Need advice for scuba diving

RewopEldnac

Newly Enlightened
I am going to try scuba diving for this summer. But I know nothing about it.
I look around the internet for classes, I found one (Redondo Beach, CA) that charge $250 for PADI. I can rent all the equipments with them . But I was told that there are some of the equipments that I do want to buy, for example you dont want to use a used snorkle.
Which other equipments that I can rent and which ones I should buy?
Is sport challet a good place to buy the stuff?
etc....etc.
Basicly, any hints will be appreciated about this subject.

PS: I live in Santa Monica, CA.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will probably want/need to buy your own mask, snorkel, fins, booties and maybe even gloves and hood. Weight belt, you might consider as well but not necessary to buy up front (usually).

If your skin is sensitive you might want to consider the hypoallergenic gear.

You will want booties unless your fins are so comfortable that they don't chafe your skin. Generally, fins are made to be worn with booties. Gloves and hoods would obviously be optional depending on if you need to dive with them or not ..... how cold is the water in your area? Up here in Puget Sound (Seattle area) the water tempurature is somewhere in the 40's all year around and you would be lucky to survive 25 minutes without appropriate gear.

Don't get sucked into buying all the gadgets and accessories. Just remember, it's all stuff you will have to contend with topside (lugging and cleaning) and at depth (fumbling and trying to use). The less the better in my book, until you get comfortable. Don't spend a whole bunch of money on a dive knife/tool. Consider a bottom timer instead of a dive watch. Don't be afraid to just go snorkeling even after you get certified. It's nice to free yourself of the extra gear sometimes.

Used gear is cheaper, but unless you know what your looking at you may not want to go down that road .... at least for gauges, regulators, tank & valve. Your local dive shops probably sell refurbished gear which might be worth looking into as a cost saving measure. Just don't dump a whole bunch of money in gear until you know you will be sticking with it.

I am/was a certified Dive Master (P.A.D.I) and assisted with dive classes for over a year. I was also a commercial diver for several years in the Gulf of Mexico and up here in Washington State. However after going commercial, I quit sport diving as it was no longer challenging or fun. I have not been in the water in about 8 years, but easily still could.

Mike

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I didn't think I NEEDED to mention anything about lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mike

RewopEldnac

Newly Enlightened
Nope you dont need to Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and thank you for your input.
First I am going to visit some local stores just to find the prices and sizes of the stuff, and then try the internet (maybe ebay) to get them.
I dont know how cold the water in my area, but I was told to get wet suit that is 5mm to 7mm just to be safe. Does anybody know?

Ordin_Aryguy

Newly Enlightened
<SNIP>...Don't be afraid to just go snorkeling even after you get certified. It's nice to free yourself of the extra gear sometimes...

Yeah! Just what Mike said. The "gear factor" in scuba took the fun out of going for me. Snorkeling is the utmost in freedom.

A couple things to keep in mind when looking at scuba equipment are:
1) Your life will literally depend on your choices.
2) Make good choices.

A regulator going bad at depth, a BC that decides to self inflate and drag you to the surface, or a hose that blows off at the wrong time WILL definitely ruin one's day.

Scuba is a blast, enjoy it, and always have respect for the water.

Ordin ... PADI Advanced Open Water Certified

lhz

Newly Enlightened
Good for you! I hope you'll find scuba diving as fun as I have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

With regards to personal gear, my 2-cents worth is to buy your own mask, fin, snorkel and wetsuit. Its good to own these for your personal comfort and hygiene reasons. Your instructor should be able to give you some advise on how to choose your basic gear. And these items can be used for snorkeling should you decide that scuba diving is not your thing. Leave the more expensive equipment(buoyancy compensator, regulators, dive computers etc etc) till at least after your open water course.

For mask, its advisable to go with a low volume design with a clear silicon skirt and nose pocket(ask your instructor to explain what these terms mean). This kind of mask is easy to clear and the clear skirt allows a lot of light into the mask compared to one made of rubber or black silicon, which may limit your field of vision.

Fins come in a mind boggling array of designs and colors. At the end of the day they can be divided into 2 main types, open heel and full foot. The full foot ones you just put them on your feet the way you put on your loafers or shoes. No booties required. These are often made of lighter material and are suitable for diving in warm waters. Open heel fins feature a foot pocket and adjustable heel strap.You have to wear booties with them. I prefer open heel designs because I like the extra protection of the booties on the boat or on land. The booties are important for exposure protection if you're diving in colder waters.Open heel fins are also easier to wear.

Wetsuits come in different thickness and sizes, I have no idea what kind of conditions you'll be diving in so no comment. Your instructor will be able to help you pick the right one for your needs.

Have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My certifications:

PADI Open Water Diver (2002)
SSI Advanced Open Water Diver (2003)
SSI Stress & Rescue Diver (2003)

Brock

Flashaholic
As a long time diver I can tell you your buddy is the most important piece of equipment you have. The more comfortable the two of you are and the more natural communication you have the better. My buddy and I eventually bought matching equipment so we are very familiar with each other's equipment.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Cool sport! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Scuba and snorkeling both have their advantages and disadvantages. Both allow you a glimpse of the sea and wonderful creatures that cover 2/3 of the planet. I agree that mask, fins and snorkel are a good base and likely equipment that you will want to own and not rent.

I think Brock's statement is important and goes with conventional wisdom of diving. I would guess that 95% of my UW time has been solo so I have had to rely 100% on myself and my gear.

I too prefer snorkeling to scuba because of its ease and freedom; especially in warm clear water. As soon as you have to put on a full wetsuit for protection from the cold, might as well put on the scuba gear and go down and blow some bubbles! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Have fun!