Are there lights you didn't expect to like but did anyways?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over the years I've had a couple of lights that I've acquired that I didn't expect to like, but after using them, have actually been surprised at how fond I am of them.

For instance, a while back I realized that I had a stash of 15+ year old CR123 cells and so, in order to use them up, I removed the extenders from my Solarforce L2M and threw in a low voltage drop-in I had from Customlites that I normally run on 2AA. The result is significantly bigger than my E1+VME and so I expected it to feel clunky and awkward in my hand, but to my surprise, I really like it. It was intended to be a nightstand light, but I've actually been carrying it during the day in a cheap neoprene holster.

The L2M body has good knurling and the extra width and length compared to the E1+VME makes for a much more positive grip. That extra bit of confidence makes a big difference when I pull it out to use.

There are lots of posts about lights people expected to like and then they didn't for some reason, so I thought it would be interesting to hear the opposite kind of stories. What lights won you over even though you didn't think you'd like them?

--flatline

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
The Armytek Dobermann Pro. It has a similar UI to other lights I didn't like, and I usually hate lights designed to be "tactical" - but it turns out to be a great pocket thrower, just barely floody enough for general use, and I absolutely love that you can easily go from the current level to turbo and back.
Momentary or easy to toggle turbo has become basically a must-have feature for outdoor use for me.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Original Maratac AA model in S.S.
Bought it to simply add a stainless steel light to my collection. However, during the time I carried it, it was my most useful and reliable light. Quite frankly, I'd still be carrying it today if I hadn't decided I want my primary light to be CR123 based, and my main back-up light is a 2AAA penlight form factor. If not for that,
I'd likely still be relying on that Maratac, today.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Are there lights you didn't expect to like but did anyways?"

Dedicated throwers. After two years of accumulating ten real performance lights, I got the K70vn, because it was best in its classification. But, to my surprise, I was amazed at what it did. Small, very bright spot, on a target very, very far away. My next nine lights included two more dedicated throwers: TN42vn and K75vn.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Reading about the ZebraLight UI, I did not expect to like those flashlights.

However, their strong following and popularity on CPF led me to try them, and I have been pleasantly impressed.

Not my favorites necessarily, but work well and much easier to use than expected.

I do prefer the latest "fully programmable" firmware, because I do not care for the default setup.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Rofis R2 and Fenix E01.

I did not expect to like either one after being gifted one of each. Yet ended up finding both being used a lot. I like the beam.

The R2 being one of those sunshine bright for 2.6 seconds and falling to 30% numbers, heck I only use low and medium with it.
And the E01? It ended up being the light Mrs Fixer and I both kept within arms reach for adding just enough light to read fine print, light a shadow in a crevice and stuff like that. Now later I acquired one of those Yuji'd E01 clones (called C01) and liked it at first but ended up preferring the real McCoy.

Last edited:

cp2315

Enlightened
Surefire g2x pro 320lumen
i bought one 3-4 years ago. Then it grew on me so much. I thought I would not like the 15 lumen low and puny 320lumen on high. But it became my favorite camping light. 10-15 lumen low is now my preferred low output. And 320lumen high is plenty for any use by me.
Also this type of UI became my absolute favorite. I bought a second g2x pro in yellow later. I even set my h17f lights to same two level UI.

cp2315

Enlightened
It is forward clickie. One full click goes to low, another full click (really two clicks one to off one to back on) goes to high. If you need high from off, just do one half click and quickly a second full click

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hds system lights. Did not think I would like to go trough the different clicking patterns to use the light. Now I have multiple HDS lights. Great lights.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not expect the Duracell Durabeam Ultra 350 to be really good lights but they are. Got the 4 pack on Amazon which was at a pretty cheap price though now it's now a 3 pack and got a bit expensive. Seen someone at work with one and bought a set and they work wonderfully well still.

Also didn't expect Coast flashlights to be really good, they sell them at Home Depot. Like the HP7 and now they got a 500 lumen version out. I got the 410 lumen one.