Mini led torch with adjustable light beam?

FoxAdriano

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'd like to know if there is a mini torch (max 10 cm 4 inch) with a adjustable light beam (zoom). I like above all a wide beam.
I need at least 1000 lumens with white light (not bluish). My budget is around 50 euro.
Thanks for your precious info.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno, zooming flashlights are still very much a kind of gimmick type light. Most of those that I have seen tend to be inexpensive and use LEDs barely capable of 100 lumens and the ones that are well made and capable of more light, usually are a bit above your budget. They are also larger lights. A thousand lumens is no small feat either, at least not in actual out-the-front lumens. Many manufacturers still exaggerate their output. I'm not saying that you won't find what you're looking for, just that you may be searching for a while.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your best bet is to cut and paste this questionnaire and your responses into a post.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...hlight-Recommendation-Checklist-Updated-MK-II

You may want to explain your need for 1000 Lumens in such a small package, as LF said, there will be problems with overheating and the runtime will be laughable.
If you are considering one of those zoomie 1000Lm Ebay lights - don't, it will be as much use as a chocolate teapot but more dangerous.
Good luck.
P

archimedes

Flashaholic
This type of torch is referred to as a "zoomie" and they are not especially popular on CPF, for a number of reasons.

Speaking very generally, many (or most) can be limited in both overall quality and water-resistance.

If the zoom function is a priority for you, however, you may want to search Sky Lumen with the term "zoomie" to see the currently available options. V54 is a highly respected modder here on CPF, who works to improve and maximize the performance of stock production flashlights. He also offers an extended warranty (at additional cost) on the items he mods.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
If you can find a lenslight, they make a pretty good zoomie as zoomie lights go. However, I don't know of any zoomie light that I would describe as having a wide beam. They feel kinda "tunnel vision" to me. Even when zoomed out, the beam is not very wide. It is, however a very even beam. Like a mule that has a narrower throwier beam, if that makes any sense. If you want a wide beam, maybe a mule would be better. Also the short flashlight length will be pretty easy to find, as mules are generally very short lights. Just know that range will be limited.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Does anyone know definitively if LensLight are still in production, or not ?

I haven't seen new ones for sale anywhere for some time now.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't think you are going to get that many lumens for that short of a light as you just about need to go 18650 to get 1000 lumens and my cheap 18650 zoomies that don't even do 500 lumens are 4.5 inches at the widest angle... longer by about 1/4 of an inch extended (narrow beam). A 1000 lumen one would probably have to have a lot better components and heatsinking which add to length so 5 inches maybe 6 inches unless you can get a twisty zoom 18650... and I doubt they make them. I do have a 1000 lumen (more like 900 or so) 18650 right angle headlamp (not a zoomie) that is about 4 inches and cost me $30 from Amazon... Wowtac A2S. They probably make other brands of right angle headlamps that you can use as a flashlight that aren't zooming in that length range.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Why does it have to be 1000 lumens?

When I first joined CPF I thought the only good flashlight is a zoomie. Pure flood or pure throw capable.
As a rule my zoomies collect dust now. I found a light with a good punchy throw by looking at the candela numbers but also discovered that a water bottle cap makes it an instant flooder. But a 4" long light that can sustain 1000 lumens is still an idea that is waiting on physics of batteries and heat sync to develop. 500 is definitely do-able though.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
As much as I enjoy my cheap zoomies it isn't because they are "perfect" lights it is because cheaper lower output lights don't have the punch in a normal reflectored beam to get what a zoomie can get done. When I can afford a 500/1000 lumen decent flashlight I figure my zoomies will probably gather a little dust. I will probably use them still in rough service where they can be damaged or destroyed though.