Imalent        

Thread: What kind of LED driver do I need to replace this? Constant Current or Voltage

Unenlightened

Default What kind of LED driver do I need to replace this? Constant Current or Voltage

Iíve been debugging an expensive lighted mirror and I am pretty sure that the LED driver is failing. There are 6 LED bulbs in series and sometimes they will all work perfectly for a few minutes and then they will all turn off (or very dim).

It should be obvious by looking at the driver specs what kind of driver this is, but to me it is ambiguous. Hereís what it says:

Hopestar Electronic Co LED DRIVER
    Model: LED-24V350
    Input: 120vac, 60Hz, 10w
    Output:24Vdc,Max.330ma
    12V...24Vdc, Constant 330ma

The second to the last line sounds like constant voltage while the last line sounds like constant current.
    Which is it? Anyone out there who can tell me what kind of driver I need to buy to replace this?

I have searched for this model for specs but it seems to be discontinued.

Unenlightened

Default Re: What kind of LED driver do I need to replace this? Constant Current or Voltage

Quote Originally Posted by Edwjmcgrath View Post
    Iíve been debugging an expensive lighted mirror and I am pretty sure that the LED driver is failing. There are 6 LED bulbs in series and sometimes they will all work perfectly for a few minutes and then they will all turn off (or very dim).

It should be obvious by looking at the driver specs what kind of driver this is, but to me it is ambiguous. Hereís what it says:

Hopestar Electronic Co LED DRIVER
    Model: LED-24V350
    Input: 120vac, 60Hz, 10w
    Output:24Vdc,Max.330ma
    12V...24Vdc, Constant 330ma

The second to the last line sounds like constant voltage while the last line sounds like constant current.
    Which is it? Anyone out there who can tell me what kind of driver I need to buy to replace this?

I have searched for this model for specs but it seems to be discontinued.
    Since no one had a clue, I kept looking and although they are discontinued in the US, they still make the 220v 50Hz version. That was described as constant current so I bought a CC driver for $4 and that fixed it!

Flashaholic

Default Re: What kind of LED driver do I need to replace this? Constant Current or Voltage

Quote Originally Posted by Edwjmcgrath View Post
    Since no one had a clue, I kept looking and although they are discontinued in the US, they still make the 220v 50Hz version. That was described as constant current so I bought a CC driver for $4 and that fixed it!
    You've got it...

24vdc max. is just the voltage output limit to allow 330mA constant current. This drives each LED to about 1W.
    Too many LEDs in series (six is fine, seven probably the limit) would cause loss of regulation.

Dave