Backpack Battery

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw that Stihl and Husqvarana make a backpack batteries. I have never used one. How well would something like this work out for powering a portable spotlight? Are there lots of different backpack batteries being made? I am thinking that lithium ion should make them reasonably light weight, but the cost may still be prohibitive for many people.

https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-t...ls/261316-63647/AR-3000-backpack-battery.aspx

https://www.ahupd.com/product.asp?i...-veO-pVbxFTfd2orfjRlOl-ImOjjfAJgaAhyLEALw_wcB

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
36v 31Ah battery probably around 90 batteries? Would have to make a driver for any normal LED setup.

Keitho

Enlightened
For flashlight and handheld consumer electronics, I have a 2-year-old GOOLOO brand car jump starter that I think would be more useful than a 16-lb, $700, 36V Stihl backpack. A jump-starter powerbank is useful for powering 12V electronics, USB electronics, etc. At current prices, you could buy qty=7 of the 73 Wh GOOLOO powerbanks for less $$$ than the AR3000 backpack, and besides having more uses for small electronics, they would weigh less too! But, they wouldn't be able to power the Stihl electric trimmers, pruners, etc. that require higher voltages at sustained higher currents than my flashlights and other little electronic gadgets.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been using Stihl's Battery powered chainsaw and string trimmer with one of their older battery packs for maybe 5 years now. Love it. One can see the group of 18650 cells inside the expensive pack. They have made incremental increases in capacity since then. Not sure how the backpack setup would work but the connection would need to be removed. There are multiple electronic contact points.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
For flashlight and handheld consumer electronics, I have a 2-year-old GOOLOO brand car jump starter that I think would be more useful...73 Wh GOOLOO powerbank

But wouldn't that put out 14.6 v unless the draw was as heavy as a car, to make it drop to ~12? What voltage do spotlights made to plug into the cigarette lighter have?

Keitho

Enlightened
You got me interested, so I got out my DMM. Mine read 12.2V at the jump start leads with no load, on a cheap 20-year old DMM. But, in my limited experience, I've seen a few "12V" devices that work well over a wide range of voltages in the general vicinity of 12 (battery chargers is what I'm thinking of at the moment). I'm thinking that a "12V" flashlight (and most other devices, actually) is probably boosting or bucking the voltage anyway, and wouldn't be hyper-sensitive to the exact input voltage. Another example--I have a "12V" Dometic cooler that is actually designed to shut off once your van or RV battery is too low--it works down to 10.1V before shutting off to protect the house battery.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I too have a Dometic CRX refrigerator (35 I think) that may not still be made. Without active charging of a 12V battery mine can get erratic when the voltage lowers. It takes quite a load and the voltage drops, only to bounce back up when disconnected. Curiously, running straight from my 2 batteries at my house does not work all night but through our pure sine wave (Morningstar) inverter it Will function all night. It does accept a range of voltages, and I would think the Stihl backpack would be eager to maintain a good voltage, given what it is designed for. Just not sure about its practicality for this application.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been using Stihl's Battery powered chainsaw and string trimmer with one of their older battery packs for maybe 5 years now. Love it. One can see the group of 18650 cells inside the expensive pack. They have made incremental increases in capacity since then. Not sure how the backpack setup would work but the connection would need to be removed. There are multiple electronic contact points.

I was slightly surprised when Stihl came out with an electric chainsaw. I think it might be one of the best electric chainsaws made.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you initiated this thread I will briefly mention that the Stihl battery powered chainsaw is nice, and the string trimmer that takes the same battery as well. The narrow chain on it is more of a challenge to sharpen. At the high altitude we live, there is no lack of oxygen to impair function as with an internal combustion unit.