Narrow Beam Pocket Flashlight

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is there a flashlight the size of my sc64 with more throw and a narrower beam with 1000 lumens or more? The sc64 is 1300 lumens but just too floody for me.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I prefer a reflector or at least some spill so the fw1a looks like the best choice. I will have to do some research
Never heard of it before today but it looks nice in the pics.

Nobody seems to have the fw1a for sale?

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
If that is the flashlight I am thinking of it is twice the size of the sc64 I mentioned as being the right size.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're ok with a slightly larger head diameter vs the SC64 then the Emisar D1 would be perfect. Alternatively you could go with something like a Convoy S2 or Eagetac D25LC2 modded by Skylumen with an Osram W2 or SST20. Those would be same diameter as SC64 but a bit longer, and also pricier than the Emisar.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just Neal at this point. It's a very new light but I have a couple early samples. It's quite throwy.

I'm not sure how you define "throwy" ...but it's not the word I would use to describe my FW3A. Floody would be my choice to describe it. I can't tell for certain which lens I received since it took over a month to get delivered and there was no communication from Neal.

My recommendation though would be to check out the Klarus XT1C 2018 edition. Its a compact single cell design that they claim throws 1000 lumens. I like my XT11GT but I'm fairly certain its not emitting 2000 lumens like they claim. I knew that might be the case when I bought it and it was acceptable to me because it still puts out around 1200-1500 lumens.

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure how you define "throwy" ...but it's not the word I would use to describe my FW3A.

Me neither, but I'm not talking about the FW3A, I'm taking poop the FW1A.
ceea820af64eb3dbb402cded1a470f37.jpg

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinh has the D3Cvn with a white 2, super throwey and 1000 lumens. Smaller though, and a 16340 cell only. There's also the Goliath if you want a twisty. The Jetbeam RRT01vn can take an 18350 and does the same with a White 2 that the D3C does.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klarus E1, has throw with some spill, tir optic, compact. VinhNyugen SkyLumens has some modified ones it the cool white isn't to your liking

recDNA

Flashaholic
Klarus E1, has throw with some spill, tir optic, compact. VinhNyugen SkyLumens has some modified ones it the cool white isn't to your liking
I will read about e1
Oh E1 is wide angle optic. Not at all what I want
I want a throwy reflector that is as small as a sc64

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
At this point the FW1A intrigues me so I will at least wait for a price and specs before I choose something else. Most throwers have big heads or they are silly long for no reason. Every Surefire I've ever used is an inch longer than it should be.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

..wonder if a very narrow optic w/ a XP-L HI would get you there, maybe in the FW1A or similar chassis.
just a thought

oh, I see optics have been mentioned

add:

The short length you want is an issue;
because really deep reflectors (to get a narrow beam) in a short/pocket 18650 light just don't exist ----- simply length limitations.

What is you took a D25LC2 Mini 'twisty' @ 4.25"
put a Carclo 8.7° 20 mm Circular Beam Optic in it, part# 10193
I think it would fit

It may not be 1000lm, but you might have to sacrifice something in what you want.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will read about e1
Oh E1 is wide angle optic. Not at all what I want
I want a throwy reflector that is as small as a sc64

maybe Vinh could hook you up with a different reflector, he's got a couple lights that appear to have throw and pocketable but to be as small as an sc64 and be throwy, you'll likely need to go with a smaller battery or larger head diameter, if you don't go with a tir optic

recDNA

Flashaholic
Vinh's lights typically require too much amp draw for my pocket. I'd prefer a manufactured product for pocket carry.

He is the best mod guy I know so if I cannot find anything I will get in touch with him. Thanks.