Use a rear-view "backup" camera, to screen on handlebars?

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Anyone done this? Either with a dedicated screen ( I think some are sold that way for autos, most with wired connection) or wireless to a "device?"

Mirrors can reflect glare & blind you, and a wide angle backup camera might cover all the zone necessary. And you can record it continuously.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i tough about that , wanted a simple wired cam to plug into i phone, could not find it one. but there are several Bluetooth cameras available, not for bike use, but can be easy converted, all you need to build\get is a mount, and a battery, your phone will be screen and the dvr

octagonalman

Newly Enlightened
How about equipment for the drone market?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
cost effectiveness is a factor here as well, drone equipment, i assume you are talking about FPV cams would be unnecessary expensive and complicated for a bicycle, imo

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the screen to be big enough to really let you see what was back there, it'll hurt your night vision. Also, looking down at it, it keeps you refocusing your eyes when lots of riding you'll be using your eyes' "infinity" mode (looking at things 20ft away and farther).

Might be good to keep recording the footage but not have it display as you're riding.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
And in the day, glare on a screen could be a problem. But focusing on a mirror is the same change from infinity. But mostly I just want to know when something is back there so I can turn my head for details.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
And in the day, glare on a screen could be a problem.
True.
But focusing on a mirror is the same change from infinity.
If it's a flat mirror, it's not a change from infinity if the object is already at infinity. There might be a slight reflexive refocusing when the frame of the mirror comes in view but it's not the same as trying to look at the image formed on a screen and it goes away quickly.

Where the idea has merit is not for the "display in realtime" aspect, but for the recording aspect. Having a dual camera system and recording both cameras would be incredibly helpful in the case of an accident (or worse, a driver angry with having to share the road with a cyclist). This is definitely the part I can get behind.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i tried mirror, threw it away after 1 day, it shakes, and it is much harder to see than just turning your head a bit and use peripheral vision. mirror is fine when you slowly cruising on smooth pavement, but when you ride fast, or off pavement, it is next to useless in my experience.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
i tried mirror, threw it away after 1 day, it shakes, and it is much harder to see than just turning your head a bit and use peripheral vision.
Trying to maybe use some sort of neoprene or silicone-padded mount might help a little. I've not used the helmet-mounted mirrors but wonder if those work OK. I don't see them in the wild very often.