Imalent        
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Sky Lumen Nguyen Pre-Order & Serial Reserve

Default Re: Sky Lumen Nguyen Pre-Order & Serial Reserve

I think most of us assume a flashlight is made outside of the U.S. unless we specifically are looking for a USA made light. Me personally, I don't think the light needs to be marked made in China; just on your sales page when you are listing the specs of the light.

The development of a near bomb proof light is quite the achievement, but for the price I'll not likely use it as my needs don't demand it. $150 is little more friendly to my budget. Besides, just because it's not made of 7075 doesn't mean it won't be a quality light.
    Last edited by Kevin1322; 01-07-2020 at 04:06 AM.
    Sometimes we don't get what we pray for. Sometimes we get much more.

If there is hesitation in proudly permanently engraving and advertising the manufacturing location, it might be worthwhile to pause and consider the overall SLN and V54 brand. Getting as many V54 lights into the hands of as many people as possible is a worthy goal which I can respect, and that mission would require one set of design and manufacturing choices. That mission would put V54 in direct competition with almost every other flashlight manufacturer, and demand that the lights compete partially based on their price. If done right, it might result in a company with more impressive volume numbers and higher profit, with lower per-light profit margins. There are of course risks with this branding approach, which can all be addressed and mitigated as production ramps up from boutique-level volumes up to levels that would be competitive with larger manufacturers.

Another approach would be to be very clear that the brand represents "no compromises," and does not compete on price. Some people will always gripe about the price, but the mission of the brand would be more to recruit brand loyalists who are attracted to vertical integration, customization, innovation, personal service, and the artistic nature of the lights. There are of course other examples of successful manufacturers (lights and other products) which have made this choice and are successfully unapologetic about price and low volumes.

And, of course, it isn't a binary choice--there are infinite combinations of strategies. One method that companies use is of course to have different products. For example, the "SLN Genesis" brand could be defined as "the highest performance built-to-order 21700 P60 host ever manufactured," while the "SLN Exodus" brand could be defined as "the highest performance P60 hosts ever sold for $95" (or whatever the price point).

There are many companies that have their high-priced custom lines as well as their mass-produced lines, and find success doing both. It is hard to have a small and efficient company that has a mission statement with multiple sentences; but, it has been done. And, I would be the last person to doubt your ability to do whatever you set your mind to, Vinh!

I will likely keep SLN as top of the line Made in USA Project and expand on that. I will have to seek a more profiting project that is more budget friendly later. It will be a new light.
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Available Serials:

039. Matte Black Anodized
    040. Matte Black Anodized
    041. Matte Black Anodized
    043. Matte Black Anodized
    046. Matte Black Anodized
    047. Matte Black Anodized
    048. Matte Black Anodized
    049. Matte Black Anodized

058. Flat Dark Earth +$65
    059. Hypershift Blue/Purple + Extra Clear Coat +$85

Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 01-12-2020 at 01:08 AM.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Highly recommended. I paired mine with a P60 TripleVn, and am very happy with the light. Big, beefy chunk of beautifully machined and ano'd aluminum. It's nice to see someone carrying the flame for the P60 format. And it's certainly not going to break...
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

I'll take serial #59

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_torch View Post
    I'll take serial #59
    Thanks

SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Available Serials:

039. Matte Black Anodized
    040. Matte Black Anodized
    041. Matte Black Anodized
    043. Matte Black Anodized
    046. Matte Black Anodized
    047. Matte Black Anodized
    048. Matte Black Anodized
    049. Matte Black Anodized

058. Flat Dark Earth +$65
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

NEW P60vn

Quad W1.1 6500K Best high output throw
    2200L, 50Kcd, 447m

P60vn W2.1 Coming Soon
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    NEW P60vn

Quad W1.1 6500K Best high output throw
    2200L, 50Kcd, 447m
    That sounds interesting, a quad thrower.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

The SLN is such a perfect match for high-lumen P60's, built to handle heat and current. I'd love the impossible dream--4000K, high-CRI, high-lumen thrower...

I think triple W2 is probably an ideal setup for SLN, will definitely be my next P60 purchase. Quad W2 is impressive but triple will probably stay throwier longer due to less heat and bigger optics.

I must say Lil Vortex is MOST impressive, mine ended up being 8x XP-L HI 5000K and 4x SST-20 2700K. It's definitely pushing North of 4000 lumens, perhaps more. Feels closer to 5000 the way it fills up massive amounts of space. I don't think there is a bad way to set one of these up.

Triple Osram Square HCRI 3500K is just an amazing dropin. One of the best tints I have ever used, as close to classic Xenon/ incan as possible. Superb EDC for the discerning flashaholic.

A single emitter/ reflector option has to be in the top 4 I would imagine, with a set of 4 a W1.1 is an easy pick, but the W2 or XP-L HI are much more well rounded.

For me, it would be Lil V, triple W2, W1.1 SMO, and triple Osram Square 3500K HCRI. More people would probably want a Quad W2 and a triple 219b or SST-20 over my 3xW2 and 3xHCRI.
    Proud owner, SkyLumen Nguyen #011

List of my lights!

As for the Made in discussion, I don't think ethically material sourcing is what would be the qualifier. If the light is machined in China, then it should be "Made in China", but if it's components are merely sourced from China, there's a bit more lee-way. That being said- I don't think there is much point to trying to find a "lower value" SLN option- this is the be-all end-all of P60 hosts, this is the summit of today's flashlight hosts. $250 for a similar type host in and of itself is within reason. $250 for 7075, made in USA, high quality o rings and so forth is honestly incredible value.

List of my lights!

Quote Originally Posted by dotCPF View Post
    I think triple W2 is probably an ideal setup for SLN, will definitely be my next P60 purchase. Quad W2 is impressive but triple will probably stay throwier longer due to less heat and bigger optics...
    I agonized a bit over which drop in to order my SLN with, and settled on the W2 triple for these reasons. The GITD gasket was a plus, too. Very happy this far, having carried it every day. Such a fantastic light, really perfect for me as I love my gear to be overbuilt and bombproof.

SLN 059

SkyLumen54@gmail.com

SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Hey all, joined up here a few weeks ago. Having a nasty snow storm today, so figured I'd take some time to share my thoughts.

In December I went on a quest to find a new flashlight for work which brought me to r/flashlight since I use reddit the most these days. Down the rabbit hole I went, reading and researching, chatting with other users. Eventually heard about Vihn, went to his website, saw the SLN which caught my eye, watched all the videos then read this entire thread. I was blown away by the dedication and passion Vihn has for this project. Dedicating it to his late father also pulled my heart strings a bit, so I decided to email Vihn to talk about the SLN.

We went back and forth while I asked a ton of questions and he was very prompt and professional. My main concern was the size, I knew it was going to be chunky but I went for it anyway. He built the P60 and shipped the SLN out FAST, which was much appreciated! I asked Vihn for an all purpose build and I wanted HCRI for sure. I was leaning towards SST20 4000k. He suggested I go for the quad build with the Nichia 219b. So, I went with his recommendation on the quad build but stuck with the SST20 4000k HCRI emitters. I think I made the right decision for me, I love the warm emitters and the color rendering is great. I will never go back to my cool white 7500k lights again.

So, I received the light on Wednesday of this week and put it to work immediately for the rest of the week. Yes, it's chunky and heavy. But man, this thing just screams quality. The size is growing on me. I can still comfortably carry it in my back pocket, thought I do wish it was a little smaller. I have absolutely no worries about knocking this thing around, although the first drop is going to sting a little. I'll try my best to be mindful.

What I truly love, this is a no frills quality tool, period. You can take the entire thing apart to service and clean it. Swapping the clip and switch was a breeze. The o-rings are beefy. The threads are wonderful. The black ano finish feels great. I really appreciate tools that can be taken apart and serviced. Buy once cry once. This flashlight reminds me of my knives from Chris Reeve. He not only wants you to take apart his knives to clean and service them, he encourages it. My CRK Sebenza turned 20 years old this month, and I have no doubt it will outlast me as long as I take care of it. I feel that Vihn has created a similar dynamic with this flashlight. There's no reason this flashlight wouldn't last forever, as long as (internal) parts are still available to keep it going in the future. The body will definitely last indefinitely. This is just my opinion of course.

Not much else to say at the moment. Yes, it's expensive, but quality cost money. I have no regrets at the moment. Any issues and I am confident Vihn will take care of his customers. And the best part, I didn't even know what a P60 was until I found this light, being able to get different drop ins for different tasks or just for fun is AWESOME!

Vihn, if you decided to start another project similar to this with your team, that was a little smaller like an 18650 form factor, I will be on the train 100%.

For now I will proudly carry SLN 045 with me everyday in the field and I have no doubt it will serve me well for many years to come.

Some shots after 2 days of use.

SLN with my 20 year old Sebenza

SLN basically dwarfs my meter.

SLN hangin' with a PT pump

Beam shot in pitch black room, SLN at 33% brightness. Color rendering is awesome!

Another shot in very dimly lit room, SLN at 33% brightness.

Wow! Thanks for giving all the details and great pics! Welcome to the forum!
    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

I really like the GITD Gasket, it's bright & cool.

I only like green. The other colors are so dim!
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

RexDriver great post man and welcome!!! Yes with the P60 format the SLN will remain forever relevant, just buy a new P60 with current technology. I got a quad in one of my SLNís as well. 2 SST 20 and 2 Nichia. Probably renders the best colors out of any light I own. And I own a lot of lights lol.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Available Serials:

058. Flat Dark Earth +$75
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

So I have been carrying SLN #011 for the past week~ straight. Loaded with my Lil Vortex 4x SST 2700K, 8x XP-L V6. It is a very manageable light to carry for the size it is. I honestly just completely forgot if it was in my (admittedly largish) pant front-pocket and had to check if it were still there! It makes a great winter light, wearing even thick or heavy gloves it's usable. The Orings are a MUST I think for grip unless you use a lanyard. The sleekness of the light however is appreciated, makes it much easier to get in and out of the pocket, and the way the clip is set up there is a strong hold to the fabric, but you also won't wreck your suit pants should you desire it.

I maintain rigidly that candela is what impresses the layperson, but this thing BLEW my buddies away over the weekend. Even though it's a mule, it's power is evident even to the untrained (and as they know me, they expect bright things in my pockets) but this really does take it to a whole other level. I'll save the Lil V reactions and details for the P60vn thread to be posted shortly. The head does sap a lot of Lil-V's light, but it still leaves no shortage of the wow-factor.

I'm trying in my head to narrow down a few distinct setups for my SLN. I think a triple W2 is in order, I would probably also like a XP-L HI PDT because it just screams "SkyLumen" to me. I want an HCRI option, either a quad mix or another Lil V..... maybe a single in OP reflector.

In any case, lovely light to carry, totally doable, and you feel like nothing will stop you from having light.

List of my lights!

Nice carry description of the SLN, DotCPF. Thanks for sharing about it!

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    7075 Twisty tail is in line for production. I am huge fan of mechanical simplicity so I am very impatient to have this tail cap in so I can carry it.

(Love the 47 BoltVN for its mechanical operation too!)
    Any updates on the twisty? And, will this be available as a part, or will it mean buying a whole new SLN? I'm already looking for an excuse to get a whole new light to keep SN006 company...

Quote Originally Posted by Keitho View Post
    Any updates on the twisty? And, will this be available as a part, or will it mean buying a whole new SLN? I'm already looking for an excuse to get a whole new light to keep SN006 company...
    It's in production. It's a tail cap only.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Niiiiiice I cannot wait for the twisty. Been looking forwards to that since day 1!

List of my lights!

Quote Originally Posted by dotCPF View Post
    Niiiiiice I cannot wait for the twisty. Been looking forwards to that since day 1!
    Same here. I am a HUGE fan of the simplicity of a twisty. I know I will carry SLN way more when it's in. I might even deck out the tail cap with trits...may be...might need to sell something nice to get that done.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Along side the twisty, Iíve been hoping for a coupler or two.

Can hardly wait for the twisty! I, too, need to sell some stuff so I can deck it out in trits.

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast