Sky Lumen        
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Sky Lumen Nguyen Pre-Order & Serial Reserve

Default Re: Sky Lumen Nguyen Pre-Order & Serial Reserve

I bought one of your Texas Lumens TSLA9 the triple 219c Nichia, i thought it was a 21700 when i bought it and i did get the Sanyo INR 20700 for it. I like my lights to have 1 spare cell and 20700 isnt that common so i bored out the body to take a 21700 and use a Samsung 50E in it.
    This light was my intro to Nichia which is why i went with 219c 5000k in my SLN, still like my CW but i have plenty of those now.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but since I agonized for so long deciding on my first drop in configuration for this light, I figured here is as good a place as any;

What is it that makes the triples better throwers than quads, all other things being equal? Is there not enough room for optimal throw optics?

Quote Originally Posted by daffy View Post
    I bought one of your Texas Lumens TSLA9 the triple 219c Nichia, i thought it was a 21700 when i bought it and i did get the Sanyo INR 20700 for it. I like my lights to have 1 spare cell and 20700 isnt that common so i bored out the body to take a 21700 and use a Samsung 50E in it.
    This light was my intro to Nichia which is why i went with 219c 5000k in my SLN, still like my CW but i have plenty of those now.
    I have 219c 5000K 90CRI in. Its very nice. kind of just neutral with no hint of anything. 219b 4500K has the rosey look that some likes. SST20 and Samsung 351 4000K has a great tint but only at higher levels. 351 actually makes a very interesting large round fill hot spot that I like very much.
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDissent View Post
    Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but since I agonized for so long deciding on my first drop in configuration for this light, I figured here is as good a place as any;

What is it that makes the triples better throwers than quads, Triple optics is a tiny bit bigger per LED. Also if you have 3 optics nearer each other than the set up of 4 that likely stack up the beam better and give that bit of extra throw.

all other things being equal? Is there not enough room for optimal throw optics? Would be nice to make a even larger triple optics in 24mm just like the quads rather than 20mm size. We would definitely get more appreciate throw.

SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I received my Sky Lumen Nguyen yesterday, the Raw Polished serial number 25.

This is the most beautiful flashlight I have, as well as being by far the most rugged. It weighs noticeably more than a typical flashlight of its size. It is a work of art that could probably survive an F5 tornado.

My choice for the P60 drop in was "Quad White2 5400K", and a mode of firefly-15%-100%. Even 15% is bright enough for practically any use except to show off. It has nice throw for a flashlight with such a small head.

Vinh, I suspect that using an LEP drop-in for a future SLN would be difficult, if not impossible, but I have to ask that question. Imagine an SLN with 1 - 2 Mcd or more throw!
    Last edited by star_c_star; 10-06-2019 at 06:28 AM.
    Modded: 2 REV-Victor Enth * 2 DEFT-X's * 3 BLF GTvn90 * 2 TN42vn90 * TN42vn Oslon * RC40vn40 * X65vn * Tmack: c11(638nm 957mw * 405nm 1w * v2 445nm 2.83w) * Cypreus (405nm 1w * 445nm 2.72w) * Tmag super (445nm 5.6w * 445nm 3.2w * 520nm 1.5w)

Quote Originally Posted by star_c_star View Post
    I received my Sky Lumen Nguyen yesterday, the Raw Polished serial number 25.

This is the most beautiful flashlight I have, as well as being by far the most rugged. It weighs noticeably more than a typical flashlight of its size. It is a work of art that could probably survive an F5 tornado.

My choice for the P60 drop in was "Quad White2 5400K", and a mode of firefly-15%-100%. Even 15% is bright enough for practically any use except to show off. It has nice throw for a flashlight with such a small head.

Vinh, I suspect that using an LEP drop-in for a future SLN would be difficult, if not impossible, but I have to ask that question. Imagine an SLN with 1 - 2 Mcd or more throw!
    I am glad you like it so far. I remeber you ordered AB 5100mah with it. Great cell for long runtime and low heat. If you want another 1000L give samsung 30T a try. Like u I enjoy the SLN host enough to want everything in it. Even LEP tech someday. :-)
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    I am glad you like it so far. I remeber you ordered AB 5100mah with it. Great cell for long runtime and low heat. If you want another 1000L give samsung 30T a try. Like u I enjoy the SLN host enough to want everything in it. Even LEP tech someday. :-)
    Iíve got 2 of those AB 21700s already which ill try, 2 vapcell 21700 4000mAh(rewrapped vtc6A) 30A that i will try as well once the SLN arrives.

