Please — need to keep dogs safe!!

Dog vs porcupine

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for reading my post. I like to research features, options etc, but WOW, I didn't know there was this much to a handheld light!! I need your help.

I need to check fenced area for critters, bears, coyotes, etc before letting my dogs out at night. Zero ambient light. We stay out with them to keep and eye out, no more than 10min at a time, 3-4 times at night. It's a vacation house so it will be used infrequently.

Of the long list of questions suggested I answer, all I care about is...

** from a few yards close, out to at least 100-125 yards
** many, many lumens - more than i will need
** mostly spot to search, but some flood to keep pups in sight - maybe ability to focus between both
** strobe feature to dissuade or disorient whatever may come our way
** doesn't need to be small, not for everyday use
** rechargeable i assume is better, keeping it plugged in next to door seems smart
** $200 (less is better, more if necessary for quality / features)
** don't want to build it or have it built, just buy online

Thanks in advance for any suggestions (or anything i should avoid).

Keitho

Enlightened
I'd suggest a different tool for looking around a few yards away, or searching a fence line at 125 yards. Yes, I can drive a framing nail and a finishing nail with the same hammer, but I try not to if I can help it! For "many, many lumens - more than i will need", you might consider the class of lights known as "pop can" flooders. Emisar D18 is a very solid example of how to flood the area near you with more lumens than anyone needs; but, there are lots of other good ones if you search this forum for flooders that will measure lumens in the tens-of-thousands (I'm really happy that winter is coming, so I'll have jacket pockets big enough to always have one with me for the next several months).

For searching a long ways in the distance, lumen count matters way, way less than beam shape--where the lumens go. You don't want peripheral light to bounce off of the foreground and blind you to a relatively dim target in the distance; so, even some "throw" lights will have too much peripheral light to be a really useful search tool for distant targets. If you search for "pocket thrower" or "searchlight" on this forum, you'll start to see photos of beams of different lights that should help you choose what kind of throw and spill you think you'll like the best. For these lights, size matters--the larger the reflector, the more focused the beam can be. So, think about how large of a flashlight you're willing to buy and carry. The Lumintop GT mini might be a place to start what might be a long, long journey through thrower reviews.

For what it's worth, I've tried strobe modes on dogs, coyotes, deer, skunk, squirrels, prairie dogs, and cougars (the human kind, not the cat)--none of them reacted at all to flashing light. (I scare away cougars by showing them my empty wallet.) Strobe lights at night, however, are very disorienting to me, the user of the light; so, it might be worthwhile to consider moving the strobe functionality down pretty low on the list of features that you care about.

Enjoy the search!

Emisar D18: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?457157-Emisar-D18
GT mini: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...top-GT-Mini-Best-pocket-thrower-on-the-market

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huge amount of options there. Given you want to see specific things at distance I would definitely aim for something that is a dedicated thrower.

Thrunite Catapult V6 is a great option, wider beam but very punchy. Acebeam's T27 is a great option and one of the first I would consider for a rechargeable thrower in the $200 range.

Avoid zooming options, by-and-large they are gimmicky and make lots of sacrifices, and they are often far from anything considered quality. My favorite/ houseshold favorite for the dags is a BLF Q8 (or Sofirn Q8). Great output, decent throw, plenty of flood. The modern maglite, in my opinion. A great general household/ yard light.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For simplicity, I suggest Mag Charger LED 150LR.

It has its own charging dock that can be wall mounted.
Very simple operation anyone that picks it up will know how to operate it without instructions
More than 4x the amount of throw you ask
Focusing beam pattern
Maglite traditional looks and durability.
Less than $100 on jungle store right now.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
For simplicity, I suggest Mag Charger LED 150LR.

It has its own charging dock that can be wall mounted.
Very simple operation anyone that picks it up will know how to operate it without instructions
More than 4x the amount of throw you ask
Focusing beam pattern
Maglite traditional looks and durability.
Less than $100 on jungle store right now.

+1 on the one of the LED Mag chargers!

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might take a look at a Malkoff Hound Dog Super, it's over your budget but it's a quality piece of equipment.
Built in the US, the guy that answers the phone and your emails is the guy that makes the lights. The after sales service and warranty are exemplerary.
Throws out to 1500 feet with a useful spill. 2 modes Hi and Low by twisting the head - no strobe, but this has limited use, if any.
Check it out even if it's just for fun - malkoffdevices.com.
P

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I second the Malkoff Hound Dog. Any version. I use the neutral Hound Dog 18650 the most, I think Maglite is good option too. Part of that will depend on what type of battery choice you want.

LTBL777

Newly Enlightened
The super hound dog is what I use when taking out dogs
It is unreal bright. Ultra reliable

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I used a strobe on a raccon once.
The only reaction was it dropped the food it was eating and broke into a disco dance.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1569767663.970431.jpg

Latest posts