The Fenix-Store        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small hiking, waterproof, uber reliable headlamp recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tex.proud View Post
    2 brands already mentioned, Zebraligt and Armytech, are highly recommended by me.
    Thanks for the pics Tex Proud - they look loved!

I've actually had pretty bad experience with Armytek's reliability and worse with their "hassle free 10 year warranty." Mine have been good as far as waterproof goes but the tail cap switches constantly break. I've bought new ones and even gotten 2 with LOTS of work and back and forth communication with their "hassle free warranty" guys. 1 replacement (3mos later?) was dead on arrival; the other lasted 2 days.

From talking with Army tek I think they may actually believe their product is reliable... the way they explain it to me, their LIGHT is still good, it's just the tail cap that broke... almost like my light didn't work at all because it had a defective battery in it and they try to explain that's not them?

I see from your picture though the switch on the HL's looks quite different than on the Predator/Viking series so maybe they fixed it?
    I am curious exactly how the tailcaps broke. I ask this because both Zebralights that I had fail were from a failure at the tailcaps. I didn't bother trying to get it covered under warranty, instead I just purchased new tailcaps.

Enlightened

Default Re: Small hiking, waterproof, uber reliable headlamp recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by De-Lux View Post
    Well, I am probably going to get slammed for saying it but I would stay away from Zebralight if Uber dependability is important. Had a couple fail and one after lite use. Don't get me wrong, I love my Zebralights, I own 4, fit and finish are excellent. Not super crazy about the UI and definitely would be reluctant bathing or showering with any of my Zebra lights.I would look at ArmyTek otherwise buy two Zebralight to have one as back up JIC. I would also go with a Head lamp that runs AA primaries especially for the environment you will be using the light. A dozen AA's would roughly be the weight and space of a LiPo charger and you can get AA's just about anywhere.
    I am just one data point, but I've had the same experience. I wouldn't depend on one as a sole light. If you have a backup, then they are pretty nice. Lights with extreme runtime at low level are great for multi-day camping and backpacking and zebralight was one of the first to figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
    I've noticed 3 different styles of charging built into lights and am curious which one is the most reliable/waterproof:
    1. micro or C USB under a rubber flap.
    2. USB port protected under under screwed threads.
    3. Magnetic charging cable that attaches to the outside.
    I use Zebralight and Armytek.
    I bought Armytek (Wizard basic version with magnet) the first time because it was a discount offer, then I bought many other basic Wizard and Elf C2 (Elf has the Micro USB port)

After an initial skepticism I can guarantee the waterproofness of these Armytek, I used them in the rain but above all frequently washed under a jet of tap water.

Elf C2 has a non-durable USB port protection grommet but it is guaranteed to work without it and it seems to be true.
    I'm a guy who loves Zebralight but I'm using Armytek more often, they cost me little so I don't care if they fall on the ground or if I risk losing them.

For your daughter's use, perhaps Armytek is better because it has the glass that is more protected (recessed), the magnetic recharge or Micro USB convenient because you don't have to take out the battery and you can use a solar panel or a powerbank directly.

Keep in mind that my positive experience has been with Basic version of Wizard and with ELF.
    Of the professional version I read on the web of frequent failures (I have no idea if this has improved over time)
    Excuse the bad translation.

maybe i am biased , but i have never had a single fenix failure, EVER. with any part of the light, and they see mud and water regularly, i have 0 hesitation of going underwater with them, and do so when the need arises.

that said i would never carry only 1 light nor would i only carry 1 battery, everything fails or can get damaged, get 2 lights and 4 batteries or more, i personally would go 18650, and that's coming from eneloops for many years, get the lights with the charger built in, or the battery with the charger built in, and you don't need a charger period.

good luck
    Last edited by LittleBill; 12-12-2019 at 10:00 PM.
    Fenix Lover - E01, UC01 (x2), UC02, LD20-R4, L2D, LD22, TK40, HP11(x2),HP30R,CL30R,UC35v2,E18R,HL60R, Nitecore HC65, UltraFire C3 (x2), MiniMag with TLE-5EX dropin

I've had an Olight H1R for a about 2.5 years with no problem. Backpacking + everything around the house with no issues. I really like the magnetic charging attachment. Some moisture exposure but I've never dunked it. Rated as IPX8, but as stated, I haven't tested this. I am not associated with Olight, but they do have a Christmas sale starting 12/16/19. I don't think the HR1 is going on sale, but I will be ordering one for my son with some other stuff!
    Last edited by Gallen1119; 12-15-2019 at 11:43 AM.

I am curious exactly how the tailcaps broke. I ask this because both Zebralights that I had fail were from a failure at the tailcaps. I didn't bother trying to get it covered under warranty, instead I just purchased new tailcaps.
    I am curious how your ZL tailcaps broke? Which batteries you had in use?

Quote Originally Posted by bbltint View Post
    I am curious how your ZL tailcaps broke? Which batteries you had in use?
    AW 18650 protected in one (SC64w) and your standard AA primary in the other (H503c). Upon closer inspection it was definitely a shoddy solder job with both where the spring is soldered to the pcb. Fortunately getting a replacement tail cap was pretty painless. I still think they are great lights but wouldn't hurt to have a backup aroung just in cas.
    Last edited by De-Lux; 02-18-2020 at 12:57 AM.

Always have a backup light for sure regardless of how reliable a light is you can break or lose it leaving you in the dark plus if you have the same type of battery for both lights you can swap them back and forth if one light quits working you still have 2 batteries for the good one.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Flashaholic*

AW 18650 protected in one (SC64w)
    That could be part of the problem. The SC64 requires an unprotected flat-top cell, not much longer than 65mm. A protected cell, being longer, would put a lot of pressure on the tail spring. I think almost all the new Zebralights require unprotected flat-top cells. They did this to allow them to make the lights as small as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    Always have a backup light for sure regardless of how reliable a light is you can break or lose it leaving you in the dark plus if you have the same type of battery for both lights you can swap them back and forth if one light quits working you still have 2 batteries for the good one.
    This is what I do. My primary headlamp for hiking is an Olight H1N. And my spare battery carrier for the Olight H1N is a second Olight H1N.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    AW 18650 protected in one (SC64w)
    That could be part of the problem. The SC64 requires an unprotected flat-top cell, not much longer than 65mm. A protected cell, being longer, would put a lot of pressure on the tail spring. I think almost all the new Zebralights require unprotected flat-top cells. They did this to allow them to make the lights as small as possible.
    You got me thinking so I actually just measured the 18650 in my SC64 out of curiosity and it meassures in at precisely 65mm and upon closer inspection the battery is what appears to be Panasonic and not AW. At 65mm it still feels like excessive force is on the spring but dont really have another SC64 to compare. Would have been the logical explanation that the cell was too long but it does fall within the required length.. Also want to note that my intent is not to trash Zebralight. They are great lights in my opinion. I would not own several if I felt otherwise. The OP mentioned that he had multiple Armyteks fail at the tailcap and I am curious if it was a similar issue. Reality is that object mechanical in nature can and do fail. If uber reliability is if utmost importance to the OP then my recommendation is to carry a backup JIC. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
    Last edited by De-Lux; 03-07-2020 at 01:51 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12