can get at least 80% out of them so they seem to have better quality.

The older cells would heat up too much burnt one of the wrappers off one time but it was most likely hot from being used in a usb power device (like the Goal Zero Guide 10).

The 2017 cells are still HSD cells, seems La Crosse is either behind on LSD tech or they just continue to toss in old NiMH batteries with their charger. IR isn't the same across the board either. Some show 30% other cells are around 15%. They're Chinese cells too.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't think Lacrosse is concerned about battery quality as long as they work for awhile to get folks started just like battery makers give you free batteries with cheap flashlights that are low quality (heavy duty). I often wonder why they call them super heavy duty when there is nothing super about them...

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bonus points for the Star Trek reference. :)

Haha yes. Lol as I was writing the topic headline it just popped in my head.

Lynx_Arc, yeah I can't get much more than 1500mAh out of those batteries even from a break in on the C9000. So they're just junk despite the fact they have low internal resistance. I get tired of buying lights and other devices that come with alkalines when I'm just going to toss rechargeables in it. I have a couple of designated lights for alkaline use so if they get damaged it wont be a huge loss.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Haha yes. Lol as I was writing the topic headline it just popped in my head.

Lynx_Arc, yeah I can't get much more than 1500mAh out of those batteries even from a break in on the C9000. So they're just junk despite the fact they have low internal resistance. I get tired of buying lights and other devices that come with alkalines when I'm just going to toss rechargeables in it. I have a couple of designated lights for alkaline use so if they get damaged it wont be a huge loss.

1500 is ok for some uses if they were LSD but being non LSD a month later they will be 500mah capacity (or less) after discharging.
It took me a long time to slowly build up my LSD nimh stock and lithium primaries in AA and AAA so I have enough to put in my more expensive devices now only my cheaper items have alkaleaks in them either ones I can get to the contacts/springs to clean them if leaked or can toss in the trash. I have one fan remote that has has alkaleaks twice in it the springs don't stay shiny long so I've been cleaning and coating them the ends of the batteries with light bulb grease before I insert them to protect against corrosion.