Cant wait to see what the gold adolyned is all about
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Vinh,

What is the approximate lumen output of the SLN I ordered, with "Quad White2 5400K"?
    Modded: 2 REV-Victor Enth * 2 DEFT-X's * 3 BLF GTvn90 * 2 TN42vn90 * TN42vn Oslon * RC40vn40 * X65vn * Tmack: c11(638nm 957mw * 405nm 1w * v2 445nm 2.83w) * Cypreus (405nm 1w * 445nm 2.72w) * Tmag super (445nm 5.6w * 445nm 3.2w * 520nm 1.5w)

Quote Originally Posted by star_c_star View Post
    Vinh,

What is the approximate lumen output of the SLN I ordered, with "Quad White2 5400K"?
    I believe itís 3500L and 40kcd.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    I believe itís 3500L and 40kcd.
    Correct. Just listed specs: https://skylumen.com/products/p60vn-...65d5ad13&_ss=r

That's with 30T. At turn on it's about 3700to 3850 depending on samples and focus. My sphere can be inconsistent with certain beams. Mule for examples are read extra low.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

DriverVN4 will also be upgraded for SLN to handle even higher current. Havnt upgrade this driver for a while. Ui will be the same.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

DriverVN4 will also be upgraded for SLN to handle even higher current. Havnt upgrade this driver for a while. Ui will be the same.
    It's great to hear this Vinh. Excellent work giving the SLN the best of everything, including this ground breaking P60 mule engine AND upgraded DriverVN4. I can't wait to hold 027!

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    It's great to hear this Vinh. Excellent work giving the SLN the best of everything, including this ground breaking P60 mule engine AND upgraded DriverVN4. I can't wait to hold 027!
    I cant wait to see what a bead blasted black one. At first I was going to skip gold adolyned on the threads and the bead blast to save some money but then I said what the heck. Already this far. I want all the parts finish to match and I also want the threads protected as well. Just another week...The wait seems forever!
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I cant wait to see what a bead blasted black one. At first I was going to skip gold adolyned on the threads and the bead blast to save some money but then I said what the heck. Already this far. I want all the parts finish to match and I also want the threads protected as well. Just another week...The wait seems forever!
    So theyíre going to Bead blast the black typeIII? Interesting finish! It must be a special/delicate process because normal glass bead blasting just cuts right through typeIII. Perhaps is a lower abrasive media of some kind.

I was trying to search this gold adolyned thread finish but couldnít find anything about it. Are we talking about a form of gold Ti Nitride coating or something else?

I'm glad to see the minor trolling on the last page has stayed there. Vinh- I'm in for a black host on the next run, no LE. It's encouraging to see a builder keeping the P60 host platform alive with a vengance! I wish you nothing but luck and continued success with these. As has been stated here by others, it's the most versatile, future-proof platform in our hobby. Let the haters make noise, keep doing what you're doing... 😁
    Wildflower seeds on the sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home...

Flashaholic*

i suppose i hadn't been following closely enough to know that these were P60 hosts. either way, i know the rules on disparaging remarks on sales threads.

P60 is still very relevant!! It's the format that's been on my duty belt for several years. Modular, durable and now in 21700 format. Vinh, can you post the length, diameter and weight of your host? Is the head interchangeable with the original? The reason I ask is for parts like these; https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/pro...il.php?pid=196 and https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/pro...il.php?pid=396

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by texas cop View Post
    P60 is still very relevant!! It's the format that's been on my duty belt for several years. Modular, durable and now in 21700 format. Vinh, can you post the length, diameter and weight of your host?
    https://skylumen.com/collections/v54-lights/products/sky-lumen-nguyen-preview-1
    20. Dimensions
    Head & Body Width: 33.33mm/1.31"
    Clicky Tail Cap + Clip Width: 39.14mm/1.54"
    Length with Clicky Tail Cap: 134.22mm/5.28"
    Thickest point @ body 5.75mm/.226"
    Thinnest point @ tail cap & Head 1.53mm /.06"

Is the head interchangeable with the original? No

The reason I ask is for parts like these; https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/pro...il.php?pid=196 and https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/pro...il.php?pid=396

Thank you
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by tab665 View Post
    i suppose i hadn't been following closely enough to know that these were P60 hosts. either way, i know the rules on disparaging remarks on sales threads.
    In the beginning I thought about making proprietary light engines. Our team even had the idea to make the light engine and the body internal slope so that they would wedge into each other naturally without needing foil. Bezel pressure will be heat sinking contact pressure. However I feel foil serves the purpose well if done correctly as demonstrated in the torture videos. Why make a proprietary engines and make everyone's life tougher with added costs and that one must purchase from me if the gain is negligible?

Handling many Surefires with dented bezel and cracked glass I was determined to help revive this platform. On top of making a bulletproof host I would also like to expand on this platform capabilities. A massive flood 12LED light engine is in the making and its suppose to be the brightest on turbo for the packaging and also most efficient on lower levels due to the high LED count sharing the load. I have plans to add additional tail caps and bezel options to serves different purposes. There might be a extra long 4*18650 body paired with a much larger head and reflector thrower option which will also be built on the 12LED custom copper shell. Who knows yet, the options are vast. But the main goal is to have a light that one might consider if their life depends on it.
    Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 10-08-2019 at 02:13 PM.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Glad to see another modular system around ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

• If you order the ORings Pack I will install the 2 Extra Water Resistant ORings on the body.
    Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 10-09-2019 at 10:22 PM.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

A loosen clicky retaining ring can give poor or no connection. In SLN I soldered the clicky to the copper retaining ring and this solves potential connection issue of a loosen ring. The copper retainer ring pressure now is mostly to hold the rubber boot tight against the tail cap wall for water resistant. A very loosen ring may let in water but it will no longer give connection issues as spring pressure from the light engine and the switch will always close the battery current path.

SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Hey look what I have

# 30

SLN-#30.jpg

What a beautiful - soon to be - flashlight!

After a long hiatus from CPF (I actually thought that my membership had lapsed - OK that no one has missed me ) I have been drawn back in by Vinh's super excellent SLN project. I am very happy to be part of this great endeavor. Congratulations Vinh. You, my friend, have done it right and watching the process has been so much fun. Very glad I stayed connected to Sky Lumen by email. (I'm Dusty, the knife guy, in case you are wondering.)

I came in today to sign back up on CPF and learned that I never left. Have been checking in as a lurker for more than a month now. Could have joined in on the CPF sign up for this light after all. As it was I ended up on ILLUMN to order my SLN. Glad I didn't miss it.

Have lots of questions as to what the features/engine/LEDs/batteries I will want in order to make the SLN the best light for me. I don't want to burden Vinh with a dozen emails while I try to learn, so I hope I can spread the burden around by asking you guys. With your collective experience and flashlight wisdom I'm pretty sure that when it comes time to send the SLN body to Sky Lumen I will be specifying a very cool and useful light.

Have to run now but I'll be back. Looking forward to chatting and sharing with you all.

Cheers, Sam
    Last edited by Samlittle; 10-10-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samlittle View Post
    Hey look what I have

# 30

SLN-#30.jpg

What a beautiful - soon to be - flashlight!

After a long hiatus from CPF (I actually thought that my membership had lapsed - OK that no one has missed me ) I have been drawn back in by Vinh's super excellent SLN project. I am very happy to be part of this great endeavor. Congratulations Vinh. You, my friend, have done it right and watching the process has been so much fun. Very glad I stayed connected to Sky Lumen by email. (I'm Dusty, the knife guy, in case you are wondering.)

I came in today to sign back up on CPF and learned that I never left. Have been checking in as a lurker for more than a month now. Could have joined in on the CPF sign up for this light after all. As it was I ended up on ILLUMN to order my SLN. Glad I didn't miss it.

Have lots of questions as to what the features/engine/LEDs/batteries I will want in order to make the SLN the best light for me. I don't want to burden Vinh with a dozen emails while I try to learn, so I hope I can spread the burden around by asking you guys. With your collective experience and flashlight wisdom I'm pretty sure that when it comes time to send the SLN body to Sky Lumen I will be specifying a very cool and useful light.

Have to run now but I'll be back. Looking forward to chatting and sharing with you all.

Cheers, Sam
    Welcome back! Nice score on that light! Congratulations.
    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

Thanks very much NoBones.

Now for my 1st question - AND PLEASE VINH - if you would rather not have this kind of discussion in this thread just let me know where to ask. Easy enough to move to another thread or start a new one. I'm sure I'm not the only person wondering how to get the best from your
    Sky Lumen BABY.

As a THROWER? My 1st inclination is to think this SLN would make a great night time spotter light out in the woods - maybe with an auxiliary red lens. So the question is - Will this make a decent thrower spotting light? How big a beam might there be a 20', for example? Would I get a 12" dia. spot at that distance or 6"? Bigger spot at greater distance even better!!!

I read this in another thread - "Yes the less the beam spreads the more light can be put further down target. That's why lasers can throw so long." If that's the case would the beam be pencil thin and the spot not much bigger? I have a TN32 that Vinh has modded for my current thrower. It works beautifully from my back porch but is a bit large for lugging on walks.

If the answer is YES - SLN could be a great little thrower - then the question is - what LED(s)(true to color rendition) & reflector would optimize this use?

I haven't decide that a thrower is what I want. Most often I'm partial to lighting up the scene in front of me - big spread, true colors, 4 or 5 brightness options. BUT - the little thrower concept could make a very fun and useful light and so I ask.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sam

Flashaholic

Thanks very much NoBones.

Now for my 1st question - AND PLEASE VINH - if you would rather not have this kind of discussion in this thread just let me know where to ask. Easy enough to move to another thread or start a new one. I'm sure I'm not the only person wondering how to get the best from your
    Sky Lumen BABY.

As a THROWER? My 1st inclination is to think this SLN would make a great night time spotter light out in the woods - maybe with an auxiliary red lens. So the question is - Will this make a decent thrower spotting light? How big a beam might there be a 20', for example? Would I get a 12" dia. spot at that distance or 6"? Bigger spot at greater distance even better!!!

I read this in another thread - "Yes the less the beam spreads the more light can be put further down target. That's why lasers can throw so long." If that's the case would the beam be pencil thin and the spot not much bigger? I have a TN32 that Vinh has modded for my current thrower. It works beautifully from my back porch but is a bit large for lugging on walks.

If the answer is YES - SLN could be a great little thrower - then the question is - what LED(s)(true to color rendition) & reflector would optimize this use?

I haven't decide that a thrower is what I want. Most often I'm partial to lighting up the scene in front of me - big spread, true colors, 4 or 5 brightness options. BUT - the little thrower concept could make a very fun and useful light and so I ask.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sam
    Nice score, Sam.

As to your question, Iíd recommend starting at Vinhís P60 page on his website for a general overview of whatís currently available:

https://skylumen.com/collections/v54...ines-p60-hosts

As you can see, the single W1.1 LED reflectored light engine will give the maximum throw at 566m. The trade off is that your lumen output is only 550lm. Iíve opted for the quad XPL HI emitter which offers a bit less throw (Iím guessing in the neighborhood of 380m), but with a far greater output possibly up to 4000lm.
    Last edited by Bronco; 10-11-2019 at 02:22 PM.
    --Semper Fi--
    Bill
    Proud owner of SLN #009

Thanks for the reply and recommendation Bronco.

My hesitation stems from not having a sense of how the specs translate to a real world beam of light.

Don't think I need a small thrower that will send a beam out 1500 feet or more. 1,000 would be more than plenty - especially if the hot spot has a spread of several feet at that distance. I only have a much bigger thrower to compare - my TN32.

I'm leaning to these 2 options:

ē Single Smooth Reflector White2 5400K - Higher output thrower 1000L, 65Kcd, 490m
    ē Quad White2 5400K High output with improved throw and HS over 50.2 3500L, 40Kcd, 400m

The Quad seems to offer the most "all purpose" and do that exceptionally well. Would love to see comparable beam shots of these from a similar sized light to the SLN. What does "HS over 50.2" mean?

Still learning. Thanks for any advice.

Sam

Thanks for the reply and recommendation Bronco.

My hesitation stems from not having a sense of how the specs translate to a real world beam of light.

Don't think I need a small thrower that will send a beam out 1500 feet or more. 1,000 would be more than plenty - especially if the hot spot has a spread of several feet at that distance. I only have a much bigger thrower to compare - my TN32.

I'm leaning to these 2 options:

ē Single Smooth Reflector White2 5400K - Higher output thrower 1000L, 65Kcd, 490m
    ē Quad White2 5400K High output with improved throw and HS over 50.2 3500L, 40Kcd, 400m

The Quad seems to offer the most "all purpose" and do that exceptionally well. Would love to see comparable beam shots of these from a similar sized light to the SLN. What does "HS over 50.2" mean?

Still learning. Thanks for any advice.

Sam

I had the same concerns, but since they are p60s that I can use to upgrade old hosts as well I got the smooth single w1.1 and the quad w2.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegadethreads View Post
    I had the same concerns, but since they are p60s that I can use to upgrade old hosts as well I got the smooth single w1.1 and the quad w2.
    So, you bought 2 that you will interchange as needed?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast