Tactical flashlight on aeroplane

itsdark

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone had any issues taking a "tactical flashlight" on an aeroplane? Looking to take a couple of lights with me on holiday and don't want tsa or the baggage folk nicking them. Both lights have crenelated bezels tho and . Probably be an olight warrior and an armytek preditor or something like that.

search

search

Zak

Enlightened
Airport security in Germany once repeatedly pressed the buttons on my Acebeam L30, before swabbing it for a chemical explosives test. That strikes me as the wrong order, as randomly manipulating the controls of something you suspect might be a bomb could be considered imprudent.

Some places might object to flashlights more than 7" (177.8 mm) long. Large, sharp spikes might also be an issue, but modest crenelations are not. You'll be fine.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct Jon lithium's cannot be in the Cargo hold except if they are in the device and connected similar to shipping air mail but even then it's risky.
Safest is to keep in your carry on.
Regarding the crenellations anything factory will be ok unless it's been modified to have particularly sharp edges. I got butterknives and forks taken off me in the UK.... but my flashlight stuff was ok

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I've flown with an E2DL a few times with no problems.

I've also flown with metal hiking spikes.. those I just put in the little dog dish at the x-ray machine and told them where I was going and what I planned to do with them, and they were totally fine with them.

Keitho

Enlightened
At least in my experience in the USA, the risk to you is probably low, but keep in mind there is a non-zero chance that a TSA agent won't like how you look, how the flashlight looks, the attitude of the passenger in front of you in line, or what their spouse made for breakfast. Once they decide they don't like something, your appeal process does not exist, and you have to choose between throwing away the item, getting out of line to mail it, or not flying. I don't take anything on an airplane that I'm not willing to have taken away by an arbitrary and capricious agent who makes an un-challenge-able "risk-based judgement." That said, I've only had a "tactical pen" and a small pair of pliers stolen by TSA in my last few hundred flights, and never a flashlight; and, I've carried the same pen and pliers (and multiple lights) on every flight before and since.

Norseman

Newly Enlightened
I've been on two trips so far and no issues whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MX421

Enlightened

All those threads are old. i did the same search and couldn't find the one i had posted not as long ago. Done searching....

If you think the crenelated bezel is too aggressive, checking the light as suggested might be a good idea. If you decide to carry on only, perhaps suggest packing a prestamped shipping envelope that you can just ship instead of relying on them to overcharge you to ship (if the airport even does that). I think i got that idea from the thread i can't find...

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
To save you searching and looking for my comment from years ago: a long time ago I gifted my Cousin, who is a flight attendant, a Surefire E2D (200 lumen) and a SOG Dark Energy single CR123 light. He carries them both with him and has for years. Never had a issue. In fact, he has had several flight attendants through the years inquire about the SOG. I guess cause it is smaller? He says he keeps the SF on his person at all times on the planes.

Footnote: I know, he bypasses TSA checkpoints most times, yall don't need to tell me that. lol Also, I asked him recently if he had ever seen TSA hassel a passenger over a flashlight, his answer was No.

Norseman

Newly Enlightened
Yeah after posting this question here I had put it on my Facebook and it turns out a girl from high school is a TSA Agent and she said pretty much what everyone here said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itsdark

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone. We are going back packing through auz and nz and have a few other places to visit as well and really don't wanna loose the lights that we're going to need :candle:

Strintguy

Enlightened
I just flew to the USA from Australia and back (after a few weeks.) I had several lights and extra batteries in a small zippered bag, including an older SF crenelated bezel. They looked more at my battery power pack than the lights